Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dr_st

Meaningless Questions

I'm so bored. In fact I'm so bored that I'd like to ask some stupid irrelevant questions and make a "quiz" out of it. Let's see if someone is bored enough to answer them, or to flame me and call me an asshole.

Q1:

What are four differences between UV and Nightmare skills in the original DOOM engine?

Q2:

How many portals are in the "Seven Portals" level on Hexen?

Blah, even if someone does reply to make a conversation I'd only read it in a week or so.

I wanna go home...

i think i know the answers to Q1:

in nightmare mode:

1)enemies respawn
2)enemies shoot faster
3)enemies recover from shots faster
4)cheats don't work

Close. I believe that attacking faster and recovering faster are two aspects of one effect called "fast enemies" so there is one more thing. Well, maybe more, but definitely one more, and I know that it is less obvious.

BTW, IDCLEV and IDDT cheats work on nightmare. IDMUS doesn't.

Damnit, I thought I should put it here. Oh, well.

Q3: What is the first level in DOOM2 where the BFG 9000 appears in single player mode?

Q4: What were the health and armor limits in DOOM 1.2?

Ammo is doubled in nightmare (i.e. a 20 box of shotgun shells gives you 40).

Well, I never play on Nightmare! difficulty.
I do know that most cheats will not work. And that you get hurt a LOT more easily.

Just wanted to check on my post.

Anyway - prower completed HateFactor's correct answer on Q1. So far no correct answers on the other ones.

Anyway let's move to happier things. It's Monday! Which means tomorrow will be Tuesday!

Well, I never play on Nightmare! difficulty.
I do know that most cheats will not work. And that you get hurt a LOT more easily.

Nightmare is fun to play. But beating the game without dying on nightmare is a hell of a task. I usually warp to a favorite map or something and play it from scratch on nightmare and see how many tries it takes to beat it.

What are four differences between UV and Nightmare skills in the original DOOM engine?

Monsters respawn, faster monsters, no cheat codes work except IDCLEV, and double ammo (just like I'm Too Young To Die).

Let me think.. I'm pretty sure it's seven.

Q3: What is the first level in DOOM2 where the BFG 9000 appears in single player mode?

Map08.

What were the health and armor limits in DOOM 1.2?

Rats, I should know this one... Hmm. 199% health and 255% armor?

Actually, it's 8.

Actually, it's 8.

Actually, it's 8.

Oh yes! You're right. There are the six portals, three on each side which lead to the Ice, Fire, and Metal levels. And then there's the one at the end of the map to end the hub. I forgot about the one right next to the beginning of the map that leads to the secret level. I didn't think of it because it's the only portal that doesn't use the swirling red design. It's just an invisible line.

OK, let's end this because I'm going home.

Q1: correct answer has been given more than once (fast monsters, respawning monsters, no cheats, double ammo)

Q2: Lát gave the correct answer. 8 portals.

Q3: No, it's not MAP08. MAP08 is the first level where you can get it. It appears on MAP07, in single-player mode, but you cannot grab it without cheating (IDCLIP) - it's in the area with the exit which doesn't open from outside, but it's there. You can call this an unfair question if you want.

Q4: AndrewB gave almost the correct answer. The health was indeed limited to 199%. The armor had no limit, only the integer limits, which were two bytes, not one, so probably 32767 or 65535. I managed to get over 300% once, I think on E1M6. "No limit" is a good answer.

OK, I'm outta here.

Q4: The armor had no limit, only the integer limits, which were two bytes, not one, so probably 32767 or 65535.

Really? The version I played, I couldn't get past 299% no matter how many more of those helmets I picked up. That was so old I don't even remember which one it was.

Hmm, mine was 1.2. I haven't really played 1.1. So never mind.

Some more:

Q5: What is the fastest-moving monster in DOOM/DOOM2? (I mean only moving, not attack rate or such things).

Q6: What are the 3 fastest projectiles in DOOM/DOOM2? (Arch-vile attack, bullets and lost souls do not count as projectiles).

Q7: Which Heretic item you'll never find twice in a level, no matter how hard you try? (at least in Single-Player)

Q8: Which Final DOOM level has more than 1 Player 1 starts?

Q9: Which monsters are never spawned by the final boss in DOOM2/Final?

Q5: What is the fastest-moving monster in DOOM/DOOM2? (I mean only moving, not attack rate or such things).

Lost soul in attack mode; Archvile otherwise.
Spider Mastermind in Doom I.

Q6: What are the 3 fastest projectiles in DOOM/DOOM2? (Arch-vile attack, bullets and lost souls do not count as projectiles).

Arachnotron's plasma, player's plasma, BFG shot.

Cybies, Spiderdemons, Nazi, Lost souls. Commander Keens :)

Q7: Which Heretic item you'll never find twice in a level, no matter how hard you try? (at least in Single-Player)

THAT DAMNED FIREMACE! GRRRRR!!!

I tried to place one marked DM-only in a few maps... sometimes it would remove the one in single-player to "place" the non-existent DM-only one in the single-player game.

If you're looking for the monster who moves around on the map the fastest, that would be the Arch-Vile. If you're looking for the monster with the highest "speed" entry in the EXE, that would be the Cyberdemon, who has a speed of 16. The Arch-Vile has a speed of 15. Yet the Arch-Vile is faster because of lower duration times in his frames.

