Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Whee, sounds!

Ahem. I saw T3 today, and in it was a direct rip of the gate opening sound from RE3. Which, come to think of it, was also in Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. Anyway, this reminded me of something I've been wanting to post but keep forgetting.

I've heard the Doom door opening and closing sound effects, the boss cube spawn sound, and the Spider Mastermind alert sound in TV and movies several times over the years. (I've heard 'em in Rugrats, no less.) Also, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness uses the Spider Mastermind alert sound for one of their enemies. All this, of course, prompts the question: WTF? How does this happen? Are sounds made for a game somehow un-copyrightable? Were deals worked out? Or do game makers frequently use public domain sounds? This has been bugging for awhile now, but I'm sure you guys and gals can help me out.

There are commercial collections of sound samples for industry use, and I guess id Software and the Rugrats sound people used the same ones. It's no stranger than that.

Beats the hell out of me. All I know is, in the Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome expansion pack, the camel sounds suspiciously like a dying zombie. So, maybe it's not that the sounds are public domain, but that they come from common sources of sound FX.

Fredrik said:

There are commercial collections of sound samples for industry use, and I guess id Software and the Rugrats sound people used the same ones. It's no stranger than that.

If I were a director I'd forbid the audio crew to use stock sounds. It sounds so stupid to hear the sound of a door slamming shut as an explosion in Operation Flashpoint. I heard that once in a music video.

In the MIB2 movie when that flying dude who has mini clones of himself dies/explodes, the hell knight dying sound is used

Mr. Chris said:

In the MIB2 movie when that flying dude who has mini clones of himself dies/explodes, the hell knight dying sound is used

Yeah, I noticed that too :-)

geekmarine said:

Beats the hell out of me. All I know is, in the Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome expansion pack, the camel sounds suspiciously like a dying zombie. So, maybe it's not that the sounds are public domain, but that they come from common sources of sound FX.

It's very common that people will use the imp dying sound for camels in movies and TV shows.

Imp dying sound . . . camel . . . okaaaaaaayy. I just listened to both and I don't see that working with a camel.

I'm starting to get the feeling id didn't make any new sounds.

I recall hearing Hexen's green Fire Serpent's "saw the player" sound used in an A1 steak sauce commercial a while ago.

Grimm said:

Imp dying sound . . . camel . . . okaaaaaaayy. I just listened to both and I don't see that working with a camel.

I'm starting to get the feeling id didn't make any new sounds.

aside from very specific things (icon of sin, voice acting) most (if not all) games don't use 100% new sounds, they just use a sound lib. And even sounds that are 'new' a lot of times are just sounds from a sound lib spliced together to make a new one

AFAIK a few of the sounds used in DOOM are recordings of camels. They didn't have a whole lot of money back then so they had to get sounds on the cheap and do the best with what they had.

I think he meant "zombie dying" sound used for the camels in "The Mummy" movie. I've heard the "Door opening" in a rugrats episode once.

Nanami said:

It's very common that people will use the imp dying sound for camels in movies and TV shows.

They use a trooper death as well. Number two I believe. And yup yup, it's pretty silly that I can actually tell that a sound came from the game. Of course my freind who doens't play Doom also heard that same sound effect in other games... so maybe it's not so silly at all.

Icon of Sin eh? Reverse it sometime and see what it REALLY says! (creepy) You can do that with Heretic's Wizard sound effects too. But I think the only other guy who did this was Cyb, when he made his ontra characters, but I have yet to confirm that.

DoomRater said:

Icon of Sin eh? Reverse it sometime and see what it REALLY says! (creepy)

Yeah... that's why I said they made that one. Doubtful they borrowed it from somewhere.

DoomRater said:

But I think the only other guy who did this was Cyb, when he made his ontra characters, but I have yet to confirm that.

haha, I think you're the first person to notice that

It sounds like the hexen bishop says "So you are back?" in reverse and the active sound is "serve boudishu". The heresiarch's active sound is "show me that"(?).

edit: The heretic wizard says "Destroy thy magic" for sight and speaks in another language(I don't know which) for the active sound. d'sparil says "surrender to this vow" as the active sound.

DooMBoy said:

"!citereH eth yortseD"

Destroy hte Heretic? :P

DoomRater said:

But I think the only other guy who did this was Cyb, when he made his ontra characters, but I have yet to confirm that.

The Bahlians use backwards sounds played backwards during the scripted scene in MassMouth 2 I think...know what I mean?