Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
D-clone

need a port toplay demos

Hi
I have my old doom.wad. But I need a port to play demos I wanna see, like spedruns, etc
Zdoom wont do it, neither will doomsday
any ideas?

Prboom, GLBoom and Eternity are the ones to try.

Prboom and GLBoom are the same basic program, but with a different renderer; I find the GL version is more stable.

Eternity has some really nice features for watching demos: chasecam and walkcam, which enables you to see what was happening (e.g. infights) in other parts of the map while the player was elsewhere.

Most demos come with a text-file, which should state which program was used to record them, and therefore what you can use to watch them.

I've found Eternity v3.31 beta 3 to be pretty reliable, though I think it is true that its demo compatibility isn't quite as good as prboom. Anyway, the main thing is that you've found one that works for you.

How many demos have you watched in each? And, not including STRAIN and Hacx demos, which ones play back OK in Eternity but not with Prboom?

heh ok i'm no experienced expert. i just know that cph and quas keep in good touch and whenever a demo doesn't sync they tell each other about it in order to fix it in their ports. since cph has been pretty inactive about updating prboom i think quas has upped demo-syncing in eternity to a level above prboom.

They're both impressive for sure, but Eternity 3.29 was certainly less reliable than prboom 2.2.3. Eternity 3.31 beta 3 is significantly improved; that is clear from what I have seen so far. Still, there are so few compet-n demos that don't work with prboom that I was just interested if you knew of any of the ones where it failed that now work with Eternity. I'll test a few when I've got a spare moment or two.

EDIT: Just tested a couple of quick ones. N4M1-035 does play back OK in ee3.31b3 (that one also works in the CVS version of Prboom), but HR18-348 does not.