Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skits

Doom 3 music

Skits said:

Is there any site that have doom 3 music or any Doom 3 stuff that is cool?

No. The only official material are the official screenshots found in this site's screenshot section and the officially released trailer, plus a non-illegal movie from 2001.

Speaking of music, I don't remember the role of music in Doom 3. Will id Software go for just ambient during cutscenes, or heavy music during gameplay? In other words: how will they use music?

I'd be happy with just good ambient music it brings so much more life to the game. I usually just turn off normal music in games as it takes away from the gameplay for me and is quite annoying after a few minutes.

niguel said:

i still have nothing against the old doom music.

Me neither, but I think it wouldn't mix well with Doom 3's feel. If they do decide to put some of those classic songs in, they'd have to mature the songs.

Disorder said:

Me neither, but I think it wouldn't mix well with Doom 3's feel. If they do decide to put some of those classic songs in, they'd have to mature the songs.

Quite, they'd have to make the ambient parts of the old soundtrack creepier and the more 'metallic' tracks more movie-like (with a bit more emphasis on adding some creepiness).

The only song that I found suited doom and was in the perfect place was the last level of knee deep in the dead where you kill those 2 Barons of hell and your on that giant pentigram.

My biggest interest(exept lifelike things klike wo.. and ...) music!!..hmmm just leave it,one intro track that should be the main theme during the intro, installation or the end of the game.
The sounds should be great.Use of ambient sounds can work very wel in doom3..but noth songs..it doens't justify the feeling that you are there(will doomguy have a walkman on his head?)..but some creepy sounds really add...they may be orchestral ,but creepy and atmospheric i prefer

Like in hell there could be a place where you hear like something that resembles the creepy music piece in 2001(the piece when the monolit is seen from close,always that really creepy choir music,brrrr )

I bet we'll hear some gothiclike sounds or musical landscapes in hell...

Edit: briefly my opinion:

-dark industrial ambient electronic(analog synths i prefer)
-dark orchestral
---> no real songs except beginning and end theme,a mix off dark classical and ambient electronic synths would suit the game the best in my opinion..music has to come forth from a feelin or emotion when you compose..and the feeling in doom3 is dark and scary so it should be there in the music
Nothing wrong with a solid industrial(trent like) end theme ;) my 2 cents

Hey, for once I almost sort-of agree with AndrewB.

[insert appropriate Bobby Prince criticism here]

Hey, if you're gonna put some of the tracks from the original Doom in D3, why not just put the original songs in D3? You know, the ones from Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth, Alice in Chains?

auxois said:

Hey, for once I almost sort-of agree with AndrewB.

[insert appropriate Bobby Prince criticism here]

Hey, if you're gonna put some of the tracks from the original Doom in D3, why not just put the original songs in D3? You know, the ones from Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth, Alice in Chains?

That'd fucking rock, I would love to be able to load custom playlists for Doom 3!

auxois said:

*facepalms* -_-

I know what you meant d00d, the original tracks, not covers, for the soundtrack. Yeah, that would be 1337 too.

I'd say original Doom music was good for its time, when games were quite arcadish and was nothing to be ashamed of.

But I think that the best example of music creating atmosphere in a game is Diablo 1. Not that Doom 3 should have the same style music, but the twisted howls and "roooOO-oo-oo..!" sounds in the music show how background music can be done totally the RIGHT way.

So: I want Doom 3 music to be appropriately melodicly-flowing and harmonic (in the sense that Diablo 1 also was), have the right kind of background sounds, and not be obnoxious (as Doom 1 and 2 music never was).

Alice in Chains songs were used as the basis for Doom midis? I never knew that, anyone got a list of the songs used?

No, just one or two of them. Only MAP23 that I know of.

But yeah, Bobby Prince was like the Roger Myers of, well, you know the rest.

we allready know trent is making the music. He made the music for Quake I and II. It was Industrial metallic, with the boss level having a bit of electronic. This Doom is more like him, since its allot more real, his putrid mind will spit up something very very disturbing.

I personally think there should be no music at all, except for cutscenes. Like the cutscene in the alpha in the bathroom or with the chaingunners, they would have felt allot more impressive with some ambience when nothing happened and then a quick violent jolt when the enemy appeared, followed by a more rithmic but still ambiental music.

DOOM3 Music Speculation 22:42 PST | Anticonscience

Recently there has been much discussion on whether or not Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is still involved with the DOOM3 project. To throw a bit more fuel on that fire Chris Vrenna was spotted around Quakecon this year hanging out with various members of the media as well as the members of id Software. Chris Vrenna was a long time member of NIN who has pursued a solo career over the last few years. In addition to this he also scored the soundtrack for the Quake3 engine based game Alice. So does his attendance signify that he has possibly taken over the musical reigns on DOOM3? Only time will tell. We will leave it up to you to debate in our forums. You can find more information on Chris Vrenna at tweaker.net.

from planetdoom

Trent had to take them off from doom3 for a new album..he could be agian on it or he could be not...

D-clone said:

we allready know trent is making the music. He made the music for Quake I and II.

Heh no, Trent Reznor didn't make the music for Quake 2. It's really odd that a lot of people think that, when the Q2 music sounds absolutely nothing like his style ;)

The majority of the soundtrack for Q2 and its two official expansions was created by Sonic Mayhem, with the title track by Rob Zombie and track 10 by G0D5G1F7 (aka Jeremiah Sypult).

Trent leaving was actually only ever a rumour, which bizarrely the majority of people on these forums seem to have taken for fact.

D-clone said:

we allready know trent is making the music. He made the music for Quake I and II. It was Industrial metallic, with the boss level having a bit of electronic. This Doom is more like him, since its allot more real, his putrid mind will spit up something very very disturbing.

I personally think there should be no music at all, except for cutscenes. Like the cutscene in the alpha in the bathroom or with the chaingunners, they would have felt allot more impressive with some ambience when nothing happened and then a quick violent jolt when the enemy appeared, followed by a more rithmic but still ambiental music.

There was music in Quake I?

Only if you had the CD. Back then, developers had to choose between MIDI and CD audio. Imagine.

Hmmmm there was some post in the news that ID was searching a new person for the sound for 6months..why could trent not be busy making an album..he's a musician ..

That was a while after the legacy video clone...

I think there will be work of trent in it for sure...and maybe some work of that other guy maybe that ex NIN member..

Yo-Han said:

Hmmmm there was some post in the news that ID was searching a new person for the sound for 6months..why could trent not be busy making an album..he's a musician ..

Jereame Devine went to work for Ensemble Studios ("Age of" games). He was working on the sound engine. Theyre prolly loking for one to polish it up, or maybe some actual work , since its 5.1 and whatnot.

BTW Devines best work ever was never with id. It was The 7th Guest. that game was the shit.