Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shaviro

"Dead Simple"....for Quake 3!

Yes. I'm sure you've seen a large abundance of Doom remakes for Quake 3, but you haven't seen any by me until today! Good old "Dead Simple", altered to fit the Quake 3 universe. Screenies:

The map will be released pretty soon.
I need to recompile the map and take some new screens, these don't hav the best lighting.

Disorder said:

Looks very nice. But what about the models? Will you put some Doom models in there?

Nope! Just play it in Generations! :)

Damn, hurry up and get that thing done so we can download. It'll be a good excuse for me to go dust off my copy of Q3A, my favorite game for straight DM (it's so generic that it's perfect).

Rotting Corpse said:

Cool stuff! I would like to see some more texters tho. Looks a little bland.

It's called consistency. Well. It may look bland because of the bad lighting compilation. It looks better ingame anyway.

geekmarine said:

Damn, hurry up and get that thing done so we can download. It'll be a good excuse for me to go dust off my copy of Q3A, my favorite game for straight DM (it's so generic that it's perfect).

Well knock yourself out!

It's not the final version and the items have just been thrown in for bot testing. I still have to do the actual items placement.

Hard to believe that this is coming from the same person who makes those RTC-3057 levels ;) Very nice work.

Nice work. Doesn't quite capture the feel of playing map07 (due to it being changed for a more quakish theme) but nice work.

[Insert random response here]

[Edit]wow. Thanks for that fantastic piece of feedback, Andrew.[/Edit]

Damn, I'd really wish I could edit Quake 3 maps. I just don't have the time or patience to figure out Radiant.

[edit] Btw, awesome work man. I was too full of envy to be arsed with making a compliment at first :P

I noticed that the rocket launcher looks different in one of the screenies...where can I get the mod that does that (and whatever else)?

Job said:

I noticed that the rocket launcher looks different in one of the screenies...where can I get the mod that does that (and whatever else)?

Generations Arena

EDIT: I just had a run through the map. Nice job, Shaviro! The brush work looks good. Personally, I would have prefered the brown brick with grass theme from the orginal, instead of the metallic theme. But that's just personal taste. I noticed a spectator can fly outside and underneath the map; you'll need to place some clip brushes there.

With the proper item placement, this is gonna be a very playable map!

Doesn't look much like Dead Simple to me - but that's probably because of the Q3A textures, but it DOES look pretty sweet. Pity that Q3A didn't come with a proper sp campaign with good oldfashioned sp monsters to gun down. I'd love to run around in that map and shoot monsters, but since it's just Q3A mp stuff (or with bots), my interest is gone right after the initial excitement over the screenies.

btw,
*new avatar alert* who's that guy on your avatar Shav? Random guy?

dsm said:

btw,
*new avatar alert* who's that guy on your avatar Shav? Random guy?

Looks like that guy from Seinfeld to me.

Disorder said:

Ah, I thought he looked familiar!

Thanks for the comments, everybody!

Disorder said:

Yeah, I'm Kramer.

dsm said:

Doesn't look much like Dead Simple to me - but that's probably because of the Q3A textures

Blasphemer, those are Iikka textures, not Q3A textures! =P

dsm said:

Doesn't look much like Dead Simple to me - but that's probably because of the Q3A textures, but it DOES look pretty sweet. Pity that Q3A didn't come with a proper sp campaign with good oldfashioned sp monsters to gun down. I'd love to run around in that map and shoot monsters, but since it's just Q3A mp stuff (or with bots), my interest is gone right after the initial excitement over the screenies.

Has anyone considered a mod that has monsters you can gun down from the Doom series? ...I don't know if "Generations" already did that. Even deathmatching an imp, a baron and a cacodemon (kinda like Orbb) would be pretty cool.

Job said:

Even deathmatching an imp

I was under the impression that Klesk was supposed to be an imp. Could be wrong though.

Job said:

Has anyone considered a mod that has monsters you can gun down from the Doom series? ...I don't know if "Generations" already did that. Even deathmatching an imp, a baron and a cacodemon (kinda like Orbb) would be pretty cool.

Doom: Reborn was such a mod, but it got foxed by iD :-(

I was under the impression that Klesk was supposed to be an imp. Could be wrong though.

Since when did imps start using guns?
And aside from this little detail, the Klesk looks nothing like the imp - it's too orange in colour, its head looks totally different (imps are bald, remember) and its body has totally different proportions. And then of course, it doesn't make any hissy sounds that I would think are paramount in recreating the imp (you might recall from the D3 alpha that the imps do hiss a lot like they should).

Just being nitpicky :-)

Nice job, the map is great except for a few small things:

1 - Having a MegaHealth, regen, and haste in the map might be a bit much though I guess they come in handy for trying to get that BFG. :)

2 - You gotta tweek your clipping brushes as spectators are trapped outside the map.

3 - The walls could use something to brighten them up a bit as they're dark as hell right now. :p I dunno if just more general light or some kind of detail work would be best, but it's a small nitpick anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Damn fun, now we just gotta get a server going. :)

Maps you would refer them as "Dead Simple" according to these factors: square indoor area + square outdoor area around it

The architecture is awesome, but it doesn't seem too much alike Map7 despite of the shape of the map, texturing is more similar to Quake 2 imo.

999cop said:

Maps you would refer them as "Dead Simple" according to these factors: square indoor area + square outdoor area around it

The architecture is awesome, but it doesn't seem too much alike Map7 despite of the shape of the map, texturing is more similar to Quake 2 imo.

Yes, well. Architecture and texturing in the old one is horrible! :P

Nice work, Shaviro. I really like it. Looks like I've got a new favorite Q3A map. I'm glad you fixed the bots. Heh, the first version, I slaughtered them, with second place being 5 frags. This time, I lost to Doom. It's really fun, and it's just too bad that Quake 3 isn't SP, so that you'd get a chance to admire the magnificant scenery.