Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

Phobos Rebuild - beta test wanted!

Okay, so the problem mentioned by me in "Node Builder problems" has been solved. I'd like to thanks Biffy for his... misc. help, and for being so eager to help.

Anyways, solving those problems enabled me to finish a lil' map I was working at. And if you like the E1 climate, you may find something interesting in it.

Currently I'd like to invite any and all testers to play, view and complain about the map. Any opinion replies are welcome.

The site is at strony.wp.pl/wp/doomos/index.html
There are a few screenies also.

Motherf*****... okay, so the adress has ben changed. Shit sorry for the trouble guys. No engineer, it's not bandwidth. I made a mistake typing the URL.

The map has just been modified, I put some more Deep water zones, blocked the DOORTRACKs, and added a few translucent lines.

Hope That'll work.

that's not fair. I'm gonna have to find a new site server... Try clickin on my hompepage link below. (there's no Phobos Rebuild map on it) If the same happens, I'll e-mail the map directly to anyone wishing to test it.

Maybe you where I could place a small, free www site?

Looks nice. This is certainly one of the better E1-clones I've seen.
I did find a few (minor) issues, mostly unaligned textures. But there was one thing that really bothered me:

In the outside area in the western part there are some walls where the ceiling height of neighboring lines doesn't match. In this case this looks particularly bad and it should be changed.

The files were sent to three of you. Enjoy!

Graf Zahl said:
In the outside area in the western part there are some walls where the ceiling height of neighboring lines doesn't match. In this case this looks particularly bad and it should be changed. [/B]

Yeah... I know. I'll change this before the second map's off. Sorry!

Good stuff. I really enjoy wads that force you to use the pistol. I wish it werre tougher though.

Assmaster said:

I wish it werre tougher though.

the first Doom maps weren't tough either, or were they? But don't woryy, I'll try to make your ass get kicked after two or three levels.

Oh, and while I'm here: The second map's done in 90%... It's name for now : "Waste Pumping Station"

NiGHTMARE said:

Umm, why?

Because something looking as good should work with DOOM, without need for source ports. I don't think anyone would know about Fava Beans or Return to Phobos if they were ZDoom-only.

P.S. did you get my msg re: nb_recol?

I completely disagree with that. It's not as if you can't simply download the source port in question. I mean, IMO Legacy is a pile of crap, but I still have a copy of it so I can play cool wads like Phobia and Nimrod. None of the ports exactly eat up much HD space either or require anything about a P300 either (GL ports being an obvious exception to the latter, but there are very few GL port only wads - I can think of only three).

If you're making a level for the original .exe, you usually end up having to spend hours upon hours trying to get rid of HOMs and VPO's (which is incredibly boring and tedious, so much so it sometimes used to put me off mapping for ages), plus you don't get to use all kinds of cool stuff like new linedef types, scripting, slopes, etc.

Oh and yeah I got your message. I thought the port about you not noticing any changes when you loaded it up in the game was a joke at first though, as it seemed quite obvious that it's intended for people making new levels :) The point about it not saying it's Doom 2 only is valid though (I thought it did, but I was wrong).

Okay... so the second map has been posted, along with four new screenies of the Waste Pumping Facility. The music used is, as you could have guessed already, the one form Doom's Nuclear Plant.

Also I've updated the first map to get rid of that stupid height difference, about which Graf Zahl spoke.

I guess I'm gonna have to mail the map to those three guys just like before... so I'm on it. It won't take long.

Enjoy again.

ellmo said:

Currently I'd like to invite any and all testers to play, view and complain about the map. Any opinion replies are welcome.

I downloaded the files d1env.rar and doa.rar, however, my WinRAR cannot decompress them, giving me error messages.

Ellmo, would you be able to send me the uncompressed files, to

kappesbuur@yahoo.ca

Try to download the newest WinRar from... let's say Tucows.com
It should be at least v3.11; if it still does not work I may send the uncompressed files to you via mail. However the d1env.wad is rather big, it has something around 1.3mb.

Thanks ellmo. Just after posting my request, the same thought occurred to me. I d/l'ed WinRAR 3.20 and all worked fine.

Good Pwads they are. Fun to play.

Use Zip Genius. It handles a lotta stuf, includin' ZIP and RAR, plus it's free.

just played map02. Good stuff once more! Im glad to see you didnt already throw in the chaingun.

There are a few texture misalignments here and there (the slime falls in that room where the imp is guarding the shotgun, for example). But it's nothing major. My only gripe is that it's still too easy. But im sure you'll take care of that soon enough ;-)

I just started playin' 02, and it reminded me of a crtiticism I had for the first. Don't use a switch to end the level, use the walk across lindef trigger. It's much, much better that way.

If I remember the second map ends when you cross the linedef somewhere in the depths of the nukage flow.

Oh, and by the way, the third map is on the run now. Since I want to make it a bit larger... and tougher than those before (bow towards Assmaster) it may take some time. After finishing the third I'll try to make about ten maps, to put them into one file...

So long now, I'm going to edit "the Purifier"...

Uhm, from judging the screenshot, some of it look alot like episode2 too.
I am sure it will be a great wad, but it don't look that much episode1'ish to me (at least map02 don't).

Yeah, probably I got Influenced by other Doom 1 maps. But You may be sure I'll try to keep away from Doom2 architecture. The third map (which is under construction already) is in my opinion the most Doom-like I've ever made. It will be hard to make them all in 'Knee Deep in the Dead' type, but most of 'em will be done in technical scheme.

Oh, and don't even think about finding the Chaingun in map03... there are none (another bow towards Assmaster)...