Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Worth Updating About

Wow, how could we have missed three consecutive updates to The Doomed Speed Demos Archive? I don't know, but there's still plenty of relatively recent demos from Rich Sham, Alexis Neuhaus, Grazza, Maikl, Donatas Tamonis, Never Again, Viper-X, Opulent, Natalya "QWERTY" Shilyaeva, Gusta, Espi, Eugene Kapustin, Face.uk, Paul Gilbert, Torn, and Andrey Budko.

First Post! Man, there sure are alot of people who can just blaze through these doom games. I really need to practice my strafe50 skills!

Remember that a demo is often the one attempt in several dozen (or hundred) where everything goes right, and the player doesn't screw up.

Grazza said:

Remember that a demo is often the one attempt in several dozen (or hundred) where everything goes right, and the player doesn't screw up.

That's exactly why I don't do demos. It seems that I normally kick butt at doom, but whenever I try to record a demo, I always suck. Just my luck... (Hey, that rhymes!)

I think anyone's first few recording attempts are liable to be rather shaky. You get used to it after a while though.

Some demos don't require lots and lots of attempts (e.g., a nice methodical max demo will need fewer attempts than a crazed NM run with some difficult tricks), so don't be put off by that notion either.

Exactly. Nothing helps keep your DOOM skillz in better shape than daily (or thereabouts) demo sessions.
And don't worry about strafe-50, Xaser, few ppl use it, even on demo scene.

Heh, that reminds me, I should start recording for rw again. Still miss quite some maps. :)

You know what, I was watching Maikl's Chaos3 recordings. It was pretty interesting to watch him attempt maxkills on those unusual maps, requiring non-standard tactics. It must have been some work on some parts, but the result was good. At least E1 and E2, as E3 practically lacks enemies. I wonder when the wad was made, as it's some sort of 1337-type wad.

Not old enough to be good =).
I could barely sit through the first episode, halfway through the second went to sleep, -timedemoed through the rest (a first for me). Horrible, utterly tasteless stuff, on par with BLACKHELL.WAD and CARNAGE.WAD, his earlier demos from last winter. I wonder the nightmares those gems must induce were the real reason he was away from DSDA for several months ... =)

Yes, the design of this wad was more in keeping with the standards of the first half of 1994 (though there were some excellent wads from that era too, of course) than 1996.

Still, no one forced Maikl to play it.

The only demo-recording effort that has given me nightmares was Sv05N422.lmp, but for quite different reasons. :-/

When I started making demos I really did bad. Demos aren't the same as actually playing because you have a goal to meet, and you can't save. When I did my E4M2 demo it took about 100 tries to actually finish it because I wasn't used to not saving on that level.

I did a few speedruns and let me tell you, those are the most hectic. I'm still about 30 seconds off from some of the Compet-N times but I'll probably never do any better.

Oh, by the way, I remember the following of speedrun demos Grind2 had so I'm making my newest Grind level with speedrunning in mind.