Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #143

This is a rather interesting week of /newstuff. A lot of the wads that I'll be reviewing were made with the recently unveiled Doom Builder. Looks like Doom Builder is sweeping the Doom community by... uhh... anyway, there's eleven WADs to rip apart and review this time around. Six single player, four deathmatch and one music wad awaits you!

• Cybmapping!! - Various
    59kb - ZDoom - SP(img) (img) (img)
    Yay, speedmapping! As I did the last time I reviewed a speedmapping compliation, I shall perform my ingenius speedreviewing techniques:

MAP01: Shit
    MAP02: BAHAHAHAHA
    MAP03: Crap
    MAP04: Decent
    MAP05: Excellent, Cyb rocks!
    MAP06: OMG Boris map!

There we go. Got any complaints? Shove them up someone else's ass.

• Dark/Hard music - Chris "Mr. Chris" Pisarczyk
    159kb - ZDoom - N/A
    A bunch of MIDIs that Mr Chris found from various places. What else can I say? Ok, I do have to admit that he did pick a good choice of songs. There, now stop complaining about short reviews.

• .Void - Dennis "Exl" Meuwissen
    81kb - Legacy - DM(img) (img)
    I don't particularly like void maps, but this one actually seems to be decent for your standard 1-on-1 action. The map layout is quite nice, but the ungodly small amount of weapons and ammo decrease the overall score somewhat greatly. However, since those Legacy DMers use insanely low respawning times, I guess it wouldn't matter much to them. I really can't think of anything else to say about this, so if you're the type who enjoys falling off ledges, I command you to play this.

• DTCA - Map 17 - Military Operations - Cyber-Menace
    293kb - ZDoom - SP(img) (img)
    WORST DETAILING EVER. Who the hell is literally crazy enough to release something as fugly as this? The start area is really monotonous, and the somewhat long hallways are really dull, but the mission objective is one of the most original things I've seen in a Doom map. You have exactly five minutes to defuse six bombs that are "scattered" all over the map, but since the author was too dumb to really scatter them, it's a rather linear quest. Other than that innovative idea, it sucks badly.

• Heathen - Dennis "Exl" Meuwissen
    40kb - Doom2.exe - DM(img) (img) (img)
    Exl's other map for this week, and I actually like this one a lot. It has a E1/E2-ish theme to it, and the layout and gameplay are really smooth as well, though I don't really like teleporters in deathmatch. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't really make it fast-paced and whatnot. Still, the overall flow in this map is extremely fast, although the lift and the teleporters I mentioned earlier slow it down a bit. If I have to pick out a bad point about this, it'd be that there is no music replacement, nor an exit. Just because it's a DM map, doesn't mean you don't have to include an exit! (says me)

• Hell Keep II - Owen "Sarge Baldy" Lloyd
    21kb - FreeDOOM - SP(img) (img)
    Designed for the FreeDOOM project, this E3M1 tribute created by our favourite non-newstuff reviewer guy, Sarge Baldy, is a rather interesting piece of work. Another wad this week that was built with Doom Builder, this map keeps the E3M1-theme rather strongly. However, it's incredibly cramped and a bit short. With that in mind, it'd also be horrible for deathmatch, having to move around in such confined space. Another thing I have to nitpick about is that Baldy didn't include the rocket launcher secret! Argh! Oh well, grab it if you're the type who is closely following FreeDOOM development.

• Installation B - Alex Parsons
    75kb - Enhanced Port - SP(img) (img) (img)
    I finally get to review an Alex Parsons map. I keep hearing about how great they are, and now I finally have the chance to review one, I must say that its... great. I really love the E1-ish feel that Alex has made. The gameplay is not overly hard, but you will be running out of ammo quite often (I did, but I suck at SP). The non-linearness of this map makes it real fun to explore. A few areas are a bit cramped though, but since nobody cares about claustrophobic people anyway, I overall rate this as a really great single-level wad to play. I would give this the "SP wad of the week" medal, but unfortunately...

• Internal Reaches 2 - Samuel Villarreal
    126kb - Doom2.exe - SP(img) (img) (img)
    ...this claims the medal this week. If ZDaemon's co-op was finally fixed, I would tell someone to host a server of this right now. It just oozes in gameplay, not to mention that the theme suits this map perfectly. It's a bit hard for lesser-skilled players, but I got a real blast out of playing this. Apparently, this was made entirely with Doom Builder, so if Gherkin needed to have some screenshot to show what it can pull off, I'd tell him to use this map. It's also quite big, so those speedrunners who like recording long demos will definitely enjoy this. Since I'm pretty much speechless, I can't seem to say anything more but download it now!

• Kaiser's stupid deathmatch maps - Samuel Villarreal
    106kb - Doom.exe - SP(img) (img) (img)
    Nice name, although I think differently about these. Well, at least MAP01 anyway. There are two maps in this wad (MAP01 and MAP02), and I would have to say that MAP01 is about twenty billion times better than MAP02. MAP01 has that really strong exec.wad feeling to it, and the detailing is superb. MAP02 however, is a piece of symmetrical garbage. Ok, I didn't hate it THAT much, but it was still quite pathetic compared to MAP01. The new textures are nice (some stolen from Quake 2, I believe), but the lack of music replacements also fails it. If MAP02 wasn't bunched up with MAP01, I would say that this is excellent, but I'm really shocked about it.

• Sample Deathmatch map - Chris "Mr. Chris" Pisarczyk
    7kb - Doom2.exe - DM(img)
    This map was made with the second released version of Doom Builder. It's a small, crappy symmetrical map that you shouldn't play. I guess it was a decent example map for when Doom Builder wasn't as advanced, but compared to kaiser_1... Nope.

