Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Little Faith

Favourite non-Doom custom level.

Just wondering...

Right now it is Vernichtung des Vaterlands for Cube, though it's status as custom level can be debated due to it's inclusion in the latest release. Still it's a damn sweet level.

I haven't played any cool maps for games other than Doom lately, but digging back into my memory, this came to mind:

The Castle of Koohoo for Quake 1
Pretty cool stuff, as I recall, although the boss part was somewhat lame.

BTW: I got a copy of Cube not to long ago. Haven't played it enough to know if I like it or not though.

Hmm.....a year or so ago I recall playing a 3 unit replacer for Quake 2 that kicked all kinds of ass....the level design was extremely realistic, and the first level (a multi story building) was supposedly based on where the author's dad worked. Good stuff. Althouh the last level of all (the "Alien Overlord's Chambers" of course :P) was a little too short and ultimately underwhelming. Otherwise, very good stuff all around.

Cube is really quite fun, but it's a shame that all community efforts (mapping, coding etc.) seemed to stop some time back in 2002.

Most of the SP maps for it are rather short affairs, especially with Cube's up-tempo gameplay.

Heh, Cube is cool. I didn't know anyone actually played it. I just don't like that there's no satisfaction in killing stuff. No death, no nothing, just turns into a ribcage or a head or something. Oh well, it's still the coolest thing ever.

I find it somewhat odd that Aaardappel never wrote a Doom-to-Cube (or Cube-to-Doom for that matter) converter.

geekmarine said:

I just don't like that there's no satisfaction in killing stuff. No death, no nothing, just turns into a ribcage or a head or something.

Yeah, that is pretty disappointing. It's an interesting game though, I just haven't spent enough time with it to decide whether or not it's something I like playing.

Fredrik said:

I find it somewhat odd that Aaardappel never wrote a Doom-to-Cube (or Cube-to-Doom for that matter) converter.

Given that Doom's map format is based on sectors formed by lindefs connecting vertexes while Cube is based on sectors decided rather strictly on the grid I think making a Doom to Cube would be rather difficult if not impossible.

Actually Cube is an orthogonal FPS (like Wolfenstein or Rise of the Triad). It just does a VERY good job out of hiding it.

Cube to Doom, however, especially with Zdoom's slopes seems to be a very possible thing.

Oh, yeah another problem might be Cube's slightly odd way of handling triggers (via carrots).

I'd say the 3 Time Line and They Hunger series for Half-Life. Great single player maps

w00t! Another victim.

Try typing "time[b][/b]line" instead if you want to use that word.

Heh, AS-Bridge is the clear leader in this thread so far, with three mentions. Here is some bumph about it. And it owns apparently too.