Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goaxis

Guitars and other instruments

After a growing interest in guitars and 6 months learning on someone else's acoustic, I have purchased an Ibanez RG 170. I can't take my hands off of it, I am obsessed. I recall chatting and hearing some of you guys play guitar so who plays which instruments here? Also, what is your equipment setup?

Me:
Ibanez RG 170 guitar through DOD Grind IT 40W amp
Yamaha PSR 240 Midi controller/keyboard, tons of midi/tracking/sequencing software (had jazz piano lessons for 5 years and going)
Ashiya III Alto Sax (for 4 years and going)

me i just sold my guitar after i got in my traffic collision, only got 150 and i paid 750 for everything, had:

Ibanez ICX-120 (Iceman)
Ibanez 25W Tone Blaster Amp

found out today my brother had a gibson sg special (black) but my mom gave it away when he died, which sucks 'cause i would like to have it so i can write a song for him.

I've just started playing the bass. I've gotten pretty good at it in the two weeks I've played, since I can already play a few songs. This is due to the fact that I play it everytime I'm at my computer, which is all day, everyday. It's pretty addictive.

The bass itself is cheap. Aria Pro II. My amp is a Crate.

I have a fender stratocaster clone. I used to play and practice hours and hours a day/night. I became pretty good, but never learned how to read notes. Which I regret now ( a bit). I played jazz and memorized some Hendrix, Steve Vai and Satriana Songs. Which are very nice to learn and play. I had lessons from some Jazz guy. I suggest to everybody to take lessons if you like to learn.

Lately (the last 5 years) I play only once and a while.

Iv'e been playing bass for a long while now, primarily I use a Jackson Concert Series Bass, stock pick-ups, bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, chrome hardware, Bass-Boomer strings. My mixer is a rack mounted 16 Channel 1642 DOD Analog. Various BOSS and ZOOM fx processors (how can anyone go on playing bass without having the ol' 506?). Various synth and keyboards, although lately we've been doing more metal than anything else, so any synth will just be done in software like Fruityloops. We have a Peavey PA, original Kustom Head/Stack (not the re-release) for the guitar, Peavey Mark VI Bass Head, Hartke Systems Bass Amp. We have tons of rack fx, you'll have to trust me on that one cause I'm not even gonna try to list all of them :P Needless to say we can get the sound we wanna get, heh.

I have an Aria STB bass I got off ebay ubercheap. Its in really good condition though and surprisingly good for the price I paid.

fraggle said:

I have an Aria STB bass I got off ebay ubercheap. Its in really good condition though and surprisingly good for the price I paid.

I paid for my washburn $220 (dolars), in my country. An excelent price.
I have too a 80watts Fender amp.

I have been playing the guitar for a little over three years. One thing i can say is that there is nothing more rewarding than learning to play an instrument you should really take some time out to learn one if you haven't already.

I've got four guitars. I fucking love them. Been playing for about 14 years now.

I still have the first guitar I ever got, a Cort Steinburger clone (those headless ones that look like a deformed cricket bat). Everyone who sees it laughs, and is then blown away by it's sound - it's a double humbucker configuration with a lot of balls. My accoustic is an "Artist Limited". I've never seen one before or since but it sounds sweeter than something you'd pay a grand for. I also have one of the early model Fender Squire Stratocasters which are closer in look and feel to the original US ones than the newer Squires. I actually think it feels better than my Dad's modern US Strat. I recently fitted a Cort humbucker pickup to the bridge. Strats are my personal favourite guitars. Guitar four is currently in pieces in the lounge. It's a sadly mistreated "Sergovia" (or something) Strat clone with an excellent sound Dad tells me is very "classic" Strat. I just got it and will be restoring it; cleaning up the wiring and pots, sanding and stripping the current finish and making it look nice and prurdy.

My amp is a 15 watt "Concord" valve amp which is nearly twice my age and creates noise comparable to a much more powerful one. They don't make 'em like this one anymore - the only work it's ever had done on it was a replacement power plug.

I've got four pedals, but to cut a long story short, do yourself a favor and get yourself a Marshall Guv'nor Plus distortion pedal. Nothing beats genuine Marshal amp distortion, but this pedal is pretty damn close and was very reasonably priced - $169 in NZ dollars which is probably about $90 US.

Lüt said:

Sears-brand acoustic.

Got it for $1 at a garage sale over a decade ago.

If that pic is anything to go by, I think you overpaid.

JoelMurdoch said:
I still have the first guitar I ever got, a Cort Steinburger clone

My first bass was Steinburger. :)

ooh, lesee now, what I got?

A Jim Deacon Electric Jazz Bass (Fender copy)
An Eko 6-string acoustic
A Marlin 6-string electric
A Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine/DrumPad
A Yamaha VSS-200(super valuable analog synth!!! It takes samples from an on-board microphone! you can hear your voice in four octaves!!!!!)

As you can probably imagine, that keyboard was great fun when I was three years old :)

i have a parker fly deluxe and i hate guitar and those who play the fucking instrument. ive wasted 10 years of my life on it and i swear one day ill never touch one again.

jon^c said:

i hate guitar and those who play the fucking instrument.

I assure you the feeling is more than mutual, dipshit.

ive wasted 10 years of my life on it and i swear one day ill never touch one again.

If you don't like it then why the fuck do you keep playing it?

jon^c said:

i have a parker fly deluxe and i hate guitar and those who play the fucking instrument. ive wasted 10 years of my life on it and i swear one day ill never touch one again.

i luboo

Gibson Epiphone for my acoustic and some Yamaha thing for my electric. I've been playing for going on eight years now. Unfortunately, I can't find anybody near me that wants to start a serious band.

DC

The HOLY SPIRIT is my instrument.
(I've just always wanted to say that.)

Used to take piano lessons... Now it's just my computer that I use. I might use a keyboard occasionally to figure out chords or whatever

Guitars:

-Ibanez RG7421XL (I don't think they make this one anymore)

-B.C. Rich Acrylic Warlock

...and some low-end Samick acoustic (my first guitar).

Equipment:

-Roland Dac-15xd guitar amp (tiny 15 watts, but it rules)
-Electro-Harmoix Octave Multiplexor
-Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
-Zoom Tri-Metal distortion pedal

monochrome said:

found out today my brother had a gibson sg special (black) but my mom gave it away when he died, which sucks 'cause i would like to have it so i can write a song for him.

This is unbelievably sad. Can't you track it down?