Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

The "out-of-box" mp support

Just a small thing that I started thinking about when I saw those D3 mp screenies:
I was wondering if perhaps iD would release maps designed specifically for mp with D3 (this is possible since they've got Splash Damage to do the MP for them - go SD!) apart from the sp part.

And that gave me a slight idea: What if they made the installation options so that you can choose to neglect installing mp support - or the other way around: choose only to install the mp component?

Yes, it's just a minor technical thing, but it'd be a nice option all the same if you're getting "low" on harddisk space and have a hard time figuring out which other games/programs to uninstall. I'm basically considering the complexity of the game engine, which means that the game will be huge - how much bigger will it be with the mp component? Or more interestingly: how much smaller would it be without the mp component?

Sounds like a good idea.
What ever makes the game more accessible.
I have a feeling that the installation will be quite customizable, perhaps they will even include the ability to choose from a low/high poly model set.

I guess you're right. id aren't just trying to sell doom3, they're trying to sell radeons and geforces too.

Dest-X said:

I guess you're right. id aren't just trying to sell doom3, they're trying to sell radeons and geforces too.

Perhaps not Radeons...
I think id software wants the game to look its best. The Doom3 models are low poly enough already anyways.

seperation is Imho technically easy to do, since id will surely use some kind of ".pkX" packages. they could separate the MP content in another pkX archive including MP maps and extra mp textures/models/sounds if there are any.
but I don't think there will be much MP maps. maybe around 6-8. They won't need that much space. maybe some 100mb w/o extra textures etc...pure speculation.

hmmm im up for it as I never ever use MP in any games thus it would just take up space that I dont want to waste.

Tyockell said:

hmmm im up for it as I never ever use MP in any games thus it would just take up space that I dont want to waste.

Heh, that's quite my opinion too and the reason why I posted this thread in the first place.

I admit though, that Doom 3 mp sounds pretty interesting, so I'm thinking that I'll most likely check it out (invite my bro over with his comp and then we can play a good old-fashioned one-on-one).

uniQ said:

but I don't think there will be much MP maps. maybe around 6-8. They won't need that much space. maybe some 100mb w/o extra textures etc...pure speculation.

Indeed. Doom III maps don't take up that much space, especially not small multiplayer ones.

Shaviro said...
Maybe not Radeons...

Eh? The Radeons run the game just fine.

auxois said:

Eh? The Radeons run the game just fine.

Yes, but D3 is designed specifically for GeForce cards.

dsm said:

No. Carmack is doing his best to get the most performance out of both card types.

Fredrik said:

No. Carmack is doing his best to get the most performance out of both card types.

Excuse me, but afaik from earlier interviews, they were first and foremost getting the engine to work on GeForce cards - more specifically GeForce 3. They've later started working on getting it optimized for other cards, but that doesn't leave out the fact that the focus was initially on Nvidia's cards. I know because I read it in several statements and interviews from one or two years ago.

The 2001 Macworld presentation was on a GeForce 3 and John Carmack seemed to make all kinds of statements about how good the newest GeForce card was at running D3 - that's what Shaviro means when he says that they've used D3 to market Nvidea cards, not a word about Doom 3 running like shit on other cards.

dsm said:

That was the GF3 pre R3x generation since he had the chance to write the renderer compatible to the pc and the xbox at the same time.
A rare opportunity for a developer.

Right now NVIDIA tries to design their cards around Doom3 (special shadow acceleration).

The newer ATI cards run the game just great.

All vendors will try to write specific drivers for Doom3 to score in the benchmarking scene, so basically everybody will benefit (as long as playing Doom3 is the primary reason for a gfx board upgrade).

dsm said:

Excuse me, but afaik from earlier interviews, they were first and foremost getting the engine to work on GeForce cards - more specifically GeForce 3. They've later started working on getting it optimized for other cards, but that doesn't leave out the fact that the focus was initially on Nvidia's cards. I know because I read it in several statements and interviews from one or two years ago.

The 2001 Macworld presentation was on a GeForce 3 and John Carmack seemed to make all kinds of statements about how good the newest GeForce card was at running D3 - that's what Shaviro means when he says that they've used D3 to market Nvidea cards, not a word about Doom 3 running like shit on other cards.

From what Ive read though Carmack later began developing towards the Radeon 9700 pro. The alpha runs fine on the 9800 pro, i havent yet tried it on a 9700 but I get a great framerate with everything on with my 9800 so Im happy.

uh, the first alpha demo was run on a radeon9700 prototype, so wtf is this nvidia only bollocks