Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gherkin

Doom Builder taking the next step

AIGHT! I LIED! I didnt do Hexen map format support yet, I felt like finishing my 3D editing features first. [HERE] is the download page. I dont have an update this time, so youll just have to uninstall any older version first.

You can configure your 3D video settings in the configuration dialog (F5 or File menu -> Configuration) which I recommand you to do before using it. You get the dialog automatically when you first start DB, asking you to point the game configurations to your IWADs.

Have fun, im off to code Hexen map format support ;)

EDIT: Oh, if you see black holes in the floors, try rebuilding the nodes. The renderer doesnt give a 100% doom2.exe simulation, but its close.

SHIT! :P

I just tried the 3d preview... and I must say I'm very impressed!!!!!

The ability to offset textures while looking at them is a *fantastic* feature.

A few questions.... can you move about in the 3d preview ? And how do I exit it once I'm in it ?

Yes ofcouse you can move. With and without gravity (G toggles by default). I recommand you to add a thing 32000 (3D Start) to your map so Doom Builder can keep track where you were and youll continue viewing where you left off when switching between 2D and 3D. This thing will automatically move as you move in 3D mode.

Just go to the configuration dialog (F5 by default) and open the Shortcuts panel to see all possible actions for 3D mode. You can also reconfigure your keys/mousebuttons for them here.

Heres a summary of the things possible in 3D mode for now:
- raise/lower floors/ceilings
- toggle the use of middle textures on doublesided lines
- select textures/flats
- copy a texture/flat and paste it many times on other walls
- align textures
- delete texture (oh shit, havent coded this yet, how could i forget?)
- toggle upper/lower unpegged
- change sector brightness

Make sure you point at the right "object" when trying stuff. For raising a ceiling, you must be aiming your cursor at the ceiling (duhu?)

Ah I see. That's all cool stuff... unfortunately the damn thing won't work anymore for me. I get a 'Error 9 while initializing 3D mode: Subscript out of range' error whenever I try entering the 3D preview. I've tried changing the resolution and stuff but it makes no difference

That doesnt say shit to me.
Email me your configuration files and the wad file you're editing plz: gherkin@xodemultimedia.com

Oh, and theres a known bug:
When you select texture for a wall that doesnt have any yet and cancel the selecting screen, it crashes.

Excellent! I can see you're going for a one-up on BUILD's coolest feature here by plugging some of the holes in that. Very impressive indeed. This will be something to wave in deep's face if you're ever having a self-esteen crisis. ;)

Now since I'm a notorious nitpicker here's the (actually rather short) list of things I'd want before I use this as a hardcore editor:
- Ability to open texture wads. This is by far the most important thing I can't do.
- Sprites in 3D mode. I imagine you had this in mind since it would be a lot like BUILD probably and very cool.
- Render skies. ;)
- Autodetect the game when you select a map. Cause I'm too lazy to click in the box. :p

Those are the biggies I saw other than the little bugs that make it crash. I also noticed the really dark areas in my map seem too bright even thoug the rest are fine for brightness.

Error -2005530516 while initializing 3D mode: Automation Error

EDIT: nevermind.. works when I turn texture filtering on :P

Hey nice one! I've been waiting for doom editors to FINALY make the move to a 3D mode. And I'm even more glad it's not Deep.

The only problem is 3D mode doesn't work for me. I've rebuilt the nodes added the 3D mode THING and setup my driver (GF4mx440). It seems like it's in 3D mode but I can't see anything, just loads of black nothingness.

wow, that's nice stuff :) finally everyone who wanted a build like editor got what they wanted :)

and gherkin: r_sky doesn't show up properly in heretic mode. and you might also want to make it store default graphics for each game in their own respective configs, it's annoying it switch between games with all different graphics and have to redo the defaults every time.

oh, and if someone notices any errors in the heretic config, you should probably bug me (owen_lloyd@hotmail.com) about it instead of gherkin.

I'm sure it would be great and all except the 3D mode crashes on me no matter what setting I try. That's what I get for messing with "alpha" software I guess :/

I'll have to give it a try when I get home. I was pretty impressed with the 0.2/0.3 alpha, and if it's a Build style 2D/3D editor it'll definately be one to use :)

Aliotroph?:
- Ability to open texture wads.
Should be no problem.

- Sprites in 3D mode.
Never. But I have plans for little spheres in 3D mode to show the Things.

- Render skies. ;)
Yes, but im going to make it toggleble, because it would be a pain in the ass to edit a sky's ceiling and upper sidedefs when its parallax.

- Autodetect the game when you select a map.
Dont know about this one yet. I thought about it earlier but its tough to detect it and it would not always be correct.