BFG, Plasma Gun, Rocket I would have to guess. It seems so obvious, so I'm probably wrong, but I can't think of anything faster. Except maybe the player himself who can technically run faster than a rocket without cheats or -turbo. But I don't think the player is a projectile.

Heck, I'm not sure. The obvious answer would be one of the keys, but there are three of those. I don't remember much about Heretic items. I really don't know.

Q8: Which Final DOOM level has more than 1 Player 1 starts?

Map30 of TNT: Evilution.

Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Imp, Chaingun Dude.

OK, conclusion:

Q5: AndrewB gave the most complete answer possible.

Q6: Lament gave the correct answer (Plasma, BFG and Spider Plasma).

Q7: Lát gave the correct answer. It was a tricky question. You can place any item (even keys) many times on a level, but if you have several firemace spot, only one of them will actually contain the firemace.

Q8: Once again, correct answer has been given by AndrewB. The second player starts on TNT MAP30 are used to telefrag yourself if you step on the wrong platform in the first part.

Q9: Here I don't think there was a complete correct answer, although Lament and AndrewB gave partially correct answers: The boss monsters (Cybie, SpiderMM) and humans (Zombie,Sarge,Chaingunner,Nazi) don't get spawned, and so aren't lost souls and Commander Keens which are (technically) monsters. Imps do get spawned, but maybe on the higher skill levels they don't or rarely.
Or do some humans get spawned? Rats, now I'm not even sure myself. Why don't I have DOOM2 around here?

Hmm, I don't seem to have questions right now. I'll think of some later.

OK, there are a couple:

-- New Questions ---

Q10: What is sector tag 667 and where is it used? (easy)

Q11: Which DOOM/DOOM2 creature is not compatible with the DOS filename standard? (if you can understand the question you can answer it :)

Q7: Lüt gave the correct answer. It was a tricky question. You can place any item (even keys) many times on a level, but if you have several firemace spot, only one of them will actually contain the firemace.

And the dang thing is randomized too, you never know which place it's gonna appear at if you do place more than one.

I've got a question related to this; does anybody know why they did this? Besides that it would be funny to cause excessive hair loss amongst Heretic mapmakers?

Q10: What is sector tag 667 and where is it used?

Dead simple - the rising step after the arachnotrons are killed. Normally rises 16 pixels, occasionally it'll rise 32 pixels - not sure if this is true in ports or not, but has happened to me a few times with regular doom2.exe.

Q11: Which DOOM/DOOM2 creature is not compatible with the DOS filename standard? (if you can understand the question you can answer it :)

Pain Elemental? :)

Edited By: dr_st on 22 Aug 2001 02:07

Pfffft.

You mean if you were to save their frames to DOS files? The archvile; it has frames using [, ], and /.

Hey there.

Once again LáT gave the correct answers to the questions.

About that firemace, I too wondered what's the point of it. I guess they believed that the most powerful weapon should be a bit harder to get... The thing is I don't realize what's so damn powerful about the firemace. However, I haven't played Heretic enough to check its damage properties and all.

Next set of questions:

Q12: Which DOOM/DOOM2 monster doesn't greet you when it sees you? (please don't say "Commander Keen")

Q13: Everyone knows who troopers and sergeants are according to the DOOM storyline, but who are the troopers and sergeants according to DOOM.WAD?

Q14: Name 4 ways of exiting the level supported by the DOOM2 engine.

Q15: What DOOM2 level you absolutely cannot deathmatch on without monsters?

Q16: What was the original(?) planned name of the Mancubus?

Q17: Which Hexen level contains all segments of the 4th weapon in single-player mode? (not Deathkings)

Once again LáT gave the correct answers to the questions.

Damn it, I'm not a muscle on people's backs =P

About that firemace, I too wondered what's the point of it. I guess they believed that the most powerful weapon should be a bit harder to get... The thing is I don't realize what's so damn powerful about the firemace.

It isn't the most powerful, it's just the last one.

Q12: Which DOOM/DOOM2 monster doesn't greet you when it sees you? (please don't say "Commander Keen")

Lost Souls.

Q13: Everyone knows who troopers and sergeants are according to the DOOM storyline, but who are the troopers and sergeants according to DOOM.WAD?

Troopers=Imps.
Sergeants=Demons.

Q14: Name 4 ways of exiting the level supported by the DOOM2 engine.

Exiting what level? Any level? Switch/Teleport exit, Switch/Teleport to secret exit, but only works in specific maps in the original doom.exe/doom2.exe.

None. You're probably thinking of Dead Simple, but there is a second exit which is accessible in DM, although you may have to die a number of times before spawning in that room.

Fatty?

Dunno.

Q17: Which Hexen level contains all segments of the 4th weapon in single-player mode? (not Deathkings)

Each of the three tombs in the Necropolis, depending which player class you're using.

You mean audibly? Well that would be the Lost Soul. I can't think of a monster besides Commander Keen that doesn't do anything when it sees you.

POSS and SPOS...?

14: Name 4 ways of exiting the level supported by the DOOM2 engine.

Throw a switch to end a level, cross a line to end a level, kill the Romero head to end the level, and nuke yourself to end a level...?

Map30?

Supersumo? Fat Bastard? Lardbucket? Groggly Geff? Bob the Blob?

Umm, I'd have to guess on this one. The Desolate Garden?