Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Look what I found!

This looks mighty interesting.
I wonder who did that comic?

Anyone who can read and understand that language (French perhaps? It looks like French to me), who's willing to tell us illiterate bastards what's being said by the characters in the comic?

**** = either a sound the charac. makes or a France French expression that we don't use here (Québec) :/

Bill : Euargll
Mike : Bill, I told you not to do this in my back . I warned you !
Bill : stupid ****

//end page 1

Mike : C'mon Bill get up.
Mike : I didn't hit hard.
Bill : **** ****

Mike : There's movement in center street. We'll go there first.
Mike : The URBS cops are already there.
Bill : Those URBS ! Shit that means we'll see RedField
Mike : Yeah I know.

Police man : Hey ! Those guy are crazy !

Redfield : ALL RIGHT ! WHAT'S THIS SHIT !

// end page 2

Mike : Here we go. I don't feel this mission.

Redfield : Hey ! You two ! Get your ugly mugs here !

RedField : Who do you think you are ! C'mon go cover the West sector of Redmerds street and report back any movement the riot makes !
Redfield (thinking) : Parkson... I should've known...

Mike : Yes lieutenant.
Mike (thinking) : Who do you think you are you dumbass. If this goes on I'll become racist...

Bill : Affirmative lieutenant.
Mike (thinking) : God. Go take a break...

Mike : Bill, I'm in position. You ?

//end page 3

Bill : Yeah Mike, awaiting instruction... There's crowd here.

Mike : Yeah see it. Hope there won't be any problems.

Redfield : Kill the first 3 rows 666 ; you and 532 are the best in position to take out the leaders and return some calm here.
Mike : Pardon ?
Redfield : You heard me. Do IT !

Mike : But they're not armed and are not a potential threat !
Redfield : Don't start complaining. It's an order !

*Trough Bill's helmet *
Mike : It's an illegal order !
Mike : It's not my problem ! They're not armed and innocent !
*Trough Bill's helmet *
Bill (thinking) : Ouch looks like things are heating up down there. I must check Mike...

*Trough Bill's helmet *
Mike : No ! I refuse lieutenant
Mike : WHAT ! Refuse to obey orders ! Your order is purely ILLEGAL !
*Trough Bill's helmet *

//end page 4

Bill : Shit ! Redfield ! Stupid bastard...
*Trough Bill's helmet *
Mike : You know what lieutenant ?
Mike : You're a sick bastard !
*Trough Bill's helmet *

Redfield : Continue like this and it will not end good ! You really start to annoy me !
Mike : You too.

//end page 5

This story reminds me of a text in deimos lab.

Admiral Guyang,

Your report about the portal incident is on my desk at this very moment. I feel like there are some points here we deeply need to clarify, especially regarding Sergeant Flynn's affectation. I know you have a copy of his past record and I know also this copy is not complete, so I will try to forget your words about our laziness in management.

The only information on the copy regarding Flynn's life before he entered the UAC army is the word "TAGGART": apparently, you do not fully understand its meaning. TAGGART stands for "Terrorist Acts, Guerillas, Get-aways And Riots Troops", one of the most elite part of the Earth Defense Agency (as far as I know, only 56 men were part of it this far). The name says it all: this is a special section for special operations. I do not believe I have to explain you how selective the entry can be. These are the best marines on Earth.

This group was especially trained to gain autonomy, in case headquarters would be destroyed. This does not help in respecting hierarchical protocols: Glenn Flynn was transferred from the EDA to the UAC army after he had nearly killed his superior with a unique punch.

Investigations establish that Flynn refused to shoot a group of students during the famous protestations in Tokyo last year. You seem very concerned by mismanagement: know that Flynn was affected in a classical unit. He told his superior there were a group of trouble makers who were much more dangerous in his opinion than the young adults. His superior told him to 'Shut up and stay in line!'. Of course, Flynn did not. He took the commandment of his unit and prevented a nuclear bomb to destroy half the Asian continent. That is the main reason why he escaped to death penalty.

Now, understand me well: I do not endorse anarchy in our army, but Flynn is on Deimos and there are very good reasons for this affectation. Anyway, if you are not pleased with his work on the portal security, you can always transfer him to the secondary project.

Grand Admiral Michael O'Neal
UAC Army Supreme Commander

Very interesting, though it's just the typical interpretation of Doom 1's backstory about riots and stuff, but on the other hand, who doesn't interpret it like that anyway.

I hope the guy continues the comic though - it seems kinda professionally done in one way or another.

everybody has a different idea of why doomguy assulted his superior officer, and like dsm said it's usually because of a riot. i think the forbidden doom novel might be one of the few instances where it's something otherwise. wish this was in english, this is pretty cool (the translation works though, thanks darkstalker)

monochrome said:

everybody has a different idea of why doomguy assulted his superior officer, and like dsm said it's usually because of a riot. i think the forbidden doom novel might be one of the few instances where it's something otherwise. wish this was in english, this is pretty cool (the translation works though, thanks darkstalker)

Yeah, that's definitely one of the few good points about the first Doom Novel - not that I'm fond of the way the event is described anyway, but what the Hell, it's a different idea :-)

Someone needs to encourage this guy to keep working on the comic - maybe persuade him to either translate it to English or get someone to translate it for him - shouldn't be too hard, given the 'many' French blokes on this forum :-)

Btw, I checked his site and found more art - that guy's really damn good.

[edit]Heh, no wonder the guy's good - I checked his resume because I was curious and found that he's got professional experience[/edit]

Hmm... mixed feelings here. His site had a few neat drawings... but I personally hated the way he drew the people in the comic, and alot of the art just seems slightly off to me.

He could benefit from a life drawing course to improve his anatomy and perspective skills, as well as facial structure and proportion.

Alot of his computer art seems to be cut and paste jobs smudged to perfection.

I will say this though, that I never judge an artist by a comic alone (which is why I made the above statement to his site art mostly)

Let's just say we all know how fast I splooge the green pile onto a page. It is not by far my best work.

Woah, silver... I've rarely seen you that critical. I have the feeling most of his drawings are quite old which would explain why some are great and others quite bad.

I'm grumpy cause I got left at home again for the whole day. ;)

I'm actually very critical of all art I view. I just don't usually post about it

I'm not bashing though. I always make a point of naming the places I feel could be improved.

Constructive criticism. ;)

Heh, I never judge art on proportions - I judge on detail. maybe that's because I'm not good at proportions?

The reason I think this guy is good is because it seems his art is done with a ball-point pen. I've done a few pics with a ball-point pen and those drawings really suck compared to what I can do with a pencil. Making appropriate shading and adding details is not always easy with such a tool, hence I'm impressed about this guy's skill with a ball-point pen.

As for proportions... well, I've seen professional artists do comics worse than this (and btw, this guy is apparently a pro himself).

Btw Silver, would you do me a favour? If you feel like it, try and point out where the guy has problems with facial structures, because I find that a bit difficult (I might've noticed one part where the facial structure isn't perfect)? I'd be very grateful if you would do this, because I certainly could do with some hints in that area.

dsm said:

Heh, I never judge art on proportions - I judge on detail.

Proportions are superior to details. Translates to Doom levels too. No, I'm serious.

Hm, I better restate my comment: I don't judge art on proportions if I don't immediately have a huge problem with them.

So if I see something with awesome detail and with *one* minor little issue on, say, lenght of legs which I don't notice immediately, then I ignore the problem.

However, if the drawing is clearly totally out of proportions (like tiny, short torso, ridiculously long arms and a retardedly small head - stuff like that) then it will bother me.

You don't put the shingles on a house before you build a solid frame.

"Lipstick on a dead pig" to quote my teacher again.

If the structure is bad, then you throw all the detail on it like cheap christmas decorations, it's going to look worse.

dsm said:

(like tiny, short torso, ridiculously long arms and a retardedly small head - stuff like that) then it will bother me.

even when it is a importand part of the concept. like "the man with the rediculous long leggs and 3 fingers? and once side fatter then the other side?" O_o

EVIL said:

even when it is a importand part of the concept. like "the man with the rediculous long leggs and 3 fingers? and once side fatter then the other side?" O_o

Of course not!
I was referring to situations where such things would be out of place - like with a drawing of the Doomguy.

I don't like to comment on proportional flaws on other people's art, because seriously, who am I to tell them that they screwed up in that area? I make that kind of mistakes myself and even worse mistakes, so if someone does something better than what I'd typically do myself, I usually go "Wow, that rocks!" and I do it deliberately, because I'd hate to discourage someone with a decent ounce of talent from continue drawing.

Silverwyvern said:

Let's just say we all know how fast I splooge the green pile onto a page. It is not by far my best work.

...speaking of which, when is the next installment due? i'm eagerly awaiting it