Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goaxis

Guitars and other instruments

Zaldron said:

This is unbelievably sad.

Erh, that his brother died or that he lost the guitar? :P

Both.

Also, a quick question: I'm starting to look into pedals. What are the most useful ones out there? Obviously, I'm wanting a chorus, fuzz, and wah, but what else is useful?

DC

Doom-Child said:

Also, a quick question: I'm starting to look into pedals. What are the most useful ones out there? Obviously, I'm wanting a chorus, fuzz, and wah, but what else is useful?

Useful? It depends on what type of sound you want.

Fair enough.

Generally speaking, I go for a Led Zeppelin/Black Crowes style sound. I especially love the Black Crowes version of Ramble On, as well as Big Todd Head and the Monsters' version of Tangerine.

DC

As I said it my original post, the Marshall Guv'nor Plus is a great distortion pedal. Curiously though, the Marshall pedals seem to sound best on non-Marshall amps. If you want a drive sound, then the Ibanez Tubescreamer would be my pick. The older models are better according to my Dad though.

Before you put cash down for any pedal though, make sure you can test it on your setup. Either bring it in or see if the music shop will let you take it home to test, or if they'll give you a money back guarantee if things don't work out. I say this because of my recent experience with Boss pedals - they sound great sometimes but when I try them on my setup they sound like ass.

I like Boss...

personally I am looking into pedals that are programmable and simulate a bunch of different effects such as the digitech ones

Psyonisis said:

All of Boss' distortion pedals sound like ass.

I have both the OS-1 and the DS-1 and they blow my Marshall pedal outta the water (I have a Vintaege Marshall Drive-Master, btw). A Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal and a Zoom 505 2 FX processor (although they're cheap, unfortunately the gap between processors is quite large, quality wise, 60 dollars for the 505.. the next one up could be around 200 dollars)

Ed said:

I have both the OS-1 and the DS-1 and they blow my Marshall pedal outta the water (I have a Vintaege Marshall Drive-Master, btw). A Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal and a Zoom 505 2 FX processor (although they're cheap, unfortunately the gap between processors is quite large, quality wise, 60 dollars for the 505.. the next one up could be around 200 dollars)

My Dad used to have a lot of Boss pedals when I was a kid and I remember them being pretty good. About a year ago I bought a Boss Super Overdrive and was so disappointed with it I ended up selling it. It sounded good in the store, but on my old valve amp which is so ballsy it distorts if you turn up past halfway, it sounded absolutely weak. I now have an Ibanez tubescreamer and it's great.

I tried a Boss distortion pedal - I forget the model but it was orange - at the same time as the Marshall Guv'nor Plus and was again disappointed. No matter what I did with the settings, it was scratchy, messy and gain weak. All treble and not enough balls. The dials seemed to have little overall effect on the sound. The Marshall on the other hand sounded tight with the settings low and screamed beautifully with them high. A subtle but significant difference.

My Dad agrees with me that a good sign of quality distortion is to play open chords with them. If the result sounds terrible then you should be looking elsewhere.

JoelMurdoch said:

Curiously though, the Marshall pedals seem to sound best on non-Marshall amps.

Back in December, I was at a music store looking at shit I wasnt going to buy, and while looking at the pedals the guitar tech told me that same thing. According to him, it's because the pedal creates a Marshally tone with the same type of tubes as a Marshall amp, which kind of cancels each other out in a way. Or something. Which is why it sounds better on a different amp.

Tobester said:

I was at a music store looking at shit I wasnt going to buy

Heh, been there, done that. I have a friend who always stops to look in car yards. I used to give him hell, but then when I was looking in the local music store at stuff I could not afford and had no intention of ever buying, I went home, called him and apologised :)

Tobester said:

it's because the pedal creates a Marshally tone with the same type of tubes as a Marshall amp, which kind of cancels each other out in a way.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I guessed. I suspect a similar phenomena was behind the widely different results I got with the Boss drive pedal.

These are simply the best distortion pedals you could ever have. Ever. I hope to purchase a Hot British sometime in my lifetime.

In the end, it's all a matter of opinion anyway. If you're going to play cheap garage sounding grind-core, you can go to some back-water pawn shop and buy a Metal Master for 10 bucks and have the nastiest sounding, feed-back soaked guitar sound you could possibly want. Personally, I like the BOSS DS-1 for my bass, it gives it just that extra crunch that I want.. instead of having to go to drop-c tuning :) Whereas a friend of mine plays Amon Amarth style rythm guitar.. he uses a Mesa head's built in distortion, which has that "chunk" sound to it, with a simple BOSS reverb pedal to try and combat that dryness Mesa usually has to it.

There's a million different sounds with all the combinations of your instrument, head, stack, and fx. It's impossible to say "Oh, BOSS sucks cause it made my Hondo Formula One guitar sound like shit through a Marshall stack".. I get a great sound from BOSS, Marshall makes my bass sound like I'm rubbing the strings on my grendle and fretting with my nutsack.

Ed said:

It's impossible to say "Oh, BOSS sucks cause it made my Hondo Formula One guitar sound like shit through a Marshall stack".. I get a great sound from BOSS

I've tried just about every Boss distortion pedal on an unbelievable amount of different setups and guitars, and I have NEVER gotten a nice sound. The worst one is probably the mega-distortion (it's a reddish coloured pedal), which made palm muting sound like an elephant taking a shit.

As for the DS-1 (or 2), I have no qualms with them.

lament said:

I really hate guitar.

I want a piano.

Ditto.

Actualy, I have a keyboard, I just am not very good at it...and its a shitty keyboard.

I have a Yamaha Pacifica-ish strat clone, an ESP M-100 (back then, I really wanted to be Kirk Hammett:)) and recently I picked up a beautiful ESP EC-1000 deluxe in see-thru black cherry which is amazingly...beautiful; sound and looks wise, as well as it fits my music style nicely, not to mention that myour band has mostly red colored instruments anyways. Oh yeah, and I have a piano too.

I just bought a Squier guitar setup, and I don't know why. :P

Came with a little Fender amp and enough misc. shit and teach-yourself shit to hopefully get me going.

lament said:

A (good) piano is likely better.

Different sound. This synth has practically limitless different possibilities. A piano would not be well suited for any form of electronic music, if you are talking about a normal piano.

And actually, a "real" piano isn't actually any better than an Andromeda. If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's a REAL analog synth. It produces perfect tones, just as a piano would. Gorgeous stuff. I'd kill for one.

But then, I'd just play with it a bit and sell it, because I can't play it.