Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven3

Tenebrae Quake uses Doom 3 Tech. ?!

I've gotten word of a Quake source port called "Tenebrae Quake."

I also hear it uses Doom 3 Technology, such as stencil shading, bumpmapping and specularity mapping!

Friggin cool or what? :P

Old news.

And it doesn't put all those nifty buzzwords to any particularly good use.

And its feeble attempts to put those buzzwords to use are actually pretty half-assed.

Tenebrae looks good in screenshots, but playing it is a whole other story. It's unoptomized and uses a pretty ugly game as the base, so, in the end, it still looks pretty ugly, as it is Quake and all. Search for Amp2 demo. It's like "Doom 3 Lite" IMO.

In all fairness, I think that Quake mod was just a sort of investigation into the general techniques. There is a Tenebrae2 coming out, that more fully realizes the new technologies. Also, I think there are a few non-quake related maps for the first version, which look much better than the quake oriented maps. Still, like BBG said, the Amp2 demo is a much more strait forward way to get a preview of Doom3-like lighting.

You guys should play Industri, which is a couple of small levels using the Tenebrae engine. When you actually see a level which is built for the engine, it's so much better than just playing quake with the tenebrae engine. Although the models do still suck a bit cos of their low polycount.

I would love to see Fuhquake with Tenebrae's technology.

Fuhquake + Tenebrae = <3

hm.. myself, as a major quake 1 modder, have tried tenebrae and its not that great.. btw, the bumpmapping is NO big deal.. jsut about every quake 1 engine uses bumpmapping, just not as good as doom 3's... And tenebrae really is not that good.. its really nice, but with their lighting it causes too much glossyness and the shadows sometimes get ugly when u have multiple lights on one object.. it cant really cast multiple shadows very well.. :S

dEaThMaStEr said:

btw, the bumpmapping is NO big deal.. jsut about every quake 1 engine uses bumpmapping

Show me..

just not as good as doom 3's

You need bumpmaps/normalmaps to see it work properly. Look at ]these screenshots

... And tenebrae really is not that good.. its really nice, but with their lighting it causes too much glossyness

Because Q1 does not include bumpmaps/normalmaps...You as an Q1 modder should know this!

and the shadows sometimes get ugly when u have multiple lights on one object.. it cant really cast multiple shadows very well.. :S

Look at ]theseor look overhere at this page. And please show me where this was done better in your opinion.

wow dude.. u are the lord of ignorance... Was done better in darkplaces first off.. Second, NO SHIT quake doesnt come with bumbmaps, but genuis, i was using them!! not that great... you STILL run with too much gloss, bumpmaps or no... And i think darkplaces has MUCH better shadows, and the same lighting of tenebrae without the over-gloss look.. Oh, and as for other engines that use bumpmapping, look around.. like i said, almost every single custom engine..

dEaThMaStEr said:

wow dude.. u are the lord of ignorance... Was done better in darkplaces first off.. Second, NO SHIT quake doesnt come with bumbmaps, but genuis, i was using them!! not that great... you STILL run with too much gloss, bumpmaps or no... And i think darkplaces has MUCH better shadows, and the same lighting of tenebrae without the over-gloss look.. Oh, and as for other engines that use bumpmapping, look around.. like i said, almost every single custom engine..

I don't know why I even try to answer you, mister misfunctioning sHiFt kEY. Darkplaces does not have realistic shadow effects on every object in the game world like Tenebrae. And even when it had, it still don't make sense you describing Tenebrae as "not that good". But why do I care what a 12 year old has to say on Q1 engines...

LMAO!! i love how some poeple make such assumptions.. your probably so damn stupid you never actually USED any of the darkpalces functions.. it has just as much graphical power as tenebrae, if not more.. actually, id say more cause tenebrae's particle system blows... :D

dEaThMaStEr said:

LMAO!! i love how some poeple make such assumptions.. your probably so damn stupid you never actually USED any of the darkpalces functions.. it has just as much graphical power as tenebrae, if not more.. actually, id say more cause tenebrae's particle system blows... :D

I prefer Darkplaces because it's faster, but the dynamic lighting looks awful in the newer versions, and has done for ages. The last time I liked the way it looked was back around when the Nehahra mod was released. However, the real time lighting in it sucks when enabled, and even without bump/gloss/luma mapping is almost as slow as tenebrae.

ehh?? i just used all realtime lighting, it was about 10 FPS faster then tenebrae for me... And the dynamic lights, i really like.. Mainly becuase LordHavok has increased the level for full light, and textures and models can get VERY bright.. :D The flashblend isnt too fancy, but just disable that.. :D Actually, the flashblend kinda sucks.. :D Myself, i found a really cool method of flashblend.. I just spawn a particle for it.. Looks great! :D

Tenebrae is by far the most amazing fan-created "mod" (for lack of a better word" I've ever seen.

Download the texture packs they've worked on and use them with Tenebrae... and don't forget to try the test level.

Outside of the Doom III alpha, the Tenebrae test level is the best looking thing you can get for free on the internet.

I dont know about that tenebrae looks cheap but the colors and everything are amazing ill give it that. Its pretty badass all around especially for so called amateurs to have done it.