Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

jesus, part II

Ok I've tried this before and it was PHed within one hour, but I'll try again; this time with more tact.

There used to be time at which Doomworld had her good old debates on religion and politics. I really enjoyed these and I regret they've vanished in the mob of 'trivial' threads.

So here is an attempt to debat a religious subject again:

My statement:
Jesus can not be the Messiah

In my previous post on this subject (which was PHed) I stated my arguments in support of this statement, but here I will comply with a very short summary:

The theory that Jesus is the Messiah is based on the assumptions that:
1: Jesus was a descendant of King David;
2: Jesus was THE Son of God and part of the holy trinity;
3: Jesus is the Messiah as predicted by the prophets and savior of the world.

According to the Old Testament Jesus does not fit any of these requirements therefore he cannot be the Messiah.

I would like to know how people justify these 'flaws' in christian believes...

Actually, those three points are completely off. I'd do this li'l debate with you, but I'm not a scholar, I don't know the fine points of my religion, and I'd end up fucking things up. I also really don't care to debate this toipic, because certainly no one is gonna be swayed in opinion. If you really wanna debate go to a mellow Christian website, or find a Christian scholar and take it up with him or her.

Aliotroph? said:

I'm still confused as to why people really seem to need messiahs.

They're like mods but with less power.

Fredrik said:

Jesus can't be the Messiah because: it's all just a big lie.

Yes. "Lie", "story", call it whatever you want, just don't call it "reality".

Disagreements/inconsistencies between the Old and New Testaments does seem to be a viable topic. I can't see you getting too many on-topic responses though, given that it is only really a relevant question if you believe in God in the first place.

Shaviro said:

Yes. "Lie", "story", call it whatever you want, just don't call it "reality".

Hmmm. A little touchy today, are we?

m0l0: Google rules - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

If you're really interested, start with that.

If you're looking for a messiah, the first thing you should do is stop using the bible in any way and decide for yourself what a messiah is. I mean, hell, if Bush somehow managed to bring world peace, he could be the messiah =P

Gee, discussing Christianity with a bunch of athiests. What a novel concept. This is the sort of response that caused the previous thread to be sent to Hell.

Like last time, I'll give it a chance, but it's already quickly heading in that direction...

Aliotroph? said:

People like to be told what to think, what to do, how to live.

edit: I'd really like to get this point in before the enivitable PHing ensues, so here it is. You can use the bible to prove anything, which in turn means it proves nothing.

the_Danarchist said:
Just in case the shit hits the fan:

Use This

I tried reading that but it was so mindnumbingly painful that I had to stop. I mean, seriously, can you make logical sense out of any of that?

Is there really a Post Hell? I don't believe in that. heh.

I used to be a Christain, a quite avid one for the sake of believing there is some justice in the world. Then I woke up. I still have my beliefs, but are defined more or less on the spiritual side of the coin and what I have derived from my own research and findings. I have no problem with a god, but with the fucking morons who follow him/her. If I created a world and the best of the people that were following me only talked to me on Sunday's, my fucking day off, and thought the best way to spread my "good news" was putting a bumper sticker of a fucking fish on their hideios minivans, I think that I'd let the world go to hell too.

"You have to be saved in order to go to Heaven. You only have to be yourself to go to Hell!"
-Marilyn Manson

EllipsusD said:

I tried reading that but it was so mindnumbingly painful that I had to stop. I mean, seriously, can you make logical sense out of any of that?

I kept dividing by zero also.

Aliotroph? said:

Because people are lazy. People don't want to work hard to improve the world. They'd rather hope for some-one to come down from the sky who snaps his fingers and make all poverty and starvation go away.
Why go throught the trouble of fixing your own problems when you've got some omnipotent father up in heaven that can fix everything.

Don't wait for a messiah, we ourself can improve the world and get rid of poverty and starvation if we work hard and have faith in mankind.

EllipsusD said:

HINT: It's satire!

I find it hard to believe in anything religious to me its all bullshit as I'v already stated several times.

Ct_red_pants said:

There was a time where I defended Christianity. But I've given that up. I find it impossible to believe in a Christian god.

Howabout an Egyptian god?

atheists are as arrogant as religious people. nothing can be proven one way or the other, and to claim you know otherwise is egotistical. /me is therefore agnostic.