• Stylin' 2 - John Wantland
    59kb - Enhanced Port - SP(img) (img) (img)
    Here it is, the sequel to MAP01-Style! I haven't checked out MAP01-Style yet, but this is an excellent tribute to MAP02. It stays true to it's overall feel, and the intense amount of hitscan monsters also strengthens that feeling to it. At this rate, John will be able to make Doom 2-Style in about two months! Get it, it's worth the what, five seconds of download time that it'd take? Yeah, excellent.

I fully endorse these "Mapxx-style" and would like nothing more than to see a full Doom 2 megawad of them. Oh yeah fp props trolls where is cookie

edit: after playing both of them I un-endorse maps that claim to look like Map01 or Map02 but clearly do not

Sweet, I got the Linguica seal of approval. Well, sadly, I don't think there's going to be a Stylin' 3 next week, as I'll be heading off to college. That doesn't mean I won't stop, though, and I've already started working on it. Also, because of school, it'll probably slow down the break-neck speed at which I've been working. Still, I'll try to get at least one or two a month if I can. As for doing a megawad, geez, 32 levels. I don't know if I could ever make 32 levels. Currently, I'm shooting for at least one episode (the first 11 levels) replacing the first part of Doom II, up until the shutting down of the shields and freeing civilization. I'll just play it by ear, and see how long my creativity holds out.

Review for Cyber-Menace's Military Operations:WORST DETAILING EVER. Who the hell is literally crazy enough to release something as fugly as this? The start area is really monotonous, and the somewhat long hallways are really dull, but the mission objective is one of the most original things I've seen in a Doom map. You have exactly five minutes to defuse six bombs that are "scattered" all over the map, but since the author was too dumb to really scatter them, it's a rather linear quest. Other than that innovative idea, it sucks badly.

Ouch.

Tormentor667 said:

Boring newstuff again, as last week was :(

You want another go at it?

I'm surprised my first map since 2000 didn't get much of a good rating. I kinda expected that. Otherwise for my music wad, it seemed to have gotten a good rating.

Tormentor667 said:

Why? There's a good variety of wads, and some of them look of quite a high quality.

DUDE, last week's newstuff was made by MEWSE, if that's not exciting I don't know what is. Plus, Pacman was relesed last week, oh is that boring too? What do you consider exciting? I'll make it!

Linguica said:

I fully endorse these "Mapxx-style" and would like nothing more than to see a full Doom 2 megawad of them. Oh yeah fp props trolls where is cookie

edit: after playing both of them I un-endorse maps that claim to look like Map01 or Map02 but clearly do not

Hey, what the... I said INSPIRED, dammit. Yeesh, that's part of why I changed the name for Stylin' 2. I took the basic elements from those levels, and all I wanted to do was acknowledge that fact. Texture choices, monsters, layout, all were affected by the originals. Hell, if you wanted, I could do a room-by-room breakdown of my levels and point out every piece of architecture that was inspired by the originals (sure, I've often completely changed it, but it's there, if you look). Hell, my original title was Mapxx-remix, but I decided to change it from THAT because I know my levels didn't look close enough to the originals to be called remix.

sargebaldy said:

yay! heckuva lot faster isn't it? =P

Ohh, you're right.... ohh so, f*cking right! Doom Builder ownz!

c-cooper said:

Ohh, you're right.... ohh so, f*cking right! Doom Builder ownz!

You mean fucking, not f*cking.

Assmaster said:

Isnt cybmapping a resubmission?

nope, I never got around to uploading (read: I forgot) it back when we did it... a couple weeks/months ago or whenever it was

Epyo said:

What do you consider exciting?

Heh, you don't know the Tormentor theory? It goes something like this (written in crappy coding format):

if NOT_MY_CREATION = 1
printf("This is a shitty wad");
else
printf("This is the greatest project ever!");

Tormentor667 said:

Maybe but I'd like to see something special in every /newstuff. I hate the Classic Doom style and I want to be surprised if I play a wad (new sprites, new textures, "new stuff").

Well I agree about the classic doom part anyway. Zdoom > what.

But if you're looking for fancy wads like that, you'd better be prepared for a lot of boring newstuffs.

BBG said:

You mean fucking, not f*cking.

Geee, really!? And I was trying to write "smitten with a dwarf in a cup"...

actually i'm pretty sure it was written in C++...

and it's not like VB is an odd language to make an editor in, DoomCAD, WadAuthor, and Wintex are all VB editors.

deathz0r said:

Heh, you don't know the Tormentor theory? It goes something like this (written in crappy coding format):

if NOT_MY_CREATION = 1
printf("This is a shitty wad");
else
printf("This is the greatest project ever!");

heh.

#define 0 false
#define 1 true

int mine?;

script 1 OPEN
{
    if(mine? == 0)
    {
    print(s:"Garbage.");
    terminate;
    }

else if(mine? == 1)
    {
    print(s:"Yayhüraj! This is da cülest evur!");
    terminate;
    }

delay(1);
    restart;
}
Düd i need sleep dammit.

Tormentor667 said:

Boring newstuff again... I'd like to see something special in every /newstuff. I hate the Classic Doom style and I want to be surprised if I play a wad (new sprites, new textures, "new stuff").

how about you you 'surprise' us next week with one of your 'special' 'non-classic' levels. you've got about three days, that'll be plenty of time, and i'll be displeased if it bores me...