Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, based solely on the information that is projected from the screen to my eyes.

1) Duke3D /me dodges thrown shoe
2) Gl Quake. Brown > Orange
3) Unreal. HL had a less saturated, more realistic appearence. But Unreal was just purty.

[edit]Notice the question was which was the better looking of the games. Gameplay has no basis here.[/edit]

Easy!

For the first, Duke3D. C'mon, really. Doom was an excellent game, perhaps or even likely better, but the places in Duke felt and looked like they WERE somewhere. They had a cohesive visual style. Doom is just random architecture laid out with not even so much as a nod towards realism or attempting to gather some sense of cohesion. Granted, that's not really a fault of the game so much as a factor of the design and the technology level of the game, but when comparing simply "which game looks better", there's really no contest. Throw in Duke3D's VESA modes and the decision is quite cinched.

As I said, though, it's not really a fair comparison. Duke vs. Quake would have been a fairer comparison.

Regarding GLQuake vs. Quake II, I would have to go with Quake II. Quake II is simply more advanced and thus better looking. One could argue that the visual style of GLQuake is more appealing, but I would tend to disagree. That's really just personal preference.

Now, if we were comparing the most advanced source ports for the two games, I would say Quake by a landslide. Tenebrae 2 demolishes anything ever done with Quake II, and even most commercial engines, graphically.

And really, Unreal vs. Half-Life? You can't be serious! Unreal, judging purely on visual style, is easily one of the most gorgeous 3D games ever produced, much less FPSes. Half-Life also has an excellently well-put-together visual style, which works on many levels, but it just doesn't quite match the atmosphere in Unreal, though it admittedly comes very, very close. The real killer in this comparison is when you move the comparison to one relative to technology levels. Unreal, in full 32-bit color, with 32-bit textures and (admittedly limited) EMBM, slays the comparedly bland Half-Life, even though Half-Life is actually a newer game (I may be wrong on that, correct me if so). While it is true Half-Life can be forced to run in 32-bit color, its Quake roots show through more than often in the form of low-res textures and low polycounts.

Now, if you had asked this just after Half-Life had come out? I probably would have been more willing to consider Half-Life as the winner in this comparison, solely due to the fact that nobody except people with 3dfx cards could run Unreal at any sort of decent framerate, and even then they couldn't run it in 32-bit color, thanks to the available 3dfx cards' lack of 32-bit capability. It wasn't until the release of Unreal Tournament that anyone really became able to run games based on the original Unreal engine on non-Glide-capable hardware, and even then it was a bit of a toss-up. In fact, even now, I just tried the latest version of Unreal (v226f) with the Unreal Tournament v436 renderers, and it still runs like a dog on my system (which is no slouch, packing a 2.41Ghz AthlonXP and a Radeon 9500 Pro).

It's worth noting, I think, that GLQuake is also significantly slower than Quake II, even though the latter game is doing more work. In fact, on my system, Tenebrae is almost as fast as GLQuake.

Probably.

OT: Anyone ever notice how I have a tendency to kill threads? Heh.

Um, yeah well, what do you want? How could they not be somewhat irked to trade words with weirdos that somehow ended up on the site staff-list after years of pretending to be cute little girls?

I'm sorely tempted to post "lp" and then close this thread.

Anyway, "cute" and "little" don't seem to tally with "turbo nazi dominatrix slut".

Ah, maybe you never had the pleasure to lay eyes on Kat's pic, then.

NiGHTMARE said:

Orange = better than brown.

Not when it's your turds after swimming in a superfund cesspool.

1. Doom (Much better art than Duke3D)
2. Quake II (Better theme)
3. Unreal (The waterfall...)