Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coffin Henry

Doom Music

doom's music, is so, incredibly, awesome.
my band and i are planning on reworking the themes. ive written some tabs and im generally just figuring out all the songs or whatnot. but any help would be greatly appreciated. i dunno if any of you play anything but if you've come up with any stuff if you could post a tab or whatever that'd be cool.

peace,
Long live Id!

That happens sometimes, no problem.

You can extract the MIDIs from doom(2).wad and view the staff notations in a good MIDI editor. I don't know if there's any program to convert pre-existing MIDI files or staff notation into tablature, but if all else fails you could do it manually.

aye, that i do find it interesting. im just tabbing it by ear. its slow going but endlessly entertaining. but the thing that is so awesome about it is that its all there: the drums, the bass, the guitar parts, and somtimes the rhythem guitar parts. its just so brilliantly concieved. im gonna enjoy this.

everything is tabbed... if you can't find something, guitar pro 4 can turn a midi into a tab (which will need a little reworking just because of the nature of it)

good luck, make sure to use decent distortion

o you know it.

hey i figured out the tune to the suburbs.

E-------------------------------------------
C-------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------
D--2--9-8-2---10---9------2---9-8-2--7-5-4-2
A-------------------------------------------
E--0--7-6-0---8----7------0---7-6-0--5-3-2-0

leave out the top string if you want. or make it into a powerchord.

this only took my like 30 seconds. the big thing is i actually got something done that i said i was gonna do! boo yah.

To easily find out how instruments are being played in the DooM MIDIs, first extract the music using deepsea or something, then get your hands on the MODplug tracker (at modplug.com). There you can load the MIDI and have the song displayed on your screen tracker-style (sorta like what Coffin Henry posted, only different).

Unfortunately Modplugtracker can have some trouble finding your midibanks to actually play instruments, but you can easily load your own samples to replace each instrument (if you do that one at a time and play the song after adding just one instrument, you'll find out exactly how and when that particular instrument is played).

Perhaps nice to know: MODplug also writes MOD/XM/S3M/IT, which can be played as music lumps in ZDOOM 1.32 and compatible.

I know what you mean, but still it may help a bit to see how some of the softer and lower baselines are set up. Just try and download the tracker ZIP by clicking here and check what I did to D_ROMERO.MID (the first time I used MODplug, a little over a month ago), downloadable here. Please note that the music is prolly not finished yet and that the volume is too low (to be used in a game), but I hear that it's fun to listen to... Have fun :)

ps. Winamp can also play MOD/S3M/XM/MTM/IT etc... for those who really really REALLY don't want to download modplug tracker... Good luck with it and if you have any pointers for me (or you finished your song), I'd like to hear...!

Heh no, one of my many regrets is that I never took the time to lear... what am I saying, I'm still young enough to learn :P hehe

Nah, all I can hit is some chords on a keyboard :P I have the most fun listening to other people's music or use a simple tracker to make ingame music (which people won't directly listen to anyway) :P

Does anyone else like the kinkiness remixes? They're my favorite ones, that guy is pretty talented.
kinkiness.de/doom.html
Looks like he took down the songs temporarly. I remember that page said that he was working on the TNT remixes, so maybe that's what the 31.08.03 refers to.

/me bookmarked the doom remix section...! Will keep checking kinkiness.de too...!

Thanks for the feedback Grimm, I'll try and make more :)

A band called Epiclore also did a good metal medly of Doom songs. Look for "Knee Deep In Doom".

Does anyone know where I can find some decent or interesting remixes of E2M2? It's by far my favorite Doom song, I play it almost every day. I'd really appreciate it.

Bloodshedder said:
Of course, there's always Doomworld's music remix page, which is so deeply buried I'm not surprised no one knows about it.

You guys could unearth it somewhat by placing a link in the Music section of the menu on the main page, which only has links to Kniggit's and Tolwyn's MIDIs, assuming there isn't a problem in doing so (copyright crap and whatnot.)

I tried doing that myself using DW's content management system, but it doesn't want to show up. Someone higher up will have to add it, and I've already tried asking but it seems to fall through the cracks.

scorpion could you give me a link right to the dl page of that modplug tracker thing? i cant find it, but then again, im mildy retarded sooo.

thanks.

Heh sorry for responding so late...!

You might wanna start with loading my (or another) XM-file into it. The thing reads files with MOD, S3M, MTM, IT and whatnot as extention.

Once loaded, click on the pattern tab and hit the play button on top. See the notes move on your screen? The different instruments used can be found under the instruments tab and click on the Comment tab to find out what I had to say about it.

With instruments (wavs, smp, pat, xi, etc) and some clean patterns you can start adding notes yourself (by hitting the record button, or <Space>), or just practice. Just remember that Q-P and Z-M are the white keys and 2-9 and S-J are the black keys (and then some)...

I learned it by looking at other people's songs, it helps :)

Good luck!

Good luck with it - you've got lots of support from me, because I long for some good remixes. Sadly, I know just about zero about how to make music so I can't exactly help you out.

I hope you're going to make the ambience in the ambient Doom tracks more scary if you can.

Disorder said:

Does anyone know where I can find some decent or interesting remixes of E2M2? It's by far my favorite Doom song, I play it almost every day. I'd really appreciate it.

Okay, sorry for kicking this thread up. I found an E2M2 remix, but I'd also like to know if there are any Map30 (opening to Hell) remixes out there. I found none.

scorpion said:

ps. Winamp can also play MOD/S3M/XM/MTM/IT etc... for those who really really REALLY don't want to download modplug tracker...

For the most part, this is true. Winamp will play most files in these formats correctly, however its support is not quite as accurate as Modplug Tracker/Player. It's a small amount of files that aren't played correctly though, maybe 1 in 50 or 1 in 100.