Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

What do you like to do with Doom?

What Doom activities do you most enjoy? (Check all that apply)  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What Doom activities do you most enjoy? (Check all that apply)

• Single player with the default levels
    • Single player with PWADs
    • Cooperative play
    • Deathmatch play
    • Playing total conversions
    • Viewing and recording demos
    • Mapping
    • Making mods other than maps (New weapons, etc.)
    • Source code modification (port development)

What things do you most enjoy doing with Doom?

I like playing single player, usually with pwads but sometimes in the defaults. I also play deathmatch sometimes, which is fun. While I rarely play cooperative, I have found it to be a lot of fun sometimes (but sometimes it can be boring too).

Mostly I avoid TC's unless they're Doom continuations (STRAIN-type stuff) or a theme that interests me (not much I've found there).

While I do mapping occasionally, I don't really enjoy the process of mapping in itself, only the finished result.

Demos don't interest me a whole lot, plus I don't like running the DOS .exe's (Yes, I'm on WinXP). I'm not good at drawing sprites or composing music or anything like that. And I don't know anything about modifying source code.

So, what about you?

Single player with the default levels. I usually play the citymaps in Doom II. I imagine I'm saving my own town or something.

Usually SP, and I do like making my own maps. Occasionally I dm some on ZDaemon.

the_Danarchist said:

None of the above.

So you're only on this board because you like the community, or was there some Doom activity I overlooked?

If I recall correctly I think Dan once said he was only here for the trolling :P

I made a poll a while ago where the results suggested that a lot of people are here mainly for the trolling.

Anyway, I voted for SP+pwads and demo-making/watching. I also watch a lot of iwad demos though.

Everything except playing TCs and programming. I play Cooperative and DeathMatch only very rarely (but I certainly like them.) The things I like most of all that I do regularly are demo stuff (watching/recording) and wad making (mapping/modding.)

Draconio said:

So you're only on this board because you like the community, or was there some Doom activity I overlooked?

I havent played or edited Doom in 6 months.

Dang it. It's so very tempting just to say the first thing that came to my head when I saw this topic, but that would be irresponsible and immature, plus everyone is sick to death of it. Okay, I won't take it, but I pray to God that Scuba Steve will. Anyways, I like playin PWADs, TCs (there just aren't enough of those), and making maps (not that I ever make anything releasable). Wow, I can't believe you haven't touched Doom in 6 months. That's like, disturbing. I could never be appart from my Doom.

The Co-op is what I like most about Doom. I've never actually played a TC before, but I voted for it. Some day I'll try my hand at level editing. I've always enjoyed that kind of stuff...

Actualy, to tell you the truth, editing is pretty damn fun and probably was one of the factors for getting me out of my depression earlier this year.

Of course when I spent hours detailing my levels only to have them called underdetailed on /newstuff, it put me in a bit of a fit, but the end result was positive.

the_Danarchist said:
Actualy, to tell you the truth, editing is pretty damn fun and probably was one of the factors for getting me out of my depression earlier this year.

You're quite right, I spend far more time editing (albeit dehacked stuff) then playing doom latly.

More than one thing I can assure you:
*Play default sp levels.
*Play custom sp levels.
*Play coop with my brother when the opportunity presents itself.
*Sit and look at details in Doom graphics - possibly to get inspiration.
*Make modified sprites.

Sp, pwads, and editing. i sometimes watch demos, but not very often. I'd love to do some coop or dm, but on zdaemon all you'll ever find is dwango5 map01. Not that I dont like that map. But the rooms are always full. So I cant even join.

Shaviro said:

I like being a "game designer" on a "major" mod! ;)
In other words: mapping.

You never PLAY the game?
Must be really sad to be you ;-)

(No offense was intended in the above comment)

dsm said:

You never PLAY the game?
Must be really sad to be you ;-)

(No offense was intended in the above comment)

Yeah I play the game, but the sessions are getting less and less frequent.