Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhilelM

Doom movie news

I noticed that too. They were probably made at the same time. Either way, I like both the game and the movie.

I wasn't quite a teenager when Tron was released. I played just about all the classics back when they were new (except Pong, but that's because I couldn't find it anywhere). Most of the time though, I just played the Atari 2600.

I am *so* glad I grew up on the NES. You have to admire some of the simplistic of those games, though. (But not all of them.)

EDIT:

Although I'm not sure which came first, the game or the movie. Both were made in 1982.

That's one of life's great mysteries. :)

zarcyb said:

Jesus, why all the "Doom movie will sux lol kthxbye" attitudes? OK so if there is a movie then it won't be anything like the games but then so is Doom 3. If they based the Doom movie on Doom 3 I think that'd be pretty cool. I'd go to see it anyway.

Um, Doom 3 still has you as the hero - a movie wouldn't.
Also, Doom 3's storyline seems to be pretty much true to the original.

I mean, you're still stationed at Mars, the gateways were still built by humans, >demons< still overran the base and you're still alone against them.
In other words: Doom 3 is still like the old games, but maybe not as heavy on the action as Doom 2.

A movie on the other hand could easily be some rotten crap like this:
Dumbfuck marine is stationed on a scientific Martian base for a reason we would all care for so deeply that we'd forget it soon after hearing it. The people at the base has found wacky alien artifacts that naturally interest them so they check them out. Alien artifacts turn out to be gateways to some wacky dimension from where wacky aliens pour through and kill everybody in the base.
Dumfuck Doomguy and a few retarded sidekicks fight the demons and manage to shut down gates without even going through, or they set the entire base to self-destruct and they themselves escape in an escape pod.
THE END.

Stuff like that is what I expect to come out of it, because that's pretty much the level of entertainment and "similarity-to-the-game-factor" that any other game-to-film movie has turned out to display. And the above would make me go into a berserker rage if I ever saw it, because it'd be a fate worse than any of the four Doom novels upon the community.

Why am I still discussing this lame topic?

Ichor said:

I noticed that too. They were probably made at the same time. Either way, I like both the game and the movie.

I recall the movie did come first, and the game was a spin-off.

dsm said:

A movie on the other hand could easily be some rotten crap like this:
Dumbfuck marine is stationed on a scientific Martian base for a reason we would all care for so deeply that we'd forget it soon after hearing it. The people at the base has found wacky alien artifacts that naturally interest them so they check them out. Alien artifacts turn out to be gateways to some wacky dimension from where wacky aliens pour through and kill everybody in the base.
Dumfuck Doomguy and a few retarded sidekicks fight the demons and manage to shut down gates without even going through, or they set the entire base to self-destruct and they themselves escape in an escape pod.
THE END.

Stuff like that is what I expect to come out of it, because that's pretty much the level of entertainment and "similarity-to-the-game-factor" that any other game-to-film movie has turned out to display.

*shakes head*

Is that ALL you can think of? Are you REALLY going to let every other video game movie ever made epitomize the outcome of all the ones to come?

I still say give it a chance. I also say it IS possible that somewhere in the world there's at least one person who not only knows the game like the back of his/her hand, but ALSO has the writing ability to write a non-cheesy script and include a few additions (original backstory, additional characters etc.) in it while stil staying true to the game.

If there've been any fanfics that have come close to this (sticking completely to the orginal story/setting yet making some successful additions to it), I'd like to see them.

Python_Junkie said:

*shakes head*

Is that ALL you can think of? Are you REALLY going to let every other video game movie ever made epitomize the outcome of all the ones to come?

I still say give it a chance. I also say it IS possible that somewhere in the world there's at least one person who not only knows the game like the back of his/her hand, but ALSO has the writing ability to write a non-cheesy script and include a few additions (original backstory, additional characters etc.) in it while stil staying true to the game.

If there've been any fanfics that have come close to this (sticking completely to the orginal story/setting yet making some successful additions to it), I'd like to see them.

*shakes head at this unfortunate soul*

I'm not leaving out the possibility that a game-to-film movie could be good. In more recent years we've seen an improvement, but I feel pretty sure (100 % in fact) that a movie based on Doom would suck.

