Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Falling to the floor

Something is bothering me since I saw this year's extended E3 trailer. It seems that when a zombie or a Demon is shot, it drops to the floor and instantly comes to a halt, just like that. No twitching, no slowing down of body movement after falling. It simply stops as if the body is glued to the floor. This makes the physics look somewhat flawed. Am I the only one here who gets a little irritated when looking at that?

By the way. What I describe can be seen at 1:47 and 1:56
Also, just after 1:56 it looks like Doomguy is walking on high heels, but that's another story.

Such details might simply be just that to you.. details. To me, if done correctly, it can add a lot to the reality of the game. So, to wrap things up, what I mean to tell you is that I feel that Doom 3's physics are lacking reality in some ways, and mostly when it comes to dropping to the floor. Discuss.

Come to think of it, it seems that this problem only occurs in scripted sequences. I remember seeing Doom 3 alpha's ragdolly physics in action and I don't remember seeing any 'glueing' at all. Can they improve this, or would that be hard to do?

I'd love the bodies to twitch and bleed out and shit after you knock em down with some 00 buck shot.

Yeah, I think that only occurs when they wan't the bodies to end up in certain poses for cinematic purposes. I annoyed the hell out of me every time I saw that fatty go down, looking like a bad extra in a cheap action movie.

AirRaid said:

Yeah, I think that only occurs when they wan't the bodies to end up in certain poses for cinematic purposes. I annoyed the hell out of me every time I saw that fatty go down, looking like a bad extra in a cheap action movie.

Yeah, that kinda bugged me too. Looked kinda bad.

Not much of a biggee if you ask me. Besides a lot of beneficial changes could happen to doom 3 between the release of that e3 trailer and it's supposed release date of december (or even march 2004)

Hey now, if Doomguy wants to wear high heels, that should be his decision, not yours. This is supposed to be the future, remember? I should hope that the prejudices of the previous centuries have been abolished by the time Doom happens. Props to Doomguy for his bold fashion statement.

Many men who have been up against powerful odds wore women's clothing and/or accessories. Or undergarments over their clothes, so just back off okay?! ; )