Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

Classic-style gameplay megaWAD?

Is anyone working on a megaWAD that has the classic DOOM gameplay? You know, no scripting or fancy effects, just clever and good looking map design, intense fights and classic DOOM action. For reference, see Alien Vendetta (at least the maps before it turns into total Hell Revealed-style mayhem), or better yet, Scythe (http://lmp.netfirms.com/scythe/). For single maps, see stuff like chordg by Malcolm Sailor.

The reason I'm asking is that I've been doing some textures that I'd like to see come to use and it seems I can't quite get any maps done myself any more. I want the textures to be in the kind of WAD that I personally enjoy the most, so thats why I'm looking for a "classic" type project without new enemies and all that.

I'm mainly doing goth/medieval style textures right now, but I have a stock pile of unused tech ones too, and intend to get cracking with a hellish set soon. It's easier to get ideas for new textures when you have a specific map to design them for, so if anyone think they have some maps that'll impress me, drop me a line at ukiro@ukiro.com. And please, no projects that have been in the works for bloody ages and not getting anywhere. I'd like to see my textures released before I die, you know.

The ideal project for this is something that (so far) uses only standard DOOM textures, is almost done and plays like Scythe (see link above). I will not supply these textures for single maps, I want a larger project.

Oh, and I should probably introduce myself: I did the textures (and a lot of maps) for The Darkening episode 2 and I've done some for Mordeth E3 as well as some other minor contributions here and there. I'd like to think that I've become much better now, though. These are Good Textures and I will take the liberty to be very picky about who gets them (I'm just saying that so you're aware I may say no to your project WAD).

Doom: Enigma is doing maps in the style of Doom 1, so I doubt they'll really be wanting lots of new textures. Of course I could be wrong.

EDIT: Actually all of the other classic style megawads I can think of, namely the Newdoom Community project, Plutonia 2 and Hellcore are pretty far into development. Whether they'd be willing to spend absolutely ages retexturing what they've already done is another question though... :)

Of course if you're up for making improved versions of existing Doom (2) textures, there's also Freedoom.

Ola...is that you? If it is, it's good to hear from you man! I just finished the "Community Chest" project with numerous people contributing maps. We made it with old fashioned Doom play in mind and it was for 32 maps. I sure wish we knew about some of these textures before we finished the project, would have loved to have used them. I have no projects myself going on right now, but I'm doing a map for Andy Leaver and it's for Doom2 style of play, so he's heading that project, maybe he could use them. Good to hear from you man! You made some of the best texture sets I have ever seen...

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Enigma seems like something that should really use standard textures, I think. Hellcore has been in the works since 1995 and considering that I'm not impressed by their progress chart. Heck, thats as bad as Duke Nukem Forever.

I will probably be submitting improved textures to Freedoom as well, but just not right now. I want to focus on one thing at a time, and currently its goth/medieval textures.

Whats this Andy Leaver project then? Does it have a site?

I plotted out the outlines of a simple story and details for the first 11 maps of a yet-to-be-started megaWAD, but I don't think I want to take on the responsibility it would mean to lead such a project (memories of darkening e2 still haunting me...). However, that textfile is also up for grabs if someone who think they have the energy required is interested.

The reason I'm looking for a project that is almost done is that I'm prepared to do a lot of retexturing. That's a lot easier to do than to make maps from scratch you know :) Also, it would be pretty easy to fix a map per day that way.

NHFL looks like something you could be interested in. It is pure classic Ultimate Doom with no unnessecary frills.

Andy Leaver's site is: aldp.vze.com

Me and espi (and a couple of other people, but mostly me and espi) is working on a doom1 megawad, the current name is (Doom:) flashback(s), dunno if it will be the title yet. It use the stadard textures tho.
No website for it yet tho. Just a couple of screenshots at doom2.net/~fb

There is more maps finished than these listed, just haven't updated/finished the page.
Laitos is not part of the megawad anymore tho. (I dunno yet, imo it is a bit large, it is one of espi's old maps).

But I am thinking of start up a doom2 megawad after we finished with this (I hope we will get finished around december for doom's birthday).So I dunno if you wanna join that one, I found one there can do music for it. And yes, it will be a classic megawad. Dunno if it will doom2.exe able tho, but think so. I hope to make/have something like av/scyteh, larger maps than scythe tho.

Gothic textures?, I have a map idea for the doom2 megawad, where I could need some castle/gothic textures.

Btw, welcome back. :)

those Flashback maps are top notch.
Espi definitely has the golden mapping touch. I pre-tested a few of these and when I sent him praise he off-loaded 1/2 of it onto Torn.... so I think these are just what you are looking for.

Opulent

Yeah those flashback pics look real nice, and No Hope For Life is really good stuff too. I'm actually _very_ impressed by NHFL, I'm surprised it seems to have recieved so little attention. I think the demo recording guys should do a pack for this one, it could be very, very entertaining. But since epiosde 1 of that one is done and uses pretty much only standard textures, I think they should stick to that concept for the remaining episodes too.

