Find results in...
Sephiroth

the doom information page

we should have a page that explains basic things about doom

example:

why is there no look up/down in doom?
doom was created at a time when that was not a common feature

why will doom not work in windowsXP or 2000
doom was writen for DOS, windowsXP/2000 are based on NT and thus not DOS. get a port such as: edge, prboom, zdoom, legacy, jdoom and others

why do people still play doom?
doom was the biggest and baddest of its time. many of us grew up when it came out, and thus it has stuck with us. it may be dated but fun has no date

why does this game get a bad rep?
doom struck a few nerves with religious smelly hippies that suck. also the columbine killers played the game. so america needed a scapegoat, or rather those dirty smelly hippies that drive the hitler mobile, needed a scapegoat.

What is DOS and what does it have to do with doom?
DOS was the operating system doom was made to run in. if you are new to doom chances are you may have never even seen DOS. you need a port for modern systems.

IF doom is opensource why cant i just download the main wad files?
the code of the original engine and all spinoff ports are freely distributed. however the wad contains art, sounds and other such stuff that is copyrighted. either wait to see if Id releases doom as total freeware, buy the game, or wait for freedoom.

what is freedoom?
a project to creat a freely distributed Iwad for doom2

http://doomencyclo.free.fr/

And the bigger reason that doom is still a classic favorite is it massive editability that still continues to grow as time passes. For crying out loud, zdoom is now better than Duke 3D.

Sephiroth said:

opps, sorry for the caps
we should have a page that explain basic things about doom

example:

Actually, proper look up/down isnt possible in doom because of the way the engine works. Essentially its because all the walls are rendered vertically in Doom. To have proper look up/down you need to be able to render walls at angles that arent vertical, which the Doom engine cant do.

why will doom not work in windowsXP or 2000
doom was writen for DOS

Well, doom.exe was, but actually, Doom was written on NeXT machines,

doom is able to run on windowsxp, its another reason why it might not run with that windows version.

btw, whats the name of the doom engine?

Inferno said:

btw, whats the name of the doom engine?

Uh... "the Doom engine" :P

Though in fact I think it's called Playloop. No, I'm not just talking about the fact that it says "P_Init: Init Playloop state" when you start the game, I actually recall reading somewhere that Playloop was the internal name for the engine itself. Though that information could've been erroneous.

AFAIK, the Doom engine's name is "They're green and pissed" or something like that. I could be wrong though, but I got that from a Doom Map Editor's Guide that had some backstory on ID and Doom.

Sephiroth said:

Because the game wasn't 100% 3-D so looking up and down would distort the perspective in a way that I'm confident iD didn't want - plus at the time it wasn't overly necessary.

why does this game get a bad rep?
doom struck a few nerves with religious smelly hippies that suck. also the columbine killers played the game. so america needed a scapegoat, or rather those dirty smelly hippies that drive the hitler mobile, needed a scapegoat.

Best response to this question that anyone has ever devised! :-P