Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

Hooked on Strife

Gokuma writes about the first Strife modification ever released:

I did some Dehacked-like editing and gave players a more useful version of grappling hook normally used by an enemy. I think Strife has the only instance of a grappling hook ever implemented in the Doom engine and now players can use it.

Of course, you can find this at Gokuma's pit of grotesque abominations, along with some DeHackEd-like specifications for Strife in the future.

fp! Yay! Strife rules. Hopefully, one day, this will maybe allow more Strife support in source ports.

How does this grappling hook work? Is it more like a Mortal Kombat thing where it draws an enemy closer or the TF version?

In mortal kombat, that was a spear. A grappling hook is something that pulls you towards an object/area!

Ralphis said:

In mortal kombat, that was a spear. A grappling hook is something that pulls you towards an object/area!

Yeah, from reading the text file it looks like that's what it does. Seems like a weird thing to put in a Doom engine game though, which is why I asked. How did the enemy that originally had it use this thing? Did it just try to grapple the player?

I added a link to an animated gif showing it.

The original enemy weapon does a little bit of damage on impact (only has missile damage 2), and then pulls the player towards the enemy who floats in the air. It's more of a throw than a direct pull. So the player is either thrown high into air to fall to their death, just plain slammed into the ground, or pulled up close for the monster to rip you up with a nasty close attack.

The pulling behavior seems to be attached to this particular projectile thing. So its giving frames, bits, etc to a player's projectile alone doesn't do anything special.

I just made the electric bolt look and sound like the hook, and then during its death frames, it shoots the real thing back at the player, except with its missile damage set to 0. When hits the player it throws them up towards where the original projectile hit and threw the hook from.

To grapple enemies and stuff and pull them around you have to shoot somewhere and stand so that you're between them and the initial projectile. Then get out of the way when the hook comes back so it hits them instead.

So basically this weapon allows you to do friggin huge jumps (see the gif I mentioned) and pull some other stuff around. You can't actually cling to the ceiling or a wall though. It takes some manuevering to pull an enemy right at you (should be nice in combination with berserk punch, which can be made available in a level).

Ralphis said:

Man, I'd die for even limited support for strife in zdoom.

Goddamn right. It's people like Gokuma that are taking the intiative to find out what makes Strife tick that could one day lead to Strife support in ports.

Ralphis said:

Man, I'd die for even limited support for strife in zdoom.

Time for Ralphis to die I guess. O_O

Depends how limited you mean. Zdoom can load Strife1.wad on top of an IWAD for one of the other games it supports, but all it does is allow you to look round. Most of the line types will not do anything and most of the items will show up as exclamation marks unless they have something equivalent in the game Zdoom *thinks* you are playing (ie the game whose IWAD you are using). Zdoom does support the Strife texture format though, so all the walls will look right. The sky will just look like the flat that stirife uses to mark sky sectors though.

I suspect by limited Strife support you were looking for more than that.

What I mean is through reverse engineering, we could possibly learn enough out about strife to get it to display all the right objects and such and have the correct linedef functions. As far as enemy attacks and their scripting system, I'm not really concerned about that as much because you could always use...say...ZDOOM's advanced ACS to your advantage...hehe. Pipe dream though

I think it would be good idea to try to fully support Strife's deathmatch mode first since that would be easier, then go for supporting whole single player game with scripting and all after that. Only problem is that playing deathmatch mode first would probably spoil the game for people.

Ralphis said:

What I mean is through reverse engineering, we could possibly learn enough out about strife to get it to display all the right objects and such and have the correct linedef functions. As far as enemy attacks and their scripting system, I'm not really concerned about that as much because you could always use...say...ZDOOM's advanced ACS to your advantage...hehe. Pipe dream though

The only behavior that needs to be emulated in ACS is monsters defaulting to dormancy in some areas and setting off alarms when they are attacked. This can be done with Thing_Hate and some other stuff. It's no pipe dream at all...

Supposedly I have been working on a ZStrife mod in my free time. Sort of a Strife-emulation project in ZDoom. There hasn't been any progress lately because I've been either sleeping, in Canada, looking for a job, getting stuff straight for school, or something else.

EDIT: And GooberMan's conversation thing will need to be used.

Ralphis said:

Vavoom already has this, ane even some of the monsters, weapons and conversations are working!

Cool, and maybe it'll have even more with the help of the beastly specs I have so far and just posted on my site...

Retox said:

Vavoom already has this, ane even some of the monsters, weapons and conversations are working!

Vavoom's already been updated? Last time I used it, it was still Doom, but with Strife textures and no monsters.

Sign in to follow this