Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Why is Doomguy special?

Okay, this question has been bugging me for a long time. Why is Doomguy special? I mean, sure, he fights off Hell and saves Earth from destruction, but why is it that no one else is able to survive the Demons? I mean, sure they're heavily armed, but they're fairly slow and stupid. Surely if Doomguy can stand up to them, an entire army should be able to completely devastate them. Are the other marines just as slow and stupid as the Demons, or what?

If you ask me, it's just one of those things that needs to be illogical for the game to work. If the other marines who were sent in while the player's character waited outside were successful, then what would there be left for the player to do?

He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or TRP@TRT, if you look at it a certain way.

Yeah, like Draconio says, if the other marines were like the Doomguy (e.g., they could run at 240 mph while carrying 500 lbs of equipment and weapons) and they could strafe really well, then that would ruin the game. In fact, if that there were the case, there would be no game.
Just don't analyze it, you'll hurt yourself. :P

Is like Under Siege (the movie), the hero was in a safe place and didn't fall in the ambush/trap, then he attacks in surprise.

Uh, it's pretty easy to see why. how many other marines do you know that can hit 70 mph without vreaking a sweat? He runs even faster when he presses his shoulder a gainst the wall. For that matter, how many people have you met that can take multiple shotgun blasts to the face? Thats pretty god damned special if you ask me.

Duh... it's because you are the Doomguy. I mean, if the other marines had someone controlling them with access to a save feature, do you think they would be dead?

Heh yeah, kinda like what EllipsusD said...

I see it like this: This city or moonbase or space station has been infected. Several marines were sent out, but didn't return (hence the already placed dead marine bodies in most levels). Will the next marine (being you) make it...? Prolly not, but will beat the first few level (the only 'special feature' in this case is of course being controlled by someone who knows most levels by heart by now, as all the now dead marines never saw the levels... or whatever hit them).

Only those who played the game and beat it the 1st time they played it (prolly noone, not on UV skill anyway), can call his sprite 'that special doom marine'... :)

insertwackynamehere said:

The Doom Marine is special, because he sexes the imps, not kills them.

Only in your perverted mind. :P

Some people just have what they call a "killer instinct". Like, able to survive against horrible odds, like John Mullins, a mercenary (and also the star of the Soldier of Fortune series).

The Doom guy isn't special. The reason he can do it is because he can take a shotgun blast to the face and then pick up a Medkit and instantly be better. He can also save.

If you want to prove that he actually could do it, beat The Ultimate Doom/Doom without picking up medkits or stimpacks. (I think this'll be my next project. :) )

Grimm said:

The Doom guy isn't special. The reason he can do it is because he can take a shotgun blast to the face and then pick up a Medkit and instantly be better. He can also save.

If you want to prove that he actually could do it, beat The Ultimate Doom/Doom without picking up medkits or stimpacks. (I think this'll be my next project. :) )

Remake it without any stimpacks/medikits/artifacts and only "fair" weapons. Also do some dehacking to make the shotgunners/chaingunners/zombies triple-fire (fire three shots at a time with 0 duration between) and move a little faster. That'll make it so that it's less arcade-like.

You might also consider using ZDoom and scripting a gradual decrease in health for a certain period after taking a certain amount of damage all at once, have a DECORATE item mimicking a medikit (should only exist in medical facilities, not just happen to be propped up against a wall somewhere) that stops blood loss (to a degree), then allows the player to SLOWLY recover health. Basically it should make it so that you can clear an area and sit there for about a DAY in order to finish healing, hoping nothing comes for you... which is why enemies should also be randomly spawned on patrol routes. Finding a glass of water or something should also allow some sort of health recovery... very, very minor, though. Or, maybe it could be made so that you need some water and food after picking up a medikit before your health can recover at all!

My best guess is that the demons had the element of surprise. They teleported in and killed everyone while they were still unarmed. Doomguy on the other hand is being a little more careful, and still has a pistol.

But the other marines had all the heavy weapons.

