Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The "ExMx / Mapxx knockoff" list

After reading the latest /newstuff where someone made a WAD that purported to be an homage to Map02 but looked nothing like it, I got to thinking: how many levels have been made to imitate classic Doom / Doom 2 levels and themes?

If you guys know of any such levels, say some PWAD someone made that uses the textures and thematic elements of Map09 or something, it would be cool if you could gimme the filename so I could add it to a list or something. I'd like a compilation of knockoff levels because I just like the idea of a new WAD that's like classic Doom levels, only not.

E1M1 - Dweller1 Map02, nb_e1m01
E1M2
E1M3
E1M4
E1M5
E1M6
E1M7 - Timelessness
E1M8
E1M9

E2M1
E2M2 - Containment Area
E2M3
E2M4
E2M5
E2M6
E2M7
E2M8 - t_dunn02 Map22
E2M9

E3M1
E3M2 - The Outlands
E3M3
E3M4
E3M5
E3M6
E3M7
E3M8 - t_dunn02 Map22
E3M9

E4M1
E4M2
E4M3
E4M4
E4M5
E4M6
E4M7
E4M8
E4M9

Map01 - Skulltag D2DM1, nb_e1m01
Map02 - t_dunn02 Map02
Map03
Map04
Map05
Map06
Map07
Map08
Map09
Map10
Map11
Map12
Map13
Map14 - t_dunn02 Map17
Map15
Map16
Map17
Map18
Map19
Map20
Map21
Map22 - The Catacombs
Map23
Map24
Map25
Map26 - Abandoned Mines II
Map27
Map28
Map29
Map30
Map31
Map32

[rant]Hey! Watch your language, bub. All I ever said was that I was inspired by MAP02. I was specifically trying to avoid it looking exactly like MAP02 - I just used MAP02-type textures, made the layout circular, same types of enemies, etc. Basically, for all of my Stylin' levels, I break down each level into it's general components, and then create a completely different level using those general components.[/rant]

I remember a speedmapping session where the theme was to create a tribute to your favourite DooM 2 map....but I can't remember what or when it was.

Also the first map of Community Chest was inspired by some of the early DooM 2 maps.

And a wad called T_dunn02, that was early-DooM 2 themed as well.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

And a wad called T_dunn02, that was early-DooM 2 themed as well.

I forgot about T_dunn01, this is Phobos themed.

(and to complete the set, T_dunn03 is classic Heretic themed)

My map Timelessness. E1m7 look alike but runs on e1m3..Download is non exsistant atm. (Site changes) But I could e-mail it.

Aleaver said:

My map Timelessness. E1m7 look alike but runs on e1m3..Download is non exsistant atm. (Site changes) But I could e-mail it.

no, it's up. i put it in the archives a while back.

Dammit. Geoshitties strikes again. Their servers must be down or something. I can view my pages through the editor, but not in a browser. I was gonna let you use my ITSC waste processing plant. It's E1M4 (I think) and looks ep1 -ish.

Geoshitties is run by a bunch of tralks.

Okay this is pretty much off the top of my head, I've probably forgotten a ton of relevant stuff but here goes

Cleimos2 (A, B) 20 has bits lifted from pretty much every E1 map. Also for some reason I thought 27 bore a passing resemblance to Doom 2 MAP01 last time I played it but that might have just been my imagination

As was mentioned there's Fava Beans. That's just like cleimos2 20 in that various little parts of the maps are obvious reworkings of Doom E1 stuff. For example the two doors with a switch between them at the end of E1M2 reappears at the end of Fava 7.

Real World has many maps that are iwad inspired, I remember at least MAP01 and E4M6, I'd have to check the others

MAP29 stuff, yes there's Hell Revealed 24. There's also One Bloody Night 8

Punisher.wad is an edited MAP01. That reminds me, Plutonia 32 is as well but I don't know if that counts in this thread

I was going to post about the Containment Area tribute but you have it already, oh well

edit I got the cl2 links then wrong way round and when I wrote E4M2 I meant E4M6, damnit

RjY said:

Punisher.wad is an edited MAP01. That reminds me, Plutonia 32 is as well but I don't know if that counts in this thread

map32 of plutonia is an updated version of punisher.wad actually.

Herian 2 map22 very closely resembles Doom2 map02.

RW.wad map17's central area is clearly inspired by E4M6. Quite a number of the maps in that wad were inspired by TNT.wad or HR.wad (e.g. rw06-hr13; rw20-hr14).

A pwad called Doom3 (I have a version called Doom3v1b.wad) has areas based on some of the original maps. Its map06 has areas closely resembling E1M8, E2M8, and E3M8.

Dminator is an old pwad with edited and much extended original id maps.

And let's not forget 1337.wad map23 ("A Tribute To E1M3").

I wouldn't say HR map24 resembles Doom2 map29: it has the same style, but I can't think of any specific areas or features that are similar.

OO can we make brand new maps for this knockoff list? I might wanna do that.

Before I start how could I have forgotten nb_e1m01.wad before? It's spot on for this list

Anyway I downloaded rw.wad again, ran round each map with -nomonsters and wrote down what I thought the influences are

• 1: It's pretty much all based on Doom2 MAP01. However the very first room is clearly Doom E1M1 in construction if not in texturing.
  • 4: First major area after the start room is inspired from Hell Revealed 9 and the area after that is from Hell Revealed 13. I realise this is irrelevant to the thread but I have to put it in for completeness. I'm sorry
  • 13: For some reason I wrote down "vague resemblances to Hell Revealed 10 and 11"
  • 17: As Grazza posted, probably at the exact moment I was running round the map, it's Doom E4M6. That's morphic resonance for you
  • 18: the part just before you approach the yellow key is clearly the area of Doom E4M7 with the crossway stair, rocket launcher and red key
  • 19: I wrote down "that map in plutonia with the maze and the archviles" Now I have plutonia but apart from 32 I've not really played it much. This explains why I got this one completely wrong.
  • 20: Clearly Hell Revealed 14 with hints of Doom2 MAP13 thrown in.
sarge: I figured that about pl32 and punisher but I had guessed it was the other way round. It didn't occur to me that since pl32 has much cleaner architecture it would be the later one, instead for some reason I thought pl32 predated punisher because it has fewer monsters. So many thanks for clearing that up sir

Use3D: please do, I for one like a good homage map

Map 30 of the Community Chest project is clearly a 'remake' of the original map 30. This time the Icon of Sin is in 3D...

m0l0t0v said:

Map 30 of the Community Chest project is clearly a 'remake' of the original map 30. This time the Icon of Sin is in 3D...

uh map30 of almost every megawad is a 'remake' of map30 of doom2. community chest's map30 is actually the most original boss brain map i've seen. the one that most resembles doom2's map30 is Hell Revealed's map30

i would have to play through again, but, "PLAYMASTERS.WAD" (i think that is the filename...the name in the info txt file say that the name is playmasters...i think the filename may have been different...), has sooooooooo many levels based on levels from DooM 2...if i find it again, i will tell you what ones...i do remember a MAP07 and a MAP31 based level(s)...