Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser

The Unused Slider Door code in Doom2

I was wondering if anyone has actually enabled that code. If so is it very effective? or is it prone to glitches?
This just came to thought just now...

btw, pardon my typos...

if it was abandoned, it may have been fatally flawed. polyobjs seem to solve the problem more nicely than a code hack could anyways.

It is an enormously crude hack. The only thing it seems to do is to animate the texture of a two-sided wall and remove/set the BLOCKING flag as needed. Obviously such a construct not only would look odd, the biggest problem would be that it didn't block any attack which would make it totally useless (unless using ZDoom which has a BLOCKEVERYTHING flag)

Sounds similar to the effect they did with animated doors in Strife, and which is now possible using ACS in Zdoom and the block everything option as Graf Zahl said.

See this site http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/ just over half the way down the page for an example I threw together a while ago.

You need to disable Norton Internet Security before this site lets you DL stuff, other wise NIS confuses the Lycos anti-remote linking code.

Not only would the non-blocking of attacks be a problem, but also, you wouldn't be able to walk through the door until it was fully open, and also, the game's framerate would have been abysmal in very complex areas, since looking "into" multiple rooms with 2S lines for doorways will cause more and more redraw. And back in 1996, that was actually an important consideration for a majority of users ;)

wolf3d had sliding doors, they were probably trying to adapt that solution to the new engine and it didnt work.. :P

Deathman said:

I guess they must of tried to mimic the doors in Maps 31 and 32 in Doom2.

Judging from the hard coded texture names that seems likely.