Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven3

I triggered the noclip effect

Somehow I triggered the noclip effect...

Judging from the situation and my distance from the wall, I've come up with a hypothesis...

Between the time the 35 Hz game clock ticked once and my speed of movement (a cyb missile hit me when I was against the wall)and the game detected my collision with the wall, I was moving so fast that I bypassed the wall before the clock ticked once so the game didn't detect my collision with the wall.

Tick #1 :
Speed : Absolute 0

[Void]|*<-Me <=*** <-Cyb missile
|
Tick #2 :
Estimated speed : Between 5 and 15 times that of a player wall-running

[Void] * |(*)Explosion
|

Wow, that is cool. I don't suppose you were recording? Demos with the noclip bug are very rare indeed. I think I've seen four in total.

Oh, and moved to "Classic Doom > General", not because I don't like this thread, but because it belongs there.

If you make a dehacked patch that changes the player's mass to 1, you go through the wall quite often.

Yeah, when you've got a several-foot-tall marine with a broad frame, and weighs 1 pound in total, a hit will send him flying pretty fast, especially in a no-air-resistance environment such as Doom.

Seriously, how many games have as advanced a physics engine as Doom? (Granted, there is a lot to be desired.)

that sounds pretty cool, but anything that wasn't created with the real game is really not... unexpected. ;)

AndrewB said:

Seriously, how many games have as advanced a physics engine as Doom? (Granted, there is a lot to be desired.)

the large majority of newer fps games (and games in general I guess) have a better physics engine than doom

I suspect I misunderstood the post to start with. Do you mean that you happened to go through a wall on one occasion, rather than that you triggered the full-blown noclip bug (i.e. from that point on you could walk through any walls and more or less stopped interacting with the map)? AFAIK the noclip bug is only seen in Doom(2).exe.

Darkhaven3 said:

I was playing with ZDoom...

What version of Zdoom are you playing with? There was a bug a few versions ago where almost any time you were near a rocket or barrel explosion you could get thrown through the wall - for reasons similar to what you suggest IIRC. The bug has been fixed now. I haven't been thrown through a wall in this way for ages.

Actually I've had the same thing happen to me in vanilla DOOM, in a special version of E1M1 I made for me and my friend to deathmatch with. There are five cybers in a hidden "death" room, and if you get in one of the corners and let them rocket you long enough, sometimes you'll get pushed right through.

DOOM is based on deltas. Everything is change in position over change in time. If a movement delta for the x or y axis is too large, DOOM may actually skip clipping an object against some lines. The same thing can be easily observed by making a really fast enemy. It'll usually display semi-no-clipping behavior. Also, DOOM clipping seems sort of dodgy around vertices. Fireballs go through them very easily, even in ports that fix some problems with stuff going through walls, like MBF (and therefore, Eternity).

ZDoom only recently (after 1.22, anyway) increased the rate at which collision detection happens, fixing a lot of problems...

Hey, if you triggered the full-on noclip bug and then turned the noclip CHEAT on (and then maybe off again to possibly fully reset everything?), what would happen?

Something weird like that happened to me a while back. I was running along a wall (which increased my speed). At the end of the wall was an opening, but it was only 32 pixels wide. Somehow I got lauched through it eventhough the player normally can't enter such narrow openings.

I was using Doom2.exe and TVR!.wad

Yeah, I believe it's happened to me as well. It's pretty weird to get pushed through a wall. But still, I think doom, while not having an "advanced" physics engine, still has an extremely interesting engine, because it has so many weird things that can happen to it. Such as getting launched through a wall with a rocket. One of the weird things about doom is if you find an area where there's a gap in the wall but not quite wide enough to walk through, if you turn around but keep moving in the same direction eventually you'll go through the gap.

m0l0t0v said:

Something weird like that happened to me a while back. I was running along a wall (which increased my speed). At the end of the wall was an opening, but it was only 32 pixels wide. Somehow I got lauched through it eventhough the player normally can't enter such narrow openings.

I was using Doom2.exe and TVR!.wad

Some speedrunners use this trick regularily, even without use of rockets.

Little Faith said:

Some speedrunners use this trick regularily, even without use of rockets.

Like this.