Ultraviolet said:

Remake it without any stimpacks/medikits/artifacts and only "fair" weapons. Also do some dehacking to make the shotgunners/chaingunners/zombies triple-fire (fire three shots at a time with 0 duration between) and move a little faster. That'll make it so that it's less arcade-like.

You might also consider using ZDoom and scripting a gradual decrease in health for a certain period after taking a certain amount of damage all at once, have a DECORATE item mimicking a medikit (should only exist in medical facilities, not just happen to be propped up against a wall somewhere) that stops blood loss (to a degree), then allows the player to SLOWLY recover health. Basically it should make it so that you can clear an area and sit there for about a DAY in order to finish healing, hoping nothing comes for you... which is why enemies should also be randomly spawned on patrol routes. Finding a glass of water or something should also allow some sort of health recovery... very, very minor, though. Or, maybe it could be made so that you need some water and food after picking up a medikit before your health can recover at all!

Better still - Modern FPS DooM - where 1 shot kills you instantly, regardles of weapon and distance! (wait, wtf am I saying? No, don't do it!!!)

You don't see any weapons by any of the corpses, which suggests:

A) They didn't have any, and the only weapons are still put away
B) They were carried off by the demons, but you never see any demon with a rocket launcher or plasma rifle (except those that have them physically fused to their bodies).

I was thinking about a mod set after doom 2 where it turned out doom guy was a "Chosen one"... the deal being that the powers of darkness wasn't meant to try anything just yet, so to counter it, the powers that be gifted you with extra strength, speed, and endurance. A very pro-active form of karma more or less… Uhh, it wasn't as cheesy as it sounds. Heh.

Heh, it'd still be okay to have artifacts. They are alien magic, after all. Beserk packs and health potions could be kept in too. The zombies are supposed to move slow. They're zombies! :) Also, it'd be pointless to increase the hitscan damage, in my opinion, since Doom doesn't have body specific damage; obviously it hurts less to get grazed across the shoulder than hit right in the chest. Heh . . . the blood loss thing is neat but a pain in the ass . . . it'd only matter for hitscan and melee attacks anyway. Heh, I really wanna do this. It'll be interesting. Is there any program I could set up so that it removed stimpacks and medkits? I don't feel like doing it myself. :P

I like the idea of a chosen one that you don't know aobut yet. But then there must be an equal marine demon out there who can possibly stop you. A failed DM opponent idea could work for the equal you must defeat. How's that for an idea?

DoomRater said:
[above post]

I had all sorts of crazy plains for this mod, it sort of became a retelling of Doom I, the villain was a Scientist working for UAC who planned give Hell order and using the Knowledge and resources gained form ruling over the devil and his minions, conquer Haven. The thing is, haven cannot directly intervene with the goings on in the mortal realm, so they need to be quite about it. The best way they can do that is to bestow powers on a “choses one”. So there isn’t a nemesis as such, since you are pretty much the only resistance heaven has (no pressure!).

It was inspired by the story from a game called “Messiah”, along with the plot from SCI.wad. But then I realised that the mod was going to take more then a kick ass story to get this mod done.

DUECCCCCCCCCCCCE! Since Deus is pronounced differently)

Man that is the best WAD ever! i'ma call up Stronog Sad and the Cheat and Strong Mad, Oh man, thy're gonna love it! Maybe even more than Trogdor.

Grimm said:

]Is there any program I could set up so that it removed stimpacks and medkits? I don't feel like doing it myself. :P

It's super-easy to do with DeHackEd. Just change the frames of the stim pack and the medikit (under the things listing) to point to that of, say, the health potion instead, so they're all replaced by it.

Make this into a .deh file, if you want (it accomplishes what I just explained):

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Thing 54 (Stim Pack)
Initial frame = 816
Bits = 8388609

Thing 55 (Medical Kit)
Initial frame = 816
Bits = 8388609

There's a more exacting way to do that; just turn them into invisible things that can't be picked up by changing the corresponding thing bit values.

You could also change 'em to 0, right? (I think that's the null frame. Not really sure.)

Either of those ways would probably work, too. I just figured that without them it probably would help to have a few extra health potions lying about. :)