Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

For ppl too lazy to download the Jdoom hi-res textures...

I've created a compact version by doing the ol' shrink/resize ,color reduction and touch-up methods.

http://www.furnation.com/chrisdragon/doom/hitexwad.zip (3.4mb I believe)

hirestex.wad is for doom2, hitexdm1.wad is for regular Doom. Works fine in Legacy, should work fine with Zdaemon and ZDoom/GL.

One last thing: You can't use these if level wads have a new TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2/PNAMES lumps in them or else some textures won't show correctly. Flats work fine

uh, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this TOTALLY DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF HIRES TEXTURES

Cyb said:

uh, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this TOTALLY DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF HIRES TEXTURES

I know, but I don't think people on dial-up would want to download a 150+ MB zipfile, don't you think?

Mr. Chris said:

I know, but I don't think people on dial-up would want to download a 150+ MB zipfile, don't you think?

I think you're still missing the point.

mewse said:

uhhhhhh i cant believe you've done this

I was bored that's why :P

Mr. Chris said:

I was bored that's why :P

Yes, but where's the point of hi-res textures in low-res?

The Flange Peddler said:

Uhhhhh not to sound too critical. But these low quality hi-res textures are worse than the originals.

IMHO even the full size hi-res textures are worse than the originals. Somehow they completely take away that special Doom feeling. Some of them even look quite cartoonish. I most certainly know I'll never use them when playing Doom...

Graf Zahl said:

IMHO even the full size hi-res textures are worse than the originals. Somehow they completely take away that special Doom feeling. Some of them even look quite cartoonish. I most certainly know I'll never use them when playing Doom...

well the irony here is that quite a few of the hires textures are the originals, only resized to 200% with a couple filters applied which generally looks pretty bad, and now these are those resized... so yeah

Cyb: almost all those "filtered and resized" textures were fixed with original drawn ones.

One could do that to any new ones made in hi res, for the purpose of using them on engines not supporting hi res, but yeah...

Too bad Doom has stuck to it's own palette, or the graphics shrunk down would look better on some textures (BROWNGRN and PANBLUE for example). If it allowed any palette of 256 colors, I'd be happy.

OT: how do I make text with a link in it?

Like this, except that all < > = [ ]:

Text

Actually, at least some of them appear to be in Doom's pallate. PANBLACK, for example. I love the hi-res textures. Of course, it obviously doesn't feel exactly like Doom, but how could it? Doom looks as any other game on the market with the hi-res textures . . . when you ignore the sprites at least. :P Heh, now that I think about it, actually looks better than some games I've played.

BlackFish said:

Because they still look better.

uh, no. i have the high-res textures and i can't even see how anyone could use those, let alone a low-res version of them.

hmm. The hires textures were bad enough as hires, IMO :P
Unless you really liked the new hires textures to begin with, you are not going to like the lores hires versions! :P

NiGHTMARE: get on IRC or check your mail.

Holy cow, hi-res textures conveniently shrunk to low-res. This is probably the best idea since sliced bread. Possibly the best idea evar.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the sprite models too. I really want to see how Doom looks like with models, but I don't want to spend all that time downloading it so I'll get the sprite versions.

Heh... postcount++

Nanami, you mean this is the best thing since sliced bread conveniently glued back together...

[homer]Mmmm... Glued bread...[/homer] Well, I think I'm just going to have to download this, at least for a laugh or something. But you know, I agree with Nightmare, why not just use Freedoom's textures?

Mr. Chris said:

I've created a compact version by doing the ol' shrink/resize ,color reduction and touch-up methods.

I think I have the "Copy a DVD to a CD without compromising the quality!" spammer identified.