Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cyber-menace

Adding Monsters

Is there anyway to make an all new monster completely from scratch? New frames new number new everything. If I can't do this using Zdoom or lower features then I'll just forget about it.

cyber-menace said:

Is there anyway to make an all new monster completely from scratch? New frames new number new everything. If I can't do this using Zdoom or lower features then I'll just forget about it.

You have to use an existing thing and frames for this. ZDoom and lower don't have any means to add completely new monsters without sacrificing anything. Normally this isn't a problem because the Wolfenstein SS and Commander Keen are very rarely used so they can easily be used for this. Of course you are still restricted to the existing code pointers so a completely new attack is not possible.

You can use JDoom to alter the source code (or in later version, the .ded files). You can add completely new monsters, change their behavior to something completely unique, and even add new items and weapons (like the Unmaker in the Doom 64 TC).

I think I'll use the Nazi for my monster. It's kind of like the Chaingun Sargent only better. Now I just need to get those frames...

Of course, in Zdoom, you can use any of the Heretic or Hexen monsters and bring them into Doom.

A new type of attack is kind of possible - LilWhiteMouse has done it. eg, one way is to have the monster do something like fire an imp fireball, but make the fireball invisible and disappear almost immediately. Have a script count the number of fireballs on the level. If fireballs are present, damage the player, if they aren't don't. That way, whenever the monster has line of sight, the player will get damaged by a psychic blast (or whatever) and as soon as you are in cover, the monster stops attacking. Of course there are many other possibilities and combinations using an item's presence as a trigger for a script, but it does mean nothing else can fire the specified fireball type whilst the counting script is active, and the fireballs themselves have been changed.