Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xaser

Looping Ambient Sounds

I have seen a few vanilla doom wads that have Loopng Ambient Sounds, but I have no clue how to do them. Does anybody know how? I'm talking about the ones that can be done in vanilla doom, too, not any Source port specific things, as I want my WAD to be compatible with any port.

I remember in an old DM wad (was kinda like a big castle, with a room in the middle which had a big map to show where each player was - anyone remember the name?) which kinda had some ambient sounds. But all the guy had done was hide archviles in certain walls, and changed their normal walking sound to something ambient, like the wind or something. If you do it this way you're going to fast run out of enemies and other things to place in your map though. There may be a better way to do it, but I don't know it.

That's probably a better way. If it's only a 1 level wad you're making, you're unlikely to need all the decorations anyway (and having torches with crackling fire sounds would be cool anyway). Either way, it's going to involve a fair amount of dehackage.

There are of course a few code pointers that play sounds. Give those pointers to an item and make the frame that plays it repeat, giving it a frame duration the same as the sound for a constant sound, or you could do a periodic alarm or similar.

Enjay said:

There are of course a few code pointers that play sounds. Give those pointers to an item and make the frame that plays it repeat, giving it a frame duration the same as the sound for a constant sound, or you could do a periodic alarm or similar.

Thanx, Enjay! I tried that, and yep, it's what i'm looking for. You other guys had some interesting suggestions, too. Thank you, guys!