It would suck for me anyway, because there's a 100% chance that it won't catch the feel of the game - the game concept of a guy walking/running about shooting stuff just doesn't translate well onto the big screen.
Also, from what I know about Holliwood, I'd say there's at least a 75% chance that there'll be cheesiness - lots of it.

And no, the comment by me that you quoted is not the best I can offer - that's the kind of response you can expect from me in a topic as dumb as this.

The only thing that surfaces more than rumours about a doom movie, are threads about rumours about a doom movie.

Now, what about a doom anime thing? I reckon thats more likely to happen and has a higher chance of being watchable. Heck, we could put one together ourselves...

Jon said:

Now, what about a doom anime thing? I reckon thats more likely to happen and has a higher chance of being watchable. Heck, we could put one together ourselves...

Heh, after making my current avatar I thought about making a long, animated Doom gif and unleash it in fan fics/pics :-P
But that thing is most definitely too ambitious for now, given the amount of stuff you have to animate.

dsm said:

*shakes head at this unfortunate soul*

I'm not leaving out the possibility that a game-to-film movie could be good. In more recent years we've seen an improvement, but I feel pretty sure (100 % in fact) that a movie based on Doom would suck.

It would suck for me anyway, because there's a 100% chance that it won't catch the feel of the game - the game concept of a guy walking/running about shooting stuff just doesn't translate well onto the big screen.
Also, from what I know about Holliwood, I'd say there's at least a 75% chance that there'll be cheesiness - lots of it.

And no, the comment by me that you quoted is not the best I can offer - that's the kind of response you can expect from me in a topic as dumb as this.

*tries to contain his anger for this pathetic, thick-headed loser*

That's the trouble with you, you're only thinking in 100% PURE TERMS of the game. I'm saying it has to go BEYOND the surface, and not just one guy walking around the base. That might be a little hard in the first games case since it had such a concrete setting to it, but a DOOM 2 movie would be easier to do since its levels were pretty bland and almost left to the individual player to decide how they might have looked in real life.

Like I said, there should also be a little more backstory in it before all the action takes place, such as the marine's trip to Mars, a short look into his day's duties, all of the scientific reasarch and hype that's happening sub-rosa while all this is going on (NOT in the terms you put it though), and a little twist I had in mind was a short cutscene in the middle of the movie just before the marine starts 'Inferno':

We see a silhouetted (sp?) figure in some dark, yet wide open space. He has a very inhuman voice yet speaks English, and he's talking to someone or something else in front of him. Specifically, he's saying, "We have begun. As we speak their people are chaotic and perishing exponentially."

A more evil voice responds, "Perfect. They will now have a reason to believe in us again. I sense a perfect victory. Is there anything else to report?"

The first figure responds, "A lone warrior was reported having penetrated the point of incursion and is now running loose here."

Evil voice: "No matter. One person cannot possibly withstand the power of this place. Nevertheless, send in one of our new weapons to intercept him at the main gate. No mere mortal can survive an attack by it."

The twist I mentioned is this: the first figure is an Arch-Vile, the second voice the Icon of Sin, and the setting in which they talk is obviously what Map30 is in DOOM 2, but no one knows this until DOOM 2, hence the silhouette.

Now one last thing, since I have class to go to soon; do yourself a favor and don't call a topic "stupid" or someone an "unfortunate soul" just because it doesn't agree with your (rather shallow) viewpoint. That's all I'm seeing from you: "OMG, a DOOM movie will suck whether it's purely based on the game or not, and anyone who doesn't see this is a dumbfuck." Please, a topic is only as dumb as its main point and the insight of its responses.

If you'll excuse me, I'm late...

Wow, Nice post Python_junky, I've been thinking the same thing in relation to DSM and his fanatic crap about doom, and that just says what I didn't get around to saying. It's very well said, Good Job. I like your idea for the start as well.

They better not butcher the damn movie and slap a PG-13 instead of R rating on it, I'll be pissed if they did. Doom is meant for the blood!