Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rellik

Machinima: Movies in DOOM

So all you fan fic-ers, ever thought of combining your stories and doom editing? Bringing your stories to life using the doom engine isn't that hard. You gotta be creative sometimes but it's still extremely possible. For loads of movies made with other engines check out http://machinima.com. For a very incomplete Machinima using the Legacy engine, go to my site here. I never got around to doing any audio for it so it's more of a silent film. :p

I just wanted to throw that out there and see what you lot think of Machinima.

I'd imagine you could do some great Machinima for zDoom using lots of cutscene scripting.

I haven't tried impenc.wad, but maybe that's what Ling's getting at: A big long cutscene. So, yah.

I'd rather wait for Doom 3 to be released. The D3 engine will make machinema movies seem much more "movie-like" and help the machinema movie to be a lot more immersive.

Somehow, machinema in the old Doom engine (or rather, the Doom engine enhanced with source ports) doesn't really get me all excited.

But with the quality of Q3A engine-based machinemas in mind, I can imagine some really kickass machinemas done in the D3 engine. One could make a fan-made Doom movie, heh.

With all the talk about the DOOM Movie all across the various id-game communities I've always wondered why more people haven't thought more about that. When you look at the released movies, it becomes pretty apparent that a group of animators could get together and make a damn good movie just using the game and very few new assets at all.

Uh, hello? The Invasion wad series from way back had those movies recorded from LMPs formatted to play from the Cheap Multimedia Machine... And this was like, '94-'96.

Rellik, we should start a group. Movies are difficult to do by yourself. For example, ndmovie.wad should have been a lot better. But I just didn't want to do all the crap alone, so it was short.

We could even make a modified version of Legacy. Legacy unforunately doesn't have a ton of control over actors. We could do ZDoom too, it would be stupid to leave it out. I just haven't gotten around to seeing what can and can't be done with ACS + extra ZDoom stuff.

I'll wait for ZdoomGL to be completed

*refers to last cut-scene of ZanZan..*

DarkWolf said:

I just haven't gotten around to seeing what can and can't be done with ACS + extra ZDoom stuff.

There's a tonne of extra stuff that's been specifically added for cutscenes and the controlling of actors. You can even add skins to the actors as you would a player.

I think most of this stuff is covered in the ZDoom scrapbook thread.

For right now I'm just gonna putter around with some simple short films, I'm not looking to start any more big projects till I get more of my own junk out the door. A version of Legacy geared towards Machinima would totally rock, and I've already got a suggestion: get rid of the loading indicator when it loads a new level. It'a annoying to have the transitions show that. :)

Maybe when this FreeDM thing gets farther along I'll have more hobby-time to use on it.

Heh, I might work on a script for a Doom machinema movie (but note that I'm aiming for the Doom 3 engine) - I don't expect it to actually make it into a movie (because Quake: The Movie ended up being way too ambitious a project and they ended up releasing a 'short' movie), but it might be fun to work on anyway :-)

Yeah, they cut Quake the movie because they realised that epics were a little more work than they anticipated. The resulting short movie was cool, but mediocre. There have been a few long epics. Nehahra was a great movie. I wonder if the new one from the team that made that will ever get done, Obsurus they were gonna call it. Something like Nehahra using the Tenebrae engine would look absolutely amazing.