Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Poll : Survival Horror. . .

Which do you think is the better Survival Horror Series and why?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the better Survival Horror Series and why?

• Silent Hill Series
    • Resident Evil Series
    • Alone in the Dark I-III
    • survival horror sucks

*crickets chriping*
*shakes fist in air*
"Lousy crickets."

Ahem. I am currently playing SH3 (Trying to stretch it out as long as possible) And was reflecting on my early PSone days. And the game that could widely be held as the first survival horror game, Resident Evil. I played the second one first, and thouroughly enjoyed it, and was a big fan of RE series. Then came 1999. A curious little title called "Silent Hill." Suspended from school for a week and in Blockbuster, I decided to use the game to occupy my time. Needless to say, I think that Silent Hill put the "horror" in survival horror, and I feel that RE was a gateway for a superior game. SH is like RE in the controls, the puzzles, but the atmosphere, storyline and design I feel really took off from that and made it something deeper and darker. And, in my eyes, better. Damn I love that game.
*Hugs copy of SH3 and new TV purchased for it*

I don't care if anyone disagrees, RE is by far the more popular and mainstream of the titles, I'm just interested in comparisons and opinions.

The one thing I don't like about Resident Evil, and its sequels, is the controls, and the decidedly robotic animation. Otherwise, it's a good game.

Scabbed Angel said:

*And the game that could widely be held as the first survival horror game, Resident Evil.

You're right in that it is widely held to be the first survival horror game, but you forgot to point out that these people are all wrong :) That honour must surely go to Alone In the Dark, which beat Resident Evil by several years.

deathz0r said:

Why the hell isn't Alone the Dark in that poll?

Exactly! The mother of Survival horror. Anyway, Other than AITD I've only played Resident Evil. I liked it, but I liked AITD better. I've heard that the Silent Hill games are incredibly scary though.

deathz0r said:

Why the hell isn't Alone the Dark in that poll?

Typically RE is the survival horror biggie, at least in mainstream opinion. I just wanted to see how SH matches it in everyone's opinion. AitD is a great game though. Should I add it and take from SH's glory?

Wasted, I would agree, however the imagry in SH is darkly horrific, moreso that RE imo. Which is your favorite?

What about Sweet Home for the Famicom, which was RE's predacessor? I never figured out how to play (I think emulation doesn't work for it), but, supposedly it was.

But, I like RE more.. they made some interesting support characters. And I liked Mikhail, the Russian dude in RE3 =3...

RE on the GC is nice, too... my boyfriend bought it for me ^-^ he's so sweet...

99.99% of people who say survival horror games are crap have either only ever played shitty ones, or never even played one at all. I should know, I used to be amongst the latter.

/me hangs his head in shame.

NiGHTMARE said:

That honour must surely go to Alone In the Dark, which beat Resident Evil by several years.

*cough* Maniac Masnion *cough*
It didnt attempt a scary atmosphere, but it had the same gameplay. Hoorj for NES!

I'd say SH is the better series because it's actually eerie. RE, although I love it, relied solely on having things jump out at you. Also, sh1 had an impressive plot.

Edit: there's a Silent Hill 3?

Assmaster said:

Edit: there's a Silent Hill 3?

Just came out here in US Last Wednesday, in Europe sometime in May. I hate to say it, but although I am not finished, I think its the best so far. At least at par with the first. If you like the first one you are in for a fucking treat.

AitD and neutral options added. Also, somebody should add a "reset poll" option for the moderators.

Cecillia said:

What about Sweet Home for the Famicom, which was RE's predacessor? I never figured out how to play (I think emulation doesn't work for it), but, supposedly it was.

the rom i have certainly works. and while i hesitate to call it frightening, it really does build tension sometimes, which, considering the relative technological simplicity, is pretty nifty. it's a nice game.

Silent Hill 1 was far better than the second. I can't vouch for the third one, though. The best of all, though is Fatal Frame.

*EDIT* Splatter House 3 is pretty neat too.

Fatal frame was a decent game. I felt that it had a good premise, and the concept was mildly original, but seemed somewhat ammature Definately had its scary moments though, with the witch ghost "Where's my child?" and such.

Job said:

*EDIT* Splatter House 3 is pretty neat too.

oh shit. they're ALL great. i love those games. (the famicom one isn't quite as scary, though. but dracula does do a dance routine.)

NiGHTMARE said:

99.99% of people who say survival horror games are crap have either only ever played shitty ones, or never even played one at all. I should know, I used to be amongst the latter.

/me hangs his head in shame.

I've played Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2. They were both pretty boring and repetative puzzle games with zombies breaking in the window to 'startle' you every 3 seconds. Oooh...you just did they same trick to me 2,000 times in a row. I'm scared. I swear I've played one or two other Survival Horror games, but I can't remember...

Actualy, if you count AvP as a survival horror game, it was pretty cool. But instead of scripted sequences, it just had AI and let you figure out the rest. :P

First of all, the Splatter House series, though completely awesome, is by no means survival horror. It ranges from sidescrolling arcade to beat-em-up, but that's about it. I would also hesitate to call Fatal Frame survival horror simply because you are capable of fighting everything you come across (where as typical survival horror games force you to run in certain situations, especially on higher difficulties), though, again, it is a very great game.

Alone in the Dark, the first one at least, was scary, at least to me, when if first came out. I had never seen anything like it before, and that giant worm that following you in the tunnel... it kept me nervous. Resident Evil was alright... the story was about the only thing that made it worth playing. Silent Hill is probably the best of the three, simply because even after playing games todays graphical capabilities it still holds up as a frightening game. Also important is the fact that it keeps that going through the end, something scary games tend to mess up at. Therefor it gets my vote.

Eh, bah. I've played plenty of survival horror in my day. I played the original RE, I played Code Veronica, I played RE Zero. I played Dino Crisis, I played Silent Hill. Of these, the only one I thought was a good game was Silent Hill. And I hated the actual gameplay in that. I just loved everything else.

Is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem a survival horror game? Because that game fucking kicks ass.

Hmmm.
Looks like I'm gonna go and search for a demo of Silent Hill. I'm not really into Survival Horror games (got tired of RE2 really quick, although I loved it first - but that was more because it was fun to shoot zombies that got back up atcha), hence I won't rush out and buy it - unless of course I get a demo which makes me really want this game.