Also, I sort of feel that Doom 2 is what I want to work with. Sure, the Pain Elementals are horribly annoying but you don't have to use them :-) After all, Doom 2 has the Arch-vile which is one of my favourite game enemies of all time, and the SSG allows for quite different gameplay design than Ultimate Doom.

Classic gameplay? Be sure to check out the recently released Rebirth (great level design) and keep and eye out for episode 1 of my personal masterpiece megawad sometime this year! ;D

I havent played 2002 - A Doom Oddyssey yet (although it's downloaded) but I've played Rebirth. However, those are RELEASED, you know. No point in making textures for a released project, is there? :-)

ukiro said:

I plotted out the outlines of a simple story and details for the first 11 maps of a yet-to-be-started megaWAD, but I don't think I want to take on the responsibility it would mean to lead such a project (memories of darkening e2 still haunting me...). However, that textfile is also up for grabs if someone who think they have the energy required is interested.

I would like to see the outline, I was able to coordinate the "Community Chest" project pretty successfully, but like you said it can be a pain at times and the memories can be haunting. But I would like to look at it...

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

KHarris31@cfl.rr.com

OOh my bad, I guess I should read posts before replying. My projects textures are finished (most of them I did myself!) but a later zdoom project I've been planning would GREATLY benefit from cool gothic textures.

DOOM LIVES

ukiro said:

Also, I sort of feel that Doom 2 is what I want to work with. Sure, the Pain Elementals are horribly annoying but you don't have to use them :-) After all, Doom 2 has the Arch-vile which is one of my favourite game enemies of all time, and the SSG allows for quite different gameplay design than Ultimate Doom.

Heh, funny, the map idea I talked about I could need some gothic textures for, was a temple of arch-vile. :P
Funny, isn't it? :)

I was supposed to make map27 for hr2, but it seems I didn't get to. So, I am gonna use it for another wad (eg. this megawad).

ukiro said:

I havent played 2002 - A Doom Oddyssey yet (although it's downloaded)

Dude you should really, really play 2002ado, unless you don't like Ultimate Doom or something :)

Me.

My project's got two parts, actually, one has a more or less classic theme (from tech to hellish.) The hellish section will be somewhat gothic on sections, as it often is the case, but, more importantly, the second part of my project is aiming to be genuinely gothic, and it will most likely need new textures (whereas the fist will use standard textures, plus modifications and a few new ones that share their theme.)

My project is v1.9 compatible.

New Textures, Eh? Are they already compiled into a wad or do they need to be compiled? If not, give 'em to me and I'll do it :D

I could use a nice twist in my levels. Just don't send me whichever one might or might not replace the "MARBGRAY" texture or the "FLAT5_2" texture. I really wanna keep those.

Darkhaven3 said:

New Textures, Eh? Are they already compiled into a wad or do they need to be compiled? If not, give 'em to me and I'll do it :D

I could use a nice twist in my levels. Just don't send me whichever one might or might not replace the "MARBGRAY" texture or the "FLAT5_2" texture. I really wanna keep those.

I know my way around Wintex, don't you worry. And I don't *replace* FLATS, I *add*.

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear; I don't send these to anyone who wants them, I want to chose a project that I feel is worty of using them. So if you're interested you'll have to convince me you can make something good with them.

I could most certainly do something good with them, but there's no way I could convince anyone that I'm able to get something finished :P

Fredrik said:

I could most certainly do something good with them, but there's no way I could convince anyone that I'm able to get something finished :P

I believe you're quite like me in that regard, which is the reason I went looknig for someone else to use them in the first place ;-) I don't feel I can do the textures justice since they'd require several maps to show all different aspects of the current texture set, which I intend to expand a lot as well.

My goal is to make a very versatile texture set with pretty much any theme you can think of and with so many variations of each theme that noone will feel the need to make further changes or additions. This will then be released for anyone to use, much like gothictx.wad. But before then I'd like to see some maps released using these textures to set some sort of leading example for their usage.

ukiro said:

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear; I don't send these to anyone who wants them, I want to chose a project that I feel is worty of using them. So if you're interested you'll have to convince me you can make something good with them.

Well I'm not sure about the convincing part, I consider myself an accomplished designer, having been doing it so long. But none of my projects (all 2 of them) are finished or on any webspace, but I plan on whipping up something about that soon. Like I mentioned above I'd love to use these gothic textures for my future zdoom endevor, but that's several months down the line, after my megawad is wrapping up.

Anyway, if someone is progressing on a project that's in need of the resources that's okay too, it might be a while before I begin mine.

Pir II (not complete yet) will be a classic Doom II experenice too. And thanks for all the comments on NHFL. I hope EP II is up to par...

well this story of what i did would seem like one but its just a joke tc,

like before i knew how to make *.bat files, but had wintex i always merged my favorite doom wads into 1 file so i can play them well thats how this classic tc pretty much got started, i dunno if ill release it any time soon...

if im inspired to finish it i will

omg it's ola bjorling!!! <3

i'm sure your textures will find a good use somewhere. and yeah, you guys are right in thinking Doom: Enigma isn't going to contain (very many) new graphics.