Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven3

MOHIH Legacy Shot

The fact that it's not done yet, I haven't put in the "You-Think-It's-True-3D-In-DooM-even-though-it's-not-really-type effect."

EDIT : I've actually made parts of the level that look pure 3D-ish.

Looks great! The proportions are very good. Good choice of textures. There's also plenty of texture alignment, which helps to make it look better.

Hmmm,...Ya know, I get the impression no-one wants me to finish this mod other than Fredrik.

I KNOW IT'S CRAPPY AS IS.

...it's not finished yet...

Can you read, or are you still in kindergarten?

EDIT : Added buggy Room-Over-Room effect...Doesn't appear to work under normal DooM2.exe.

Darkhaven3 said:

Hmmm,...Ya know, I get the impression no-one wants me to finish this mod other than Fredrik.

Fredrik cares?

Darkhaven3 said:

Added buggy Room-Over-Room effect...Doesn't appear to work under normal DooM2.exe.

If you're using Legacy's ROR then it won't show up under any other port.

I'm pretty sure Fredrik was being sarcastically optimistic about its good qualities. By "The proportions are very good" he means that there is no way there is enough geometric detail there that anything could possibly be DISproportionate. By "Good choice of textures" he means that there is only one color used so there is no way you could possibly achieve color-clash or bad texture matching. By "plenty of texture alignment" he means that the length of every line and height of every sector is a multiple of 64 and thus the textures pretty much align themselves. But I'm not the one saying all this, it's just what Fredrik meant to say.

Heh.

The first shot sorta sucks. Just blah.
The second shot does look better, but those starg3 textures need some aligning done to them. Also those lights on either side of that wall console look to be 8 units in length; they should be 16 so you can see the entire texture.
Another thing: I dunno if you brightened up these pics or what, but those pics seem to be awful bright, but with no visible light sources, which I myself find to be rather odd.

In the second pic I snagged the Invul Powerup in the level before taking the shot, it's actually just as bright as the first pic.

I feel inspired. I might just do a level textured entirely with the STAR series textures.

Yeah and no light levels below 150 too.

Darkhaven3 said:

In the second pic I snagged the Invul Powerup in the level before taking the shot, it's actually just as bright as the first pic.

What's the deal with BFG? Is this Medal of Honor proj of yours going to be the next Hell Revealed in terms of difficulty? I mean, it's the BFG. On the second level. Hmmm...

No, it's just a placeholder for another weapon I'm making using DEH or BEX, if I can figure out how. The new weapon will replace the BFG.

Er, that's, um, bland. I mean, okay, firstly, why the Medal of Honor thing? Nothing in that picture suggests anything more than a very generic Doom level. There's really no point if the level isn't close to being done and there is nothing to even distinguish that it's part of the MOH TC. Either a close-to-complete level or something that shows why it's MOH would be acceptable, but your pic has neither.

I think they could have worded themselves a bit more carefully, but basically this guy should know better to post screenshots of a level where hardly anything but the basic architecture has been made.

Darkhaven3: really man, you need to have more than that to show. I'm sure you're all excited about this project of yours and I don't mean to put you down, but just because it excites *you* to be able to make basic structures in DOOM and have them look smooth thanks to some 3D accelerated engine it doesn't mean the rest of us can be expected to be impressed.

Compare your work to other levels (in the same style) that are known for their good looks and ask yourself if your map looks better or worse. if it looks worse; what is missing? what makes that other map better?

Also, if you post a screenshot you'd better be prepared for criticism. If you won't tolerate anything but praise, then don't post.

I found the pictures uninteresting in terms of geometry, light levels and texturing. Also, you'll want to use textures and/or sector heights that don't make details in the textures cut off. It looks wrong when the STARTAN texture is cut for the BFG shelf, for instance. The DOOM engine supports other angles than 90 degrees; use it.