Find results in...
Flametrooper

Why is Doomguy... left-handed ?

Flametrooper said:

1. Switch to fists
2. Press fire
3. It's funny. Laugh.

WHY IS DOOMGUY LEFT-HANDED ?

Why is it that so many right-handed people see left-handed as wrong???

ravage said:

Is Hercules left handed?

yes

actually it does have something to do with getting more testosterone during development, which is why guys are far more likely to be left handed, and particularly tough, hairy guys.

Flametrooper said:

WHY IS DOOMGUY LEFT-HANDED ?

Actually, a better question might be why is he inconsistently left handed? I'm sure he's not holding the shotgun like a lefty.

Mind you, I usually consider myself left handed, but I hold pistols, shotguns and rifles like a "righty". I do a lot of strength based stuff right handed actually, motor skill and dexterity stuff tends to be left handed but there is a whole pile of stuff that I am happy doing with either the left or the right (confused the hell out of a guy trying to teach me archery).

From what I remember of my first year psychology lectures (which isn't much) about 70% of the population are fully right handed, 10% fully left handed, leaving 20% somewhere in the middle.

It's usually easier for me to call myself a lefty because the common indicators (such as which hand I write with) are left (mind you, I'm not too bad at writing with the right), but, yes, I think on balance I'm as much ambidextrous as anything.

This comes in very handy (pun) when doing certain things. You know that really awkward bolt on the car you can never reach or turn the spanner on, or the nail you can't quite hammer, or the bit of woodwork you can't get the paint brush on to because your hand gets in the way? No problem, just swap hands. :-)

sargebaldy said:

yeah, my brother is left-handed but holds a shotgun right-handed as well. you sound ambidextrous to me though.

I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

I'm left handed in most things but I use a computer like a righty.

Statistically left handed people are more likely to die in an accident. Many say this is because they are more clumsy than "us normal people" :p, but I think it's because everything is made for right handed folk.

I don't understand how I can type pretty fast and I use the mouse with my right hand, but I can't write with my right hand.

It seems to me I remember one of the early shareware versions having the fist on the right. Could have been my imagination though.

Who cares? Eternity has a mirroring thing so you can choose right or left handed, but you know, Doom looks weird when you fire right-handed.

Heh, I'm a righty myself. I've tried writing with my left hand and it looks even worse than my right hand writing :)

Graf Zahl said:

Why is it that so many right-handed people see left-handed as wrong???

I'm should be asking that question too, seeing as how I'M left-handed myself.

sargebaldy said:

actually it does have something to do with getting more testosterone during development, which is why guys are far more likely to be left handed, and particularly tough, hairy guys.

Then I must be an exception to that rule :(

Enjay said:

Actually, a better question might be why is he inconsistently left handed? I'm sure he's not holding the shotgun like a lefty.

Actually, he IS holding it like a lefty. The dominant arm is used to keep the gun steady and actually hold it, while the other arm is used to pump it. When I "pretend" to use a shotgun, I hold it the same way Doomguy holds it, in my left hand.

zarcyb said:

I'm left handed in most things but I use a computer like a righty.

Call me crazy, doesn't EVERYBODY put their mouse on the right side? ;)

I hold shotguns like the doomguy too... I always thought that it was the "righty" way of holding it.

Is Max Payne a southpaw? It's strange what one doesn't notice sometimes.

Python_Junkie said:

Actually, he IS holding it like a lefty. The dominant arm is used to keep the gun steady and actually hold it, while the other arm is used to pump it.

Not sure what you mean there. SHTGB0, SHTGC0 and SHTGD0 all show the Doom Guy's left hand pulling back the pump/reload mechanism. Or did you mean by "pump it" pull the trigger? Whatever, I know a lot of people who use both shotguns and rifles (as a result of quite a few of them being in the military - the rest being farmers). I'm the only "lefty" amongst them, but we all hold a shotgun/ rifle the same way. Surely I can't be the only one who has it correct?

Python_Junkie said:

They do if they buy that wonderful invention - The Microsoft Ergonomic Mouse - curved but still manages to fit comfortably in either hand. Balls! The thing is clearly bent and sloped in such a way as to fit the right hand. Ever tried holding one of those in your left? Gah! I've searched high and low for one bent the other way, but no joy. Still, I'm happy with my universal mouse that I use in my left. I'm almost as comfortable using a mouse in the right though, so when I'm at work, using a communal machine I don't bother to switch things around.

If the Doomguy held the shotgun like a true left handed person... that is placing the butt of the rifle in your left shoulder and grabbing the grip with your right hand, he would end up ejecting shells into his face. They do make left handed rifles and weapons, they're just rare.

He punches and fires the pistol left-handed, but fires the shotgun, super shotung and plasma gun right-handed. Maybe he's ambidextrous - but then again, maybe not. (I'm right-handed but can fire guns with left or right)

Python_Junkie said:

No, I have my mouse placed at the left side. I simply cannot use it with my right hand. Which makes it rather annoying for me to work on other people's computers (and vice versa!)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

He punches and fires the pistol left-handed, but fires the shotgun, super shotung and plasma gun right-handed. Maybe he's ambidextrous - but then again, maybe not. (I'm right-handed but can fire guns with left or right)

Yeah, I used to assume he was ambidextrous when I still cared. Nowadays I'm so used to the Doom weapons that I don't take notice.