Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KingAdamX

setting up a lan between a comp with win 95 and a comp with XP

I need to set up a lan between a computer with windows 95 and a computer with windows XP, I have no idea of how to do this. I really need some help on this one.

DOOM, or just a LAN?
There are plenty of help pages posted on the internet, but here's some things to look at.
1) win95 uses an outdated method of networking.
Have you considered upgrading this box to Win98se? Your chances of connectivity improve a bit in my experience.
2) IF you can get the computers to 'see' each other on the network, then you're home free.
Be sure to 'search for computers' on both sides (put a * or the actual hostname in the search box) and wait awhile everytime you change the configuration. XP does some lame crap looking for master servers and host nodes... that has to timeout before it will display.
just because you can't see the other computer's folders in WindowsExplorer, doesn't mean you don't have connectivity.
3) be sure you have installed TCP adapter on both computers, that they share a workgroup, that you have a working LAN card(etc... ) installed, that the XP machine is not firewalling the other pc's connection.... etc... using the same IP scheme and netmask of course.
to play an IPX game between XP and 98, I had to create a profile of the same name as the 98 machine on XP, login as that user on both, install IPX on both, and have both on the same workgroup. unbelievably stupid Msoft BS. but you shouldn't be using IPX.
4) once you think you are all ready, search for the other computer from both... if no luck, then open a terminal window and see if you can ping the other machine. traceroute the ping signal if necessary. if there is connectivity, then test it with Quake3 or something.(create a LAN game and try to connect from the other host -- note, this may ONLY work one-way, that is, you may have to always run the server on the win95 box).
5) good luck.

If you're only doing file sharing, then if it doesn't work then try installing the NetBEUI protocol on both machines. When I initially hooked up my two machines (one with 98SE, the other with XP) I got a TCP/IP connection right away but couldn't get file sharing to work. I've since fixed it by reinstalling Win98SE, but at the time NetBEUI filled in the blanks. You can install it by the Network control panel in 95, but in XP you gotta hunt through the help file for manual instructions as MS no longer supports the protocol.

1) win95 uses an outdated method of networking.

Win95 uses the exact same method of networking as win98 and XP. It uses the same clients, services and protocols as every other windows computer in existance.

JoelMurdoch said:

If you're only doing file sharing, then if it doesn't work then try installing the NetBEUI protocol on both machines. When I initially hooked up my two machines (one with 98SE, the other with XP) I got a TCP/IP connection right away but couldn't get file sharing to work. I've since fixed it by reinstalling Win98SE, but at the time NetBEUI filled in the blanks. You can install it by the Network control panel in 95, but in XP you gotta hunt through the help file for manual instructions as MS no longer supports the protocol.

You could also use IPX as the transport protocol. IPX is a safe protocol and there is no reason you should not use it. AFAIK IPX is still supported and available through the Network control panel in XP. Just make sure IPX is bound to file and printer sharing and client for microsoft networks.

Also, unless you have a need to share your files with everyone else on the internet you should not bind TCP/IP with file and printer sharing or client for microsoft networks.