Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pathos

Radeon 9700, v0.66.2, MS opengl renderer?

I've got an ATI Radeon 9700 pro, and I was trying to run the 0.66.2 version of zdoomgl just to kind of demo the eyecandy stuff to a couple of friends and for some reason it's defaulting to the MS opengl renderer instead of the ATI one.

The .74 version detects and uses the ATI one just fine, unless I goof up an opengl setting in the ini file. So thinking there might be a incorrect setting, I deleted the .cfg file from the 0.66.2 version and restarted to clear out all the settings but it still defaults to MS opengl.

The problem being of course, is that zdoomgl runs like a froze turd with the MS renderer at anything higher than 320x240. .74 runs real nice in 1600x1200 with the ATI renderer :)

I'm using the latest set of official catalysts from ATI's website. Not sure if it matters or not, but I'm also using directx 9.0b. Has anyone seen this problem before, and what can I do to force the ATI opengl renderer? Or is my memory failing me and it has always used the MS wrapper?

Thanks in advance!
path0s

Hmm, that's very strange. I'm not sure why it would be using the MS OpenGL driver. Is there a copy of opengl32.dll floating around in your ZDoomGL directory?

Nope.. However, the only version of that file on my system was created by MS and has a version of "5.1.2600.1106". I'm running XP sp1.

What would be the basis for zdgl to select the MS drive over the ATI driver? Such as if there's something set in the cfg file that isn't supported by the ATI driver? I've ran into that with .74.. Changed the setting back and it selected the ATI driver again.

I do run rage3d tweak, which is a tweaker for dx and ogl that lets you turn on/off different internal registry entries. Maybe I'll play with that just to make sure everything with ogl is set to the default.

If it is something in that, I'll post which setting it was that caused it for prosperity. It'll have to be something that is supported/ignored by .74 that isn't by .66

Thanks again :)
-P

Which .bat file are you running when starting 0.66.2? For the 9700, you should be running "agp.bat". Also, make sure the "vid_defbits" cvar is set to 16 or 32 in the cfg file (although you'd know about that one since it'll look really funny if running in 8 bit mode).

Ok.. I think I've figured out all my problems :)

The MS renderer thing must of been something with my opengl settings.. I uninstalled the drivers and rage3d tweak, nuked the install directories, nuked the ATI, rage3d tweak and video control keys in the registry, and reinstalled the drivers.

It was using the ATI renderer again!

One problem.. The screen was garbled beyond recognition.. It kind of looked like how a jpeg looks if it's become corrupted. Sorta like thick horizontal multicolored raster lines or something.

Fixed that problem too. The culprit? Multiple desktops. The 9700 lets you use 2 monitors at the same time, which I can't live without now :) I got a wild hair to try and see if turning off the 2nd display did anything.. Presto change-o gldoom in 1600x1200 32bit color, and all the eyecandy of .66...

It sorta seems to me that in fullscreen mode .66 sees the entire desktop resolution and creates the display area the size of the main monitor, but makes the actual video the entire resolution across both displays, but packs it all into the created viewport on the single monitor.. Make any sense? :) No need for concern anyway though, .74 runs perfectly fine with both displays enabled.

Now that I'm thinking about it.. Not that you don't have a full plate or anything already, but do you think it'd be worth anything to make zgl support 2 displays somehow? Maybe have hotkeys set up that would let you cycle through the map, a score billboard, or copy display (like an overhead display at some arcades). I suppose another use could be like a split screen game between 2 people on the same machine, but each having their own display. I dunno.. Just a thought :) Don't beat me too hard for asking! heh heh

BTW, you're a coder. If you haven't checked out running 2 monitors on the same machine, you have no idea what you're missing :) I've been running em since the matrox G400 first came out. I could never go back to 1 display ever again.

Once again, thanks for the quick responses :) You rule!
-P

Heh, I've thought about dual displays, but have kept my distance so far for a couple of reasons. One is that I only have a lowly Geforce2, so it doesn't support dual monitors anyway. The other big reason is I like high resolutions (I work in 1600*1200) and it's prohibitively expensive to get 2 LCD displays that support that resolution and 2 19" CRT's just wouldn't fit on my desk :)

One day I'll talk my work into getting me hooked up with 2 LCD's, though (I work from home, so I'd be able to test on the work machine) ;)

Actually, Timmie, It depends on what version GeForce2 you have, but some do have dual monitor support. I know my GeForce 2mx400 can do it. Mine was a later version of the card though.

You can also add a second PCI adapter in the machine and winders will pick it up and use it too. Depends on the version, and I can't remember when MS started supporting it. I know 2k and XP does. Probably ME too. Just make sure that if your mb's bios has the option, that you tell it to init AGP first.

-P