Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Python_Junkie

The official TMNT appreciation thread

What rules about each TMNT universe (except The Next Mutation):

Mirage (New and old): Simply put, it's moodier, more violent, and THERE'S ACTUAL KILLING IN IT! If they made a movie directly from the Mirage comic book series, it would be rated PG-13 at least. Don't believe me? Why not read the entire first issue for yourselves? Blood, action, profanity, violence, I LOVE IT! And the put the icing on the cake, the original comic's as old as I am! (in years, anyway) I have been introduced to volume 4 of the Mirage comic as well, and let me tell you, it doesn't disappoint IMO. There is one tragic even that just happened in the past issue, but it's SO tragic to hardcore TMNT fans that I don't want to begin to spoil it for you, just in case you are one of those who hasn't read issue 10 yet.

Original Cartoon: No doubt about it, this is what I grew up with, and I still love most of it today! The general opinion about it is that the first "season" (which was just a 5-part introductory miniseries) was the best because it was the least "kiddy" in its mood, action, and dialogue, and I'm just now tending to agree with that notion. However, the third season is just as memorable to me. Think about it, many of the most memorble episodes such as "Cowabunga Shredhead", "Pizza by the Shred", "Super Bebop and Mighty Rocksteady", and "Sky Turtles" appear in that season alone. It had the best humor in it as well, though it's downside was it's lack of real action. Not many know of the 8th-10th seasons, unofficially dubbed the "Red Sky" episodes because they always took place at night with a red sky, in which Shredder and Krang are pretty much out of the picture (although they make guest appearances in Season 10) and a new villian comes in, an alien named Dregg. Season 8 I felt was almost on par with season 1; the only thing that kept it from being exactly like season 1 was that it still had a "kid" element to it. I rarely regard season 9, season 10 was OK, except that it had a lousy series finale. You'll have to watch it to know what I mean.

Image comic series: If you thought Mirage was explicit, hehehehe....

Movies (first 2): What else can I say? The first movie was perfect not only in Eastman and Laird's eyes but in mine as well! A vast majority of the first movie was based off Mirage Vol. 1 mentioned above, which is why there's no Krang, Technodrome, or Rocksteady and Bebop. The only elements from the cartoon are: the turtles' colored bandanas (they all wear red in Mirage), their obsessive love of pizza, and April as a news reporter (she started out as Baxter Stockman's lab assistant in Mirage). All the rest was Mirage-based. Sadly, for those who truly knew what TMNT was, many parents complained about the amount of violence and how it was so unlike the cartoon (what dumbasses), so New Line decided to succumb to the will of those yuppies and hence the second, watered-down movie was born. I'm not completely bashing it, however. It still great elements and humor to it ("Thanks, Raph! I may never have the hiccups again!"), it just wasn't as moody, that was it's only real drawback. Don't get me started on that piece of trash called TMNT 3...

Video games: Hands down, my favorite game of all is the original arcade game. Sure, Turtles in Time may have been more advanced in its capabilities, but it came about for similar reasons as the second movie did; it was TOO goofy for me. At least the first arcade game had a serious tone to it. As far as the console games for it go, the only ones I don't particularly like are the Tournament Fighter games and TMNT III for Game Boy (Radical Rescue). Play 'em (either on the systems themselves or on an emulator), and you might understand...

Now, what say we go on a bit of a nostalgia trip and talk about TMNT?

Wheeee, I was wondering when it would come =)

TMNT was one of the few cartoons I watched back in the day, along with the Mario & Zelda series. I don't really remember what I liked about it as opposed to the other shows, but it kept me entertained. I didn't really like the movies either, although it's all too far back to remember anything specific. The NES game was the only NES game I owned and never beat. Out of about 60+ games, that's saying a lot.

Heh, I still have some TMNT trading cards and a blanket downstairs. My bedroom used to be decorated in that stuff.

BTW, have a new avatar.

heh... the original nes TMNT game was fucking rock hard. It took me years to beat it... the final corridors in the technodrome level were skadgie material in excelsior.

I seem to remember the game box art was fucking awesome.

Heh. I used to watch that show when I was a little kid, and I collected the action figures, watched the movies etc.

Never read the original comics though.

I used to love the cartoons when I was a kid - one of my fave cartoons at the time (and I had the figures, cards etc.). And the SNES game (TMHT Tournament Fighter) was one of my fave fighting games ever.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah you still suck

Aaaaaanyways, I watched the old TMNT series back when I was a lad, and I had (and might still have) some TMNT action figure toys around here somewheres.

I watched the new TMNT series all the way up to the Shredder showdown double episode. I watched many of the old episodes but I didn't exactly log them so I have no clue how many and over how many seasons.

I think I might have beaten TMNT1 once upon a time but I am not sure, but I definitely played through 2 and 3, and the Fall of the Foot game for the Game Boy. Haven't played any other TMNT games much.

The movies were fun when I was in 3rd grade.

I could name each turtle and the weapon they used, as well as play the games impressivley at age 3... or was it 4? Anyhow, I am forever a ninja. Hell, I recently got this awesome TMNT katana with sounds and crap at walmart. It freaking owns.

I'll have to check out that Mirage comic sometime, I've never heard of it until now.

Dunbar said:

I could name each turtle and the weapon they used, as well as play the games impressivley at age 3... or was it 4? Anyhow, I am forever a ninja. Hell, I recently got this awesome TMNT katana with sounds and crap at walmart. It freaking owns.

I'll have to check out that Mirage comic sometime, I've never heard of it until now.

May I ask how old you are? Heh.

I was stabbed once when I stole the wrong persons chair infront of the TV when the show first came out all those years ago. Even when she was a pre-teen my neice Tracy was fairly psychotic. When she says "nobody better take my chair" she really really really means it. :) In case you're wondering it was a smallish steak knife and didn't go far into my arm. It makes a great story though. :p

Dunbar said:

Not surprised that you haven't, most people never knew it started out as a comic and not the cartoon...

Issue 11 of the vol. 4 comic was just recently released, but they sell fast, so I'd suggest you either find one quick or just wait and order a back issue from the official site (it's snail-mail orders only, though).

In any case, I am convinced that turtlemania has returned!

BTW, anybody ever read the UGO articles on TMNT-related stuff? Hilarious, I tell you...

I watched TMNT back when I was a small tot, along with The Super Mario Brothers Super Show, Legend Of Zelda, and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. :D
I watch it now too. :D
Every Saturday Morning on at 10:30am and 11:00am on the FoX Box! :D
Right after Kirby at 9:00am, Sonic-X at 9:30am, and Shaman King at 10:00am! (For my time zone anyways)[/plug]
The old TMNT Theme ruled, my friend has the german version of it and its hilarious. :D The new theme Is awesome too. :D
There is also a New Game coming out for Ps2 (not sure of other consoles) and it looks Shelltastic, like one shell of a game! :D
Turtles Counting off! 1 2 3 4! :D
I also used to have huge TMNT Stuffies, I had Donatello (sp?) :D And I also have a TMNT Desk coverer, and Pillow I've had since I was born and blankets. :D
Cowabunga! :D

Wait a second, Dunbar...

Do you watch the new show at all (I forgot to mention that in my initial post :( )? If so, then you already got an idea of what the Mirage Vol. 1 comic series started out as.

BBG said:

May I ask how old you are? Heh.

I'm 16, a TMNT fan for 14 years now.

Python_Junkie said:

Do you watch the new show at all (I forgot to mention that in my initial post :( )? If so, then you already got an idea of what the Mirage Vol. 1 comic series started out as.

No, I don't watch the new show... I would, but we don't have cable anymore. I should have Direct TV soon though, so I'll have to check it out then.

I checked out the link to that comic, and damn! I gotta find me some back issues at my comic store in the mall.

Not exactly the most well drawn thing I've seen, but I definitely like the more serious edge than what the kiddies are subjected to. Which is why the first TMNT movie is close to immortal to me. It was just that damned good. Don't get me wrong though, I really REALLY enjoyed all the old school TMNT shows when I was growing up.. god I loved them.. and still do! Much more than the new TMNT.