Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stphrz

Using a Final Doom Iwad as Doom2.wad

Recently I had my hardisk die on me. I thought I had everything covered as far as backups were concerned, and I did except for one thing. I haven't been able to locate my Doom2 cd. I think I may have loaned it out to someone and didn't get it back.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was, could I use one of the Final Doom Iwads as a substitute so I could finish off a Doom2 level I've been working on? If I'm careful not to use any of the Final Doom textures in my level will it still be fully compatible with someone running it with Doom2?

Did anybody ever do a texture pack that contains all the textures that are in Doom/Doom 2/Plutonia/Evilution that aren't common to all of those said IWADS?

Hmm... you know what would be freaking awesome? A hub-layout IWAD like in Quake that lets you go from one central location and select your episode. Perhaps it could even be made so that you have to beat a boss in a given episode before the next episode's access point would be unlocked. Meh, well, something like that. Just SOME way to have all the IWADs in one. Wouldn't be very legal.

My understanding is that the Plutonia and Evilution iwads both contain all the resources that are in Doom2.wad.

There are tools to convert wads from working with Doom.wad to working with Doom2.wad, and probably some wads that contain the Doom.wad-specific textures. I can't remember the details, and there are obvious questions about the legality of such a wad.

stphrz said:

Anyway, what I wanted to know was, could I use one of the Final Doom Iwads as a substitute so I could finish off a Doom2 level I've been working on? If I'm careful not to use any of the Final Doom textures in my level will it still be fully compatible with someone running it with Doom2?

Yep, just rename it doom2.wad and it'll be fine. You can even use it as an iwad for ZDoom (which I do on my older PC as I need DooM 2 v1.666 on there).

The Ultimate DooMer said:
(which I do on my older PC as I need DooM 2 v1.666 on there).

What do the Final DOOM wads have to do with v1.666 and why do you need that version for ZDoom which normally uses v1.9?

That's odd... I don't think any MUS lumps were modified between those versions, nor was the GENMIDI (or DMXGUSC, for that matter) lump changed. Is your DOOM II IWAD from the CD? You might want to patch the v1.666 one and it might end up sounding as usual.

The only reason I'm saying this is because of what fodders once said about possible slight differences between CD wads and the older floppy-based ones (that caused consistency failures when mixed,) more or less.

It's to do with some soundblaster tunes. In 1.666 (floppy version), one part of a tune (either the beats or the music) overrides the other. In 1.9 (cd version but still dos) the same happens, but the other way round. Which fouls up some tunes on one version or the other.

Of course newer soundcards don't do this, as all parts of the tune work fine together.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

It's to do with some soundblaster tunes. In 1.666 (floppy version), one part of a tune (either the beats or the music) overrides the other. In 1.9 (cd version but still dos) the same happens, but the other way round. Which fouls up some tunes on one version or the other.

I can remember that. It was certainly odd. I even had one track that sounded differently when used with DOOM.WAD instead of DOOM2.WAD even when using the same EXE!

Regarding the Final Doom WADS: TNT really altered some animated textures and switches (mostly by adding stuff to the right). Except for one switch (SW?SKULL) Plutonia only added stuff but didn't change anything else and the new Plutonia textures are much easier to spot in the editor due to their names. Which should make it easier to use if you want to make a Doom2 level.