DaniJ:

The only problem is 3D mode doesn't work for me. I've rebuilt the nodes added the 3D mode THING and setup my driver (GF4mx440). It seems like it's in 3D mode but I can't see anything, just loads of black nothingness.

3D mode looks screwed when you dont have your IWADs set properly. It also may be that you selected a Resolution your monitor cannot handle. Check your configuration, if you keep having this problem, please email me a proper bug report with some more information than just "It doesnt work", thanks ;)

Draconia: Saying "It doesnt work" is worth nothing to me. How am I supposed to spot a bug with that info? BTW: You need DirectX and a DirectX compitable 3D card to use the 3D mode.

Gherkin said:

- Autodetect the game when you select a map.
Dont know about this one yet. I thought about it earlier but its tough to detect it and it would not always be correct.

I've only looked in to the standard Doom and ZDoom/Hexen formats, in ZDoom's code it differentiates if it finds the behavior lump. Unsure about other ports at this point in time. But yeah, you can't accurately tell what game it is by looking at the resources in the WAD, hence the need for configuration files and such.

Looks like a nodebuilder screwup. Try rebuilding the nodes (but original nodes in MAP01 work fine here). You may want to use a different nodebuilder. (But dont use a nodebuilder that renumbers stuff like sectors or sidedefs)

I've only looked in to the standard Doom and ZDoom/Hexen formats, in ZDoom's code it differentiates if it finds the behavior lump. Unsure about other ports at this point in time. But yeah, you can't accurately tell what game it is by looking at the resources in the WAD, hence the need for configuration files and such.

You could tell which game it's from by looking at the map number entries:

ExMx = Doom
MAPxx = Doom2

Well the 3D mode has started working again now, I think I was doing something wrong. Anyway, these features are all cool. How long before Deep copies it and puts it in Deepsea? :P

Anyway, about texture wads. Can doombuilder have more than one wad open at once? I have a big resource wad on it's own that has all the textures and music and stuff I use. The wad itself has no levels, the levels are all in separate wad files. I can't seem to open the resource wad first, and then open up one of my level wads. Is it because doobuilder doesn't like having more than one wad open at once, or because my resource wad doesn't have any levels in it (or a bit of both)?

one more config for you, this time for eternity.
are you going to add support for boom-style generalized tags later?

I really appreciate that, but ehh...
"! Move Things On Tagged Floor. Speed=Length/32. Direction=Line Direction."
and
"3dMidTex"
WTF? heh Id like to reword them to something more proper, but I have no fucking clue what all of them mean and do. I dont know anything of the Boom or Eternity specs. (beside that, I first wanna get the software about done)

The Flange Peddler: Doom Builder can only edit 1 map at once (so yea, it loads only 1 WAD at once). The textures and flats are taken from both the IWAD and the open WAD file, but im going to make an option to specify yet another file where it should read textures/flats from.

The Flange Peddler said:

Well the 3D mode has started working again now, I think I was doing something wrong. Anyway, these features are all cool. How long before Deep copies it and puts it in Deepsea? :P

3D mode probably doesn't like a bunch of other programs running in the background. At least I can say that I got locked in 3D mode when icq messages started flashing on my taskbar. I can assume that was the problem but I could be wrong. I haven't had any problems since I shut everything down that was running....

Gherkin glad to see you made it so we can browse for a nodesbuilder and have it remember the dir. ;)

I'm definitely switching over to Doom Builder from DoomCad. :D

Weird. When I go into 3D Mode with udm2.wad, the screen is blank, but when I go into 3D Mode with doom2.wad, it comes up with "Error -2005530516 while initializing 3D mode: Automation Error".

And yes, that is all I've tried. If you want to know my video card, it's an onboard 4mb ATI 3DRage Pro, and I tried it in both 640x480 (both bits) and 800x600 (both bits). I also have DirectX 9.0b, so I know it's not that.

Wow gherkin, awesome stuff!

The 3d mode works fine for me except some of the textures get messed up. Other patches appear on some textures.

AgentSpork said:

You could tell which game it's from by looking at the map number entries:

ExMx = Doom
MAPxx = Doom2

No you couldn't, because Heretic also uses ExMX. Strife and Hexen (neither of which Doom Builder supports yet, but presumably it eventually will) both use MAPxx too.

deathz0r: You mean this? Loaded with Doom2 config (no engine config) and a clean Doom2 IWAD. Didnt even need to rebuild nodes.

zarcyb:

Other patches appear on some textures.

Are you sure? I havent seen any. Please tell me how I can see it?