Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
insertwackynamehere

What games give you the same feeling you have while playing Doom?

Usually, when I'm playing Doom, it means I'm bored enough to have open wad author and tried making something.

So heres some other games that make me feel bored:

The Sims
Any NES game using an actual console
Most Final Fantasy games, except 7, cause tifas got the mad jugs
Duke Nukem (and most other build engine games)

Doom always kept me glued to the screen.

The only other games that have done that were Sonic the Hedgehog games, and then my favorite RPG, Grandia 2. Oh yeah, and Diablo 2 before my friends played it and talked it to death last year. The 1st time through its great...after that fuck it.

nothing really.. doom has a feel all it's own to me. the only games that have addicted me as much as doom are the civ series (ok, and tetris) though obviously the feeling is a lot different =P

Duke Nukem 3D and Serious Sam have given me the most Doomish feelings.

There was this one part in Halo that had this Doom 3-eque feel to it.

Uh, nothing. That's why I play Doom more than any other game.

There are no others - not even Doom 2 because Doom 2's levels don't awake the same feelings in me.

The Merovingian said:

Metroid Fusion happens to drive me into the same intrigued and addicted mood.

Yeah, they're amazingly similar in atmosphere.

Doom has no equal.

Although I find it sad that Doom now only gives me slight glimpses of that nostalgic feel I used to get playing it.

I'm not sure....a lot of different games have awakened different sorts of feelings in me when I've played them, but as far as I'm concerned, nothing comes close to that feeling I get when I play Doom.

The closest would be Quake 2. And to a lesser degree Duke Nukem 3D, because although the engine is similar, the feel isn't quite right since it's so cheesey.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows; Bravo Sector(shareware episode)

Hocus Pocus; Time Tripping(shareware episode)

The music from both as well.

I will be eternally grateful if someone knows how to rip stuff from these games, as well as Shadow Caster.

Doom is really it's own thing. Some games like Aliens vs. Predator scared me like DooM. Some games, like Half-Life, were as new and intriguing as DooM, and some, like Elite Force, and Serious Same, have the same frenzied killing as DooM. Still, there is nothing that's really like DooM, Knee Deep in the Dead.

Streets of Rage...

Its nothing like doom. Its a 2d sidescrolling beat em up, but its got that same clean and simple feeling to it as doom has.

I agree on raptor as well. Wish I could find that game

NiGHTMARE said:

Wolfenstein 3D comes closest.

actually, now that i think about it, i can agree with that. kind of strange that doom has a more similar feel to wolf3d than doom2, but that's how it is for me.

Draconio said:

Ravage, you could try this site, under the Video Games > PC Section for the Raptor and Hocus Pocus music.
http://www.laurasmidiheaven.com/indextest.shtml

Cool, but is it just me, or is all game music distorted when converted to midi? :P

Now If I could rip sprites and texture and such too. :)

well...the only game i can think of would have to be River City Ransom for the NES...i wonder if a RCR DooM TC would work...any of you think it would?

Many have tried, all have failed to produce the feeling I had during the initial Doom days.

Thinking it over a bit more, I'd add Crimsonland to my list. Tapan Kaikki also comes to mind, but it has a more Wolfenstein 3D / Rise of the Triad feel to it since it's tile based and you fight humans instead of monsters.

As for a River City Ransom TC for Doom? I'm not so sure it would work out, since one is based around melee fighting and the other on gunfire and projectiles. I think the Metroid TC was a more feasable idea, pity it never got off the ground from what I heard.