Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cactus

zdoom textures..

I was wondering: how many textures can be inserted in a wad? I mean the max range?
The other question is about texture size:is it possible to have a,for example, 600x600 texture?

I'm not sure there is a limit to the number. For most practical applications, it's unlimited anyway. I have a wad with almost 3500 textures in it and it works just fine in Zdoom. A texture WAD that size is enough to make tools like Wintex and a number of other ports crash BTW, or at least it was last time I tried it.

In future (ie next release), Zdoom will support putting any graphic from a WAD onto the wall or even the floor/ceiling without including them in the texture definitions. So it will be even easier to add textures - just stick the graphic in a WAD and use the lump name on the wall or floor.

As for max size - I don't remember what it is, but it's pretty big. 2048x2048 sounds familiar, but I really don't know.

3500 texture wow!!
Anyway thanks enjay !!
BTW i am curious to know how do you made the trees scrool in njtrain.

...with a teleport line at the end to put them back at the start so that they can scroll past again.

Enjay said:

In future (ie next release), Zdoom will support putting any graphic from a WAD onto the wall or even the floor/ceiling without including them in the texture definitions. So it will be even easier to add textures - just stick the graphic in a WAD and use the lump name on the wall or floor.

actually that's not entirely true. Since there's no real way to check if a certain lump in a wad is a graphic or not (the header is pretty non-descript) you have to use a graphic that's either a) between F_START and F_END (if you do that they must be in flat, ie raw, format), b) between S_START and S_END, c) listed in the PNAMES lump or d) listed in the TEXTURE* lump. You can also use various hard-coded graphics to texture floors and walls, like TITLEPIC, INTERPIC etc etc however you can't just toss graphics into a wad as extra lumps and expect them to work. However it's fairly simple to add them to PNAMES (in XWE highlight and right click and then click 'add to patch names' and I'd imagine it's similarly easy to do it in deepsea) and then it works perfectly fine.

Cyb: why wouldn't it work? If you want to use a lump as a graphic, add a reference to it in a sidedef. If you don't want a lump to be used as a graphic, don't add a reference to it.

because like I said there's no way to know if a lump is a graphic or not. Zdoom would have to check all the sidedefs upon map load to see if it needs to convert another texture that it didn't previously know was a texture before. It's just excess needless crap that it doesn't need to do since it takes two seconds to add graphics to PNAMES.

So let the person who makes the map decide whether to specify the name of a real graphic or not, and load it with the level. Hardly a computational problem.

Fredrik said:

So let the person who makes the map decide whether to specify the name of a real graphic or not, and load it with the level. Hardly a computational problem.

your argument is pointless now since 'specifying the name of a real graphic' is exactly what putting it in the PNAMES lump is.

plus what I'm saying isn't speculation of any kind, it's exactly how the new texture system works

Cyb said:

your argument is pointless now since 'specifying the name of a real graphic' is exactly what putting it in the PNAMES lump is.

But why do it twice when one time is enough?

Fredrik said:

But why do it twice when one time is enough?

I don't follow now

Cyb said:

I don't follow now

Why add the texture to pnames AND sidedefs when adding it to sidedefs is enough?

I dunno I don't think storing texture names in map data is the best solution, they aren't really supposed to be used in that container-like way, plus there's the issue of map tints (applied as a lower or upper texture) which probably isn't too much of a problem (but still a small issue) and also what if you don't use a texture in a map but you later change a floor/ceiling or wall to now use that texture