Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gherkin

Quick Boom question

/me reads about Generalized Linedefs...
W1, WR, S1, SR, G1, GR... WTF? What do D1 and DR stand for? It doesnt explain them in the Boom specs :\

W1 - walk to trigger, one-time only
WR - walk to trigger, repeatedly
D1 - door trigger (activates sector on second side), one-time only
DR - door trigger (activates sector on second side), repeatedly
S1 - use to trigger (switch), one-time only
SR - use to trigger (switch), repeatedly
G1 - shoot to trigger, one-time only
GR - shoot to trigger, repeatedly

Since W/G/D/S are all part of the original Doom, I guess the authors of the Boom specs simply figured everyone would already know what they are :)

Hey you could help me with a boom thing too. What's the sector types for high/low friction flats?

I know ZDoom has both Boom support and Hexen support, but can they be used mixed? Can I make a Hexen map, use Hexen linedefs and in the same map Boom's generalized linedefs too?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that works. AFAIK all maps are internally formated to Hexen format by ZDoom anyways.

DR/D1 always existed in Doom, so they are not new to Boom.

They stand for "doors" (sectors) that not need a tag number. The line itself activate the sector behind. In BOOM (or MBF? Don't remember)also the sector behind the sector activated slowly changes its light level to level of the sector in the other side of the linedef. Bit of confussing, but i'm sure this is documented in one of the .txt files coming with BOOM (the same applies to MBF, Eternity and other boom-related source ports).

CYA!!

NokturnuS said:

They stand for "doors" (sectors) that not need a tag number. The line itself activate the sector behind. In BOOM (or MBF? Don't remember)also the sector behind the sector activated slowly changes its light level to level of the sector in the other side of the linedef. Bit of confussing, but i'm sure this is documented in one of the .txt files coming with BOOM (the same applies to MBF, Eternity and other boom-related source ports).

I didn't know that. that is f'ing cool.

NokturnuS said:
In BOOM (or MBF? Don't remember)also the sector behind the sector activated slowly changes its light level to level of the sector in the other side of the linedef.

It's a Boom feature, and inherited by 'next-gen' ports such as MBF and Eternity. The light level changes for -any- sector that is TAGGED similar to the door. Those non-door tagged sectors are not going to act like a door because the Dx trigger only affects the tagged sector on the 2nd linedef of the triggerline (that is, the actual door). The light change also works in conjunction with the 213/261 triggers.

Lee *did* snazz up the effect in MBF, though ;) The light fading is much smoother than it was in BOOM.

Gherkin said:

I know ZDoom has both Boom support and Hexen support, but can they be used mixed? Can I make a Hexen map, use Hexen linedefs and in the same map Boom's generalized linedefs too?

No, you can't - at least not directly. When ZDoom loads a Doom style map it does a conversion into the Hexen format. In this process ZDoom maps the generalized Boom linedefs to types called Generic_Ceiling, Generic_Floor and so on. There is really no need to do it in such a complicated way with the linedef parameter system Hexen and ZDoom have. You have all the functionality of Boom if you make a Hexen map for ZDoom but you'd have to do it differently (and more intuitively IMHO).