Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Sprite recoloring help

I'm currently working on a chaingunner replacement for Freedoom, and I want to use the player sprite as a base. However, I want to change the uniform color from green to grey, and possibly the visor from blue to red. Doom makes it seem easy; all you have to do is check a box in Dehacked, and boom, the green is changed. Of course, that's no good, I need to actually change the sprites. I'm wondering if there is some tool out there which could make this process easier. Any suggestions?

I used to have a program that would do that, but it's not on my hard drive anymore. PSP should have a color replacement tool that can do the job. I at least know PSP 4 does.

Paint shop Pro can do wonders with recoloring. I've recolored TONS of stuff using it, including a blue Cacodemon, a Red SS guy, and several other things. It's a must-have for anyone who recolors stuff.

Alas! I can't even download the trial version, on account of my 56k modem. Argh, rats! I suppose I'll have to wait until I go back to school (we've got blessed broadband in all the dorms).

geekmarine said:

I'm currently working on a chaingunner replacement for Freedoom, and I want to use the player sprite as a base.

are you basing it on the freedoom player sprites or the doom2.wad player sprites?

if the doom2.wad ones, then that will be rejected since fraggle is being very careful about the content of freedoom so sprites can't be based on existing copyrighted sprites

No no no, the Freedoom player sprites, of course :P. I'd never use copyrighted material for Freedoom. I even went so far as to replace all Doom graphics on my crappy Doom web page with Freedoom graphics. Anyways, the only reason I'm even bothering is that I'm tired of being perforated by "Freedoom graphic not done" signs.

When I made the dark imp sprites I used Photoshop 7.0's replace color option. This was particularly useful because I recorded the action and then automated it. Photoshop recolored all (60?) the sprites in about 15 seconds. Then I got down to the serious editing work.

I was gonna use Nanami's Dark Imp in my WAD, but it was too light; it didn't go with the Dark Daemn and another enemy I plan to put in. So I took the the normal Imp sprites, Gray Scaled them in PSP 3, and then decreased their brightness by -29. This gets a very nice, very dark sprite. Of course, now you have to replace the gray background with Cyan, which isn't hard, and recolor the parts you don't want gray/black. For this I took the original color verisons and erased everything but what I wanted in color (the spikes and eyes). Then you can add them in a layer in your favorite editin' program. Sadly, I have no layer program, so I'm stuck loading the gray scale and color verisons in as patches in Wintex, putting them on top of each other in the texture editor, taking a screenshot, and then editing the screenshot so only the sprite is shown. Yay.

Deselect "Draw Opaque" in MSPaint, set the color you want masked as the background color and paste the colored parts on top.

In PSP you can use the colour replacement tool. Select the colour to change in the foreground, and the colour to in the background. Paint with it and it changes all pixels that colour to the other. Right double click and it changes all pixels of that colour in the document. Repeat for all the colours you want changed. It gives you greater control over the changing that you get to do.

Scuba Steve said:

In PSP you can use the colour replacement tool. Select the colour to change in the foreground, and the colour to in the background. Paint with it and it changes all pixels that colour to the other. Right double click and it changes all pixels of that colour in the document. Repeat for all the colours you want changed. It gives you greater control over the changing that you get to do.

I can't do any of that when I edit my doom sprites cause it says i have a paletted image, basically the only colors i have to use are in the picture, and once colors change they become even more limited...so how do i change this in order to use color replace?
BTW cyb, massmdo is hard on the 3rd mission, those bats must do 20 damage, i start with 100 and by the time i've seen the bat, it's on top of me and by the time i've switched from the lighter to a weapon, i'm dead already, bah...well I'll make it yet.

You can edit my imp sprites if you like, as long as you still credit me.

Of course I'll still credit you. I'd be a bastard if I didn't. :)

Deselect "Draw Opaque" in MSPaint, set the color you want masked as the background color and paste the colored parts on top.

Holy Shit. Wow, I can't beleieve those bastards hid that feature like that.

That's not in PSP 3. :( I don't feel like downloading anything else. :P

Xanthier said:

I can't do any of that when I edit my doom sprites cause it says i have a paletted image, basically the only colors i have to use are in the picture, and once colors change they become even more limited...so how do i change this in order to use color replace?

Simply increase the colour depth to 16 million colours. It's under the 'colors' menu in 7.0, I'm not sure about earlier versions.