Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Quakecon Has Doomers Seeing Red

Hey, hey kids. Head over to the Doom 3 Screenshots section to see some brand new screenshots of Doom3's multiplayer mode, demoed at Quakecon this year for the first time. If that's not enough to get you all red in the face, head over to HomeLAN Fed and read about their impressions about the demo. And if that's not enough, you can also read up about it Gamespy, GameSpot, Computer and Video Games.com, PlanetQuake3.net which will make you very well red. I mean read.

A lot of people who are there and have seen the gameplay claim those are bad screenshots, the real game is apparently more satisfying.

Actually, it's neat that the plasma gun shoots globs like the original one.

Most of the released screenshots are bad. The standard disclaimer is of course that a dynamic, animated sequence of images says a lot more than a single capture.

Frickin' sweet. I love that plasma gun, it's soooooo cool. Well, I'm glad to see that they're finding ways to keep old concepts fresh.

I'm pleased that they added those neat particle effects in addition to the blue plasma globs to the plasma rifle. I'm sure it will look totally rad when seing them in motion in the game.
Sweet, though I hope I won't see any pics of the plasma rifle itself until I've played the released version myself.

Oh and if the game itself looks so much better than this, then I certainly have nothing to complain about (those screenies already look so kickass that I wouldn't even complain if the actual game looked like that).
At any rate, I'm glad that iD releases low-quality screenies - that way, the final game can better blow me away.

Shaviro said:

At least this will shut up the "You'll see no big areas in Doom 3" people.

Hahahaha, Hell yeah. In your face!

Sadly, they'll still complain about those (imo) worthless huge outdoor areas - or rather lack of them in Doom 3.

Unless you can fly over the surface of Mars there's little point in large open areas. Although I suppose Hell could have some cool possibilities.......

also I wonder if the DM will have bot support

Szymanski said:

also I wonder if the DM will have bot support

Most likely, but it'll probably be based on Quake 3 Arena's bot code, but polished up and all that.

Shaviro said:

At least this will shut up the "You'll see no big areas in Doom 3" people.

Yeah, because two screenies of a multiplayer map a testament to the actual game...

Smart.

Jippy said:

Yeah, because two screenies of a multiplayer map a testament to the actual game...

Smart.

As opposed to saying there won't be any big areas based on screenshots and alpha demo levels.

Yeah, you certainly have a good point there.

I am in awe of your mental prowess.

Arioch said:
I am in awe of your mental prowess.

Thanks, I knew there was hope for you after all.

Fusion said:

i read a preview that said that they're planning on adding rocketjump..
in a word, gay.

Blame the Quake fans.

Fusion said:

i read a preview that said that they're planning on adding rocketjump..
in a word, gay.

whenever I think of rocket jumping I think..
cause we all know that we can shoot rockets at the ground so we don't have to take the time to go up stairs.

one thing that original doom has, a rocket launcher that actually seems powerful. not like some games where you don't really have to worry about being in a small area with a rocket launcher.

that is a nice picture there over yonder.

Jippy said:

Smart.

uh... Is it a big area or not? Don't you think this map will be in the game? MP or not so what. There will at least be one big area in Doom3, so my point is valid.

KoRn said:

whenever I think of rocket jumping I think..
cause we all know that we can shoot rockets at the ground so we don't have to take the time to go up stairs.

How do you think I avoid being late to class. :P

My only issue with rocket jumping is that it does so little damage to the player. If it brought the player to near death status, then fine. Let 'em jump around to their hearts content.

Well, if they make the game as cinematic as, say, Halo (NOT saying Halo is better), well then they'd almost need to have an outdoor scene for maybe a marine drop that you may be involved with. At least it'd be more likely to have expansive outdoor areas if that were the case, imo.