Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

Half Life Editors

well, half-life is probably one of my favorite FPS's around, and Opposing Force is one of teh best mods avaliable. i've got this funky idea to make a half-life: opposing force mod, basically redoing DOOM with a storyline, more weapons, same enemies, et cetera. i'm searching for half life editors as we speak, but i was curious if anyone out there could reccomend some good editors. also, i'm curious if anyone is already trying (or already did) this. thanks guys!

Mr. Chris: As I read it, he's talking about Doom for Half-life, not Half-life for Doom.

Monochrome, I can't really help you besides to say that you'll have to be careful how you do it lest Id shut your project down (Think Generations).

Draconio said:

(Think Generations).

you'll have to explain it, don't remember this.

hopefully id wouldn't shut me down, it's just freelance fun, not trying to infringe on copyrights, et cetera. still, if they do, i would be honored (i mean, c'mon, it's id software telling me directly to shut down my project.

my only guess would be the half-life sdk, which can be found within minutes by asking your good friend google. and if google isn't your friend, any other search engine will help.
I tried to edit half-life, I gave up far too soon.

Heh, I never thought of calling the Doom marine Doom, but when you think about it, he is.

As far as I know and maybe this has changed...... you can't make a mod for Opposing Force, only maps. Been there, tried that and eventually gave up. It's been a long time since I gave up on my Op Force mod and maybe Gearbox released the info (source or whatever) that is needed to make a mod for Opposing Force. Maybe somebody else here knows better but the first thing id do is ask around the Half-Life guys and see what they say. I could be wrong and was misguided but im 90% sure it's not doable. All I can say is I made several Opposing Force maps and they worked great. When it came time to set them up in a seperated directory so the game would recognise it and run my mod from the 'custom' game menu, it ran fine but the Half-Life in-game stuff defaulted to HL....... meaning it would load Gordon instead of Sheppard, none of the Op Force weapons or monsters would show, etc....... Maybe there's a way around this but I never could find it and I looked high and low and afterwards went back to editing DooM. Anyhow if I was you id ask around and get the deal on Opposing Force modding before getting to excited. Sorry for the downer and I hope I'm wrong. You can always go for a Half-Life mod tho...

[edit] Actually I think some dude did make a Op Force mod and got around the problem by copying all the Op Force pak file info into one of the HL pak files and distributed it with his mod, but geez who wants to do that?

[edit] Oh and get the Hammer editor, which is what they're calling Worldcraft nowadays.....

Some guys on the Sven Co-op forum were gonna make an exact conversion of the Doom maps for the Half-Life mod, but they were told they couldn't use the Doom textures..

Mr. Chris said:
Some guys on the Sven Co-op forum were gonna make an exact conversion of the Doom maps for the Half-Life mod, but they were told they couldn't use the Doom textures..

then use the freedoom textures.

thanks for the info guys. one of my friends at school maps half-life maps and knows some coding, so i'm going to have him help me learn all the stuff. first though i'm gonna email id, sierra and gearbox and get permission to do all this, seeing as i don't wanna get into legal troubles, though i couldn't find an email on id's site.

the only other major problem i see is that my computer crashed two days ago, and my copies of doom was stolen (kid i loaned it to whose disks had been corrupted moved without giving it back). and of course i'm gonna be bitched at 'cause nobody will like doomguy's name, whatever it is, figure i'll keep shephard's name for the hell of it.