Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EsH

amp2 demo

I guess this is sort of on topic here. A lot of talk (at least on the tech side of things) is concerned with how the Doom3 engine is being copied (possibly lessening id's impact).

http://www.slamsoftware.com/ has an engine demo (amp2) out, and it's been out for some time. My computer's a bit slow for this, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has tried this out, and if they feel it compares/competes with Doom3's engine (for those who have eaten from the forbiden alpha-tree).

Also, does anyone know of other dot3/stencil-shadow-volume demos out there (besides the quake mod)?

I dl it at home and it's quite impressive since it's the first game I played with this stuff. It's very nice visually . But there's something about the gameplay that I don't like but I can't put my finger on it. Since I haven't played the alpha I cannot compare the games but if it's very similar to D3 I'm gonna be a bit dissapointed.

Edit : I gotta to say that my originial post was just a 5 mins rush in the map since I was going to school. Now that I'm back home I've been able to test it more detailly. Heh it's very impressive. I got a descent fps ranging from 35 to 125, normal was about 50. I didn't know it was possible to blow up some lights so I was suprised by the effect. I really see the "hiding in the shadow" stuff they say about D3. Stencil shadow are great and the textures are well made altough the program has it's bugs. The only way I found to exit was alt-F4 and if you die the program crashes. Still, it's enjoyable and it gives somewhat a good taste of what D3 will be like IMO.

Hi. I just tried it on another computer, and it ran at about 40 fps. It's sort of funny, but unless the lights are actually moving in a relatively dark area, it's easy to just miss (or ignore?) the bumpmapping and shadows. The last is in part because much of the light placement in this demo doesn't really show off much of the shadowing (besides casting the players shadow, most of the lighting casts the shadows into already dark corners). I think the doom engine is still going to have the upper hand here, because of the complex shader system and the physics showing off more of the dynamic lighting.

Your right though, it's a great taste of what Doom3 wil be like. Thnx for letting me know your thoughts.

BTW-- you exit by pressing the '~' key to get to the console, and then typing "exit". Haven't tried killing myself with those grenades...

The AMP engine is the same one used in the game Gore: The Ultimate Soldier, and it's really a pity that it was the only game to use the technology because it was really a pretty nice engine. A bit Quake-2-ey, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't tried AMP II yet but I'm sure it's pretty cool - I'll try it this weekend when I get my gaming box back up. *grumble*

heh, you want to see something using the graphics techniques of Doom 3. I can find an interesting little thing for you to watch.

http://www.monostep.org/demo/zoom3.html

It's a little demo made by two russian guys, uses the techniques of D3 and weighs in at 64kb. Yes, 64kb. You'll need a GF3 or higher card though, since it runs in realtime.

Check out some of the other demo's featured on the main site too. crazy stuff.

Thanks for the link, it's an amazing demo. I was actually more impressed with the compression technology, which is really cool (expecially for us 56k'ers). Lots of cool post-processing effects and surface shaders. Most of this, I don't think, will be possible in Doom3 because of the GF1 target. I can't imagine doing CPU based texture manipulation (such as shown in the demo), and shoving it up to the card every frame (or every few frames? hmmm...) It would be cool if you could walk around in the demo, but oh well. Anyway, thanks again, it's increadibly cool. That compression technology is something that needs looking up ;)

EsH said:

Thanks for the link, it's an amazing demo. I was actually more impressed with the compression technology, which is really cool (expecially for us 56k'ers). Lots of cool post-processing effects and surface shaders. Most of this, I don't think, will be possible in Doom3 because of the GF1 target. I can't imagine doing CPU based texture manipulation (such as shown in the demo), and shoving it up to the card every frame (or every few frames? hmmm...) It would be cool if you could walk around in the demo, but oh well. Anyway, thanks again, it's increadibly cool. That compression technology is something that needs looking up ;)

From what I know, DOOM 3 will support high level pixel floating point format and framebuffers for high-end shader effects. Of course, these are only for the people with latest and most powerful cards money can buy.

It's pretty impractical to think that DOOM 3 will not have certain features just because GeForce 1 level hardware doesn't support them. DOT3 bumpmapping wasn't in the GeForce 1, but that doesn't mean DOOM 3 won't have it in its engine.

AFAIK, Carmack is aiming for extremely high-fidelity and near CGI-quality graphics in the DOOM 3 engine. Some features will not be in the game, but (as Carmack has stated numerous times) will probably be in the engine as novelties.

Yeah. The compression is quite amazing, However, the best demo I have EVER seen, was one made three years ago, it was the first time I saw something like this it's hard to beleive what I saw on a 64k file.

theproduct.de is it's website, it's a few years old....but even today, it blows me away.

That was a cool demo. 640k memory forever!

(Note that after generating all the textures, the demos actual memory footprint is rather large)

Im not totally sure but i think Zooradoo is wrong, because in the Quakecon speech Carmack says hes against synthesis, and wants to keep the power of artists.

I doubt carmack would go back and add a faeture for something none of the game uses (but then again we did have perpolygon stencil shadows in quake 3 and gimmick stuff like that might appear)

Zoorado said:

It's pretty impractical to think that DOOM 3 will not have certain features just because GeForce 1 level hardware doesn't support them. DOT3 bumpmapping wasn't in the GeForce 1, but that doesn't mean DOOM 3 won't have it in its engine.

DOT3 Bompmapping WAS in the geforce 1, dot3 bumpmapping is required for the engine to work in fact.

Carmack has said that he'll make use of the advanced features in the NV3x and R3xx series of cards. I mean, come on, a GeForce 1 could only do so much...

And no, the GeForce 1 doesn't support DOT3 bumpmapping. That's a fact. Only cards since the GeForce 3 features that.

Furthermore, Carmack told us in his .plan update at the beginning of this year that he has added a few new features to the engine. Several other next-gen graphical features will also be in, but most probably as novelties for the engine, like stencil shadow support for Q3.