• Shadow Wood
    • Monastery
    • Castle of Grief
    • Necropolis
    • Blight (DK hub 1)
    • Constable`s Gate (DK hub 2)
    • Nave (DK hub 3)

Ichor said:

Dark Citadel was worse. It was just an octagon room with a web-like design on the floor and three glass windows.

Yeah, really. It's like (and I suspect this is true) they spent the good part of their time on the main levels, and rushed the final boss levels.

ravage said:

Um, you stole that idea from DK. :) But that had four.

There's a Duke map like that as well - it's a city that has cars going round the edge of it, firing rockets at you. (unless you use Atomic, in which case they won't fire)

Korax's strength and abilities threw off the gameplay balance (the same thing sorta occurs with Hexen 2 and Eidolon) because even if you don't have to, you try not to go all out against the previous bosses because you would expect the final battle to be hell by comparison. I guess it was true in both cases, the Heresiarchs were just as strong, had better defensive capabilities, and were far more mobile. In Hexen 2... sheesh, War was absolutely brutal compared to Eidolon the first time through, although the transformation sequence was pretty damn slick at the time. :)

EDIT: Regarding the Dark Citadel, it didn't strike me until recently just how weak the level is... "wow so this is a Dark Citadel eh, the conclusion of this journey that made Hexen seem easy. Psssh."

The map is actually quite hard. What makes it easy is the fact that you have all of your weapons, 25 of all the common artifacts (Quartz Flasks, Flechettes, etc.), and around 10 to 15 of the rare ones, including a bunch of Icons of the Defender.

Argh, Blight is pretty cool but it's the freaking worst hub puzzle-wise. It takes twice as long as any other hub, mainly due to three of its seven levels having four part puzzles each aside from the usual all around puzzles. Hopefully the other DK hubs get better with a faster pace, like the hubs tend to do throughout normal Hexen. They probably just liked started out with an über puzzle and hopefully they got it out of their system.

The other two hubs do have a lot of puzzles (usually finding keys and puzzle pieces), but they aren't quite as convoluted or confusing.

Heh, if you find the wings of wraith in the first hub of DeathKings of the Dark Citadel (I think there's only one of them) or buy them in the shop in Korax mod, you can beat the next hub, Constable's Gate, in literally thirty seconds. It certainly makes up for the über nightmare puzzle on top of puzzle that the first hub was.

Playing it the first time, I stumbled across the end pretty damn quick before going to any other levels of the hub, but then I reloaded my last save and explored the whole hub anyway and found its secret level.

Well one more hub to play through before voting...

In normal Hexen, the Wings of Wrath don't transfer from one hub to another, even if you don't use them (they do in Korax mod though). Strangely enough, there's two of them in the second hub, one in Armory and the other near the end. However, if you do use them to quickly get through the second hub, you'll be missing out on a lot of experience, money, and items.

Oh, I didn't know normal Hexen strips you of them (Anything else they take away?). But they are available in the first shop in DeathKings of the Dark Citadel (in KM of course).

And I said:

...but then I reloaded my last save and explored the whole hub anyway and found its secret level.

They do take away the keys you've collected, but that's alright, since you won't be using those keys in any other hub.