Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revenant_fister

Generations Arena

Hey,

Have you guys heard of Generations Arena? It's a Quake 3 mod that allows you to use the Doom weapons in multiplayer, among other things. I thought I should mention it here, because I've not seen any news about it on Doomworld before, and I thought some of the people who read this site might be interested!

http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/generations/index.shtml

It looks awesome to me!

Is it me who don't know how to get a game to run on my comp or does the new version of Gen Arena take millennia to load each arena now with all the new item models?

chilvence said:

It does take a long time. A very long time.

Even that statement isn't accurate enough.
The first time I tried loading up a map I thought the damn thing crashed my comp, so I rebooted and tried again, to find that the same thing happened.
I then proceeded to sit down and eat my dinner while leaving the comp as it was - I had only just finished eating when the map finally booted up more or less.

I also had some annoying problems with lag even though I only played against bots - but that might only have been because of my firewall and Q3A trying to get in touch with the internet.[edit]Nope, shutting down the firewall doesn't change a thing - it's still laggy as Hell. And yes, I did set the hunkmegs to 128.[/edit]

Most of the new items look damn sexy though (with a few exceptions) - I'm totally in love with the Doom energy cells (not the big cell packs though - they seem to somehow...lack detail) and pretty much all the Quake 1 and Quake 2 items look spiffy.

Something just struck me (*Smack!*), how come Generations IS legal?
I mean, the game obviously took weapons from other iD games and put them into Q3A - especially the Strogg class weapons look very similar to the original Q2 weapons. However, as soon as somebody does, e.g. the Doom monsters from scratch and puts them into Q3A, THEN it's illegal.

I don't get this - I mean surely those weapons are iD's property as well and shouldn't be regarded too differently from characters in other iD games?

I never had a problem with lag (while playing against bots) or level loading. I'm very impressed with this version of Generations, and I can't wait to see it with all the weapons 100% complete.

dsm said:

Something just struck me (*Smack!*), how come Generations IS legal?
I mean, the game obviously took weapons from other iD games and put them into Q3A - especially the Strogg class weapons look very similar to the original Q2 weapons. However, as soon as somebody does, e.g. the Doom monsters from scratch and puts them into Q3A, THEN it's illegal.

I don't get this - I mean surely those weapons are iD's property as well and shouldn't be regarded too differently from characters in other iD games?

I was wondering the exact same thing...

Mancubus II said:

I was wondering the exact same thing...

K, here's what I've found out.

The weapons are not copyrighted for some reason (don't ask - maybe iD deliberately neglected to copyright those to allow the modding community more freedom overall), but the characters are.

Gen Arena uses Quake 3 Arena which already has all the characters (except BJ from Wolf3d, so they created a model that looked similar, but not quite alike and slightly altered his name to Sergeant "Sarge" Blaze) and since the weapons are not copyrigthed they can freely recreate those.

So there you have it.