Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

I Suck at Headlines

Joel Murdoch writes in that he's updated his GG Inc. site with a few things. He's reviewed the Doom 64 TC, talks about WolfenDoom EX, and of course makes note of Mordeth and Millennium:

It is with much regret that I have given up hope on Mordeth. In spite of much pestering I have not received an e-mail from project leader Gaston Lahaut in ages. I just don't have the time anymore, and with no feedback from him on numerous issues and no seriously needed help coming from the community...well, the words "sinking ship" pretty much sum things up. [. . .] I will most likely be doing no more for the Doom Millennium project either due to time constraints and because, well, I'm an idiot. It's basically still in limbo awaiting Zaldron's boss sprites.

Of course, there's a bit more to it than that, so get the full story.

pwned?

looks like the allure of a clicky button is too much.

*disappears back into the background*

BlackFish said:

he mentioned my mapinfo lump! hoorj! :D

btw, thanks to EDF I'm making a new wolfenstien pack. But I gotta finish SUPERRPG first.

You are aware that it is a tad hard to implement new sounds in EDF, right?

"Joel said a lot of "X sucks, Y rules" without any reasons to support his lame statements."

You want to support why you think his statements are lame? Heh, practice what you preach.

footman said:

Joel said a lot of "X sucks, Y rules" without any reasons to support his lame statements.

When you're someone as important as Joel Murdoch is here, you'll have room to talk.

I must agree with Vorpal and Ultraviolet, footman - what are you talking about?

I didn't say WolfenDOOM EX sucks, just that it's unplayable, largely due to the mentioned missing key.

And I was honest enough to admit that while I didn't like Doom 64, many people do. I normally don't review stuff I don't like, but I was so impressed by the detail and effort in the conversion I made an exception. I doubt other reviewers would be so forgiving. I thought I explained all the negative points pretty well, but if you want me to clarify anything please say so.

"Objective Review" is a contradiction in terms. There's no such thing. My reviews are my opinions, nothing more, nothing less. People are free to do with them as they please.

JoelMurdoch said:

I must agree with Vorpal and Ultraviolet

I didn't say anything agreeable... in fact, I probably wasn't even clear. It sounded too much like elitism, which was far from what I actually did mean. I was aiming more for recognition of seniority. I've never heard of footman, but I know that you did (was it SMMU or MBF?) and some other stuff so what I meant to say was that your judgement on the statements footman was criticising was probably trustable, whether the reasoning was shared with the rest of us or not.

Ultraviolet said:
(was it SMMU or MBF?)

He did stuff, yeah. Simon "fraggle" Howard (that Freedoom guy) and the legendary Lee Killough did those two, though.

myk said:

He did stuff, yeah. Simon "fraggle" Howard (that Freedoom guy) and the legendary Lee Killough did those two, though.

Heh. Oops. Memory... eaten by moths.

Ultraviolet said:

I was aiming more for recognition of seniority.

I know. Why do you think I agreed with you? :) I have been working with Doom for far too long after all (since about 1996 I think) so...er, gimme some respect yo...or perhaps not :)

I've never heard of footman

His name is familiar. I think he may be one of the Doom 64 crew.

I know that you did (was it SMMU or MBF?)

Myk's right. I didn't have anything to do with SMMU, but contributed a little bit of code to MBF plus did some testing.

As I've said before, I think Gaston Lahaut and I are the probably the main ones responsible for MBF turning into a full engine (it was originally an unnamed Doom PR Beta emulation project). Lee was very generous and helped me out a lot, and when Gaston came to me with the idea of friendly AI, Lee developed to the implementation you see today. He did a couple of other bits of code for us and then it all kinda steam rolled from there. Lee is a legend alright - he's probably fixed more problems with Doom than anyone, and found and fixed still more bugs no one knew of. Every beta he sent me seemed to have at least half a dozen fixes. I still remember his words about the original code as released by id - "It's a wonder it worked at all". I was very surprised to get an e-mail from him late last year. He seems to be doing quite well for himself and seems a lot happier and relaxed than when I last talked to him a few years ago.

I've also contributed some code and done testing for the Eternity Engine.

You would think that would attract a lot of attention from the gaming industry... did Killough ever get any job offers? I don't know too much about him other than Doom-related stuff.

Ultraviolet said:

You would think that would attract a lot of attention from the gaming industry... did Killough ever get any job offers? I don't know too much about him other than Doom-related stuff.

I don't know. Back in the MBF days I think he was working for HP. He's very much into the "hard core", abstract, technical type stuff (algorithms, hash tables, formulas and all the other stuff that makes my head hurt just thinking about) as opposed to games I think.

He's very quiet and modest, not the kind of guy to go looking for credit. Even if he thought Doom was bug ridden, I couldn't imagine him going up to John Romero (whom he knew) and saying "John, that damn code's buggy as hell" :)

JoelMurdoch said:

I don't know. Back in the MBF days I think he was working for HP. He's very much into the "hard core", abstract, technical type stuff (algorithms, hash tables, formulas and all the other stuff that makes my head hurt just thinking about) as opposed to games I think.

He's very quiet and modest, not the kind of guy to go looking for credit. Even if he thought Doom was bug ridden, I couldn't imagine him going up to John Romero (whom he knew) and saying "John, that damn code's buggy as hell" :)

Sounds like an interesting person to know in real life. Don't meet many of those...

JoelMurdoch said:

"Objective Review" is a contradiction in terms. There's no such thing. My reviews are my opinions, nothing more, nothing less.

It's funny you should say that, because I thought it was a perfect example of a review that provided plenty of factual information together with a (very!) clearly stated opinion. Even though you clearly disliked it, you remained focused on helping the reader form his own view on whether the product would suit him or her. In other words, an "Objective Review" in the best sense of the term.

Grazza said:

with a (very!) clearly stated opinion.

Heh.

In other words, an "Objective Review" in the best sense of the term.

Thanks...I think :)

Oh and Bill, I almost forgot - the tradition with DW GG Inc. news post headlines is to take a guess at what the GG stands for.

Bloodshedder said:

No you didn't.

[00:32:17] <Nanami> "I Fail News Titles"

I remember having said it at one point in time.

Maybe it's something someone else said.

Or something I thought of saying but never said.

It's also possible I'm delusional.