Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Aliotroph?

CD prices cut

I checked my main Hotmail account today and found a surprising article on the M$N page after. Seems the Canadian music industry decided we were all angry about the price of music, and thanks to our pirating decided to lower the prices of CDs! Who would have thought?!?!

Hopefully other countries will follow suit after they realise that this is a fantastic idea. Lower prices = more sales = more money for them.

awesome, i've been expecting this for some time. with canadian prices lower it's likely everyone else will eventually be forced to lower prices as well. since the only reason prices were so high to begin with is the RIAA is a cartel.

Grazza said:

Yay, less music! Cool!

how do you mean? CDs are meant to benefit the recording companies, not the artists, and producer surplus has always been extremely high on the price of CDs.

but the need isn't there. since that link is down i can't see how much lower they're selling CDs for, but producer surplus is high enough that unless they made CDs $4.00 a pop they're still going to have a nice fat profit margin.

AndrewB said:

I just can't understand why anyone would be sucker enough to pay more than a few bucks for a CD.

Technically, your not just buying the CD. Your also buying the brand name. And the right to listen to the artist's work.

They claim they're organizing this new scheme to give a bigger cut to the artists. That's probably a good thing unless the artists are Britney Spears and such.

I like the ability to buy songs online for 99 cents.

ravage said:

Technically, your not just buying the CD. Your also buying the brand name. And the right to listen to the artist's work.

Bah.. right to listen.. the right to listen is free on the radio.

I haven't bought a music CD in a long loooong time. Why? Cause for the price of a CD, I can order pizza for two.. I can buy a shirt. I can go to the zoo. I can buy a small spindle.

Why is it the music industry makes more then the medical industry? People who save lives. People who help us stay healthy?

Blah. Can't listen to music if you're dead.

I knew there was something fishy going on when the CD prices suddenly began to pick up a dollar more each year.

And to Grazza and AndrewB:

An acceptable price for a new CD is around 10-12 bucks NOT 15-20!

Little Faith said:

And to Grazza and AndrewB:

An acceptable price for a new CD is around 10-12 bucks NOT 15-20!

No, an acceptable price (for me) would be $2 to $5. Otherwise I would never choose to buy a CD. And I have, in a roundabout way, never chosen to buy a CD.

Heh most of the music I listen to apparently has so little commercial value that it goes for $7-$10 or so per CD in regular (online) shops. A fully acceptable price, for good music, of course. I never buy an album unless I've heard the most of it and know that it's good.

I'm about to order a couple of game soundtrack CDs from Japan, btw. It'll be quite a bit more expensive, but it's worth it. Exceptional purchase.

the majority of the money made from a cd price goes to the label the cd is released under, not the artist

Cyb said:

the majority of the money made from a cd price goes to the label the cd is released under, not the artist

Yep :(

Silverwyvern said:

Bah.. right to listen.. the right to listen is free on the radio.

Yeah, if you like crap and pop, I guess.

Anyway, this is GREAT news. Even though I've been buying CDs all this time anyway, now I'll probably be buying more with these cheaper prices. I just hope the labels arent taking this out on the artists and slashing THEIR pay too.

I'm sure the artists will revolt and do something about this someday, hopefully soon.

BTW what is the Canadian equalvent of the US's RIAA?

Cyb said:

And you would have to have been living as a hermit to not have repeated knowledge of this fact.

Summary: Thank you, Professor